Dealing with Archers - SA: Lock Shield & Cavalry

I've faced them only twice.

The first time I took my licks and charged them and made short work of them. However, they made the mistake of advancing in that scenario so I could get to them with a charge. This time however, they sat back and rained down death at range.

Last night I was playing Crusaders, my 3 archers were useless in this situation as they were outranged by 12" on a volley. If I double moved to close, I was in the open and sitting ducks. My cavalry was on the wrong end of the board during deployment and unfortunately got killed before they could get to the archers. My other grunts couldn't get free/through his grunts to get to his archers before time was called. And unfortunately, being crusaders my mage options aren't the greatest so I didn't take any and didn't have a nasty, flaming surpise for my Sylvan friends.

I've faced elves a lot of times. Lots. I find I play much better against elves than other armies. I think it's clarity of purpose. Kill the archers, kill the archers, kill the archers...!

Of course in our campaigns I set up all my armies to fight elves, and the Nefso & Reven were handing me my rear.

PS

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course in our campaigns I set up all my armies to fight elves, and the Nefso & Reven were handing me my rear.

Therein lies the problem. ::D: It's a general tourney without foreknowledge of your opponent's faction and no way to alter your force.

I've got a few ideas, but I guess we'll see what happens. Qwyk covered almost all of them - though I didn't think of Hold, which I may actually use. Thanks. :poke:

If you somehow managed to get a perpendicular angle on the shieldwall and ranked up crossbowmen, would a part be able to do anything exciting? I've never actually seen it used so I don't know it's usefulness.

Wild Bill :blues:

Hope your elven opponents make the classic mistake of going very Archer heavy, like max Archer models for army size, as opposed to using a smaller number of Archers and good supporting tactics. A too heavy Archer army, is pretty easy to slaughter. Most of the points are soaked up into a few models, and they are easy as heck to kill. Even ICA can hit an elven archer 50% of the time. Shield them until you get your archers into range and shoot them back.

I've got a few ideas, but I guess we'll see what happens. Qwyk covered almost all of them - though I didn't think of Hold, which I may actually use. Thanks. :poke:

Burrowing units are also quite effective. As burrowers are relatively rare, opponents often don't bring defense against them.