Dealing with Archers - SA: Lock Shield & Cavalry

Qwyk, It's hard to make up in numbers what you lack in quality when your archers cost 41 POINTS! ::o:

As for the ICA the more my opponent uses the better I like it. It means he has less to spend on real troops! ::P:

They get 2 shots each Combat action with Marksmen for 41 points if they're willing to sacrifice a Movement Action. Add in a bless so they have RAV 2. It still costs less than a pair of my Bull Orc Archers with an equivalent RAV.

That's where the quantity comes from. More shots, not more models.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Qwyk, It's hard to make up in numbers what you lack in quality when your archers cost 41 POINTS! ::o:

As for the ICA the more my opponent uses the better I like it. It means he has less to spend on real troops! ::P:

They get 2 shots each Combat action with Marksmen for 41 points if they're willing to sacrifice a Movement Action. Add in a bless so they have RAV 2. It still costs less than a pair of my Bull Orc Archers with an equivalent RAV.

The ICA add a touch of useful ranged attack to the Crusaders. No one is going to confuse them with the strength of the faction, but any time you can attack the enemy without Defensive Strikes is good. They aren't useless (broken in melee I'll grant you...), but they shouldn't be the bulk of your troops.

PS

And yet, ironically, you mention "Bless," which requires "more models."

There's also the fact that the Bull Orc Archers have a better Range, better inherent RAV, better MAV, better DV, and have Tough/1.

On the other hand, there's also the Elf Archers that, for 3pts more than the ICA, have better Move (plus Ranger SA), better RAV, better Range, and in an Elf army they have a better Volley and Sure Shot.

I didn't say the ICA or Khamsin Rangers were great. I was just pointing out when I said quantity, I meant in the number of shots, not the number of models. Clearly, there is not much quality with these models. They are more just to have some sort of ranged threat to keep people a little honest. I'd take my two Bull Orc Archers over a single ICA with Bless any day. I wasn't trying to compare their quality. That's painfully obvious.

With 4 or 5 of the ICA or Khamsin Rangers, and Marksmen, odds are going to give you at least a single hit with some regularity.

I was just pointing out when I said quantity, I meant in the number of shots, not the number of models.

True enough Qwyk, my mistake.

I'd take my two Bull Orc Archers over a single ICA with Bless any day.

Note to self: Kill his Bull Orc Archers with Bone Horror or Walking Avatar. :poke:

You're welcome to try :devil: Just don't forget that they hit back pretty hard and don't die as easily as those other pathetic wretches that call themselves archers.

That's until the Elf faction book comes out and the Elves get SA:Bane when attacking Reven archers...Bane arrows as equipment :devil: !

That's until the Elf faction book comes out and the Elves get SA:Bane when attacking Reven archers...Bane arrows as equipment :devil: !

I dunno about that, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a Warlord Equivalent of the CAV 'Run and Gun' as either an Elven Sublist SA, or one some Super-Adept Archers possess.

Besides, your archers have to actually hit me for the Bane to work :poke: And now I make sure I check all terrain to make sure it's not wide open, and I just cannot see the opening on your side because of the angle. <_<

How do you squish elven archers? They dominated me last night and kept me cowering in fear behind cover. Any attempt to rush a 20 attack wave of arrows results in mass death. Parking heir deathsquad in the corner of the board that had limited cover for that corner presented a situation were the majority of my grunts would have had to spend a full double move in the open. And depending on init would give them a 2nd round of pummelling before they could engage the evil tree huggers.

How do you squish elven archers? They dominated me last night and kept me cowering in fear behind cover. Any attempt to rush a 20 attack wave of arrows results in mass death. Parking heir deathsquad in the corner of the board that had limited cover for that corner presented a situation were the majority of my grunts would have had to spend a full double move in the open. And depending on init would give them a 2nd round of pummelling before they could engage the evil tree huggers.

Bring cavalry, or teleport a hero.

PS

Accept your losses and charge them. You know you're going to die. Make sure you bring enough fodder for acceptable losses. Higher DV or fast models help.

Cavalry works great. Flyers if you have them. Use cover while you can, but don't just stay hidden behind it like rabbits. Move your own archers in close and hit them back. Elven Archers die really easy. It's just getting there to kill them that can be difficult. You have to be fairly aggressive with Elves. Sitting back and taking your time just means more rounds for them to shoot at you and not move.

Pete :wub: the fastball special of Ymrilix the veg-o-matic being sent by Balthon.

I've faced them only twice.

The first time I took my licks and charged them and made short work of them. However, they made the mistake of advancing in that scenario so I could get to them with a charge. This time however, they sat back and rained down death at range.

Last night I was playing Crusaders, my 3 archers were useless in this situation as they were outranged by 12" on a volley. If I double moved to close, I was in the open and sitting ducks. My cavalry was on the wrong end of the board during deployment and unfortunately got killed before they could get to the archers. My other grunts couldn't get free/through his grunts to get to his archers before time was called. And unfortunately, being crusaders my mage options aren't the greatest so I didn't take any and didn't have a nasty, flaming surpise for my Sylvan friends.