Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

X3-Last stand **SPOILERS ALERT**

Saw it last night with an open mind. I never listen to the critics reviews as they over analyze movies way too much. It was....disapointing.

The first two films were so awsome, I have them on DVD and have watched them both dozens of times and after watching the third, it seemed to lack the "magic" of the Brian Singer touch.

Anyone else seen it yet?

I've heard the same thing about this film as well.

I haven't even seen the 2nd one, but when I was a teen I use to love the xmen & Marvel comics in general (until the guest star in the comics, pretty much became the hero in the comic themselves (nice tactic Marvel, yah right)

anyways, the people with the parts sounded cool (Kelsey Grammer--Beast, etc) but in a way I kinda expected this with this film, for some reason) Just to many bad things to happen along the way (new director, Halle almost quitting, etc etc)

RM

It was about what I expected. "Dark Pheonix light". I don't think it was bad, just not great. I think it lacked the emotional resonance of the first but there was certainly more action with some nods to some of the comic geeks. My wife who is not a fan of the comics seemed to like it the best of the three. I did think the first scene with Angel was pretty poignant.

Just got back from it myself, I would like to thank everybody who lowered my expectations so that I could enjoy it (not just those here).

Of course, I'm not a comic book junky, so the I didn't catch all the "rewrites" and since I didn't see XMII, I assumed the flimsy charcter developement meant it had been taken care of already. I had been told about the fight at the Dam in II, so the lack of explanation there didn't phase me either.

So I give it a thumbs up, but with the caveat that it may not be for the comic purist and that you should approach it as just a good action flick with some flat character developement. The thing is, the former can be said of any comic book movie and the latter can be said of so many Hollywood films it's almost a given.

I liked it. It was X-Men, there isn't much of anything cooler than that. But if you don't love X-Men the way I do, then it probably won't have too much to offer you.

It's just open here in Aus and while I enjoyed it , it felt somehow wrong (can't put my finger on it exactly) , but still an enjoyable experience if just for the action .

I really enjoyed it myself, I'm not a huge comic book fan, but I do have a passing familiarity with the series. there were a few specific things i had some problems with, and a couple of spots of what I found to be eye-rollingly bad/predictable writing (not so much the dialogue, or the changes from the comics as the plot contrivances) but it wasn't any worse than some of the writing I've seen in various comics, so definately not a deal breaker for me.

all in all it's not a masterpiece by any means, but i definately had fun, as did my wife, and our friends and that's all that really matters

* Disclaimer: I should confess that I am positively biased toward any movie with Hugh Jackman in it. :wub:

Even Van Helsing? I confess, I think I'm one of the 8 people who liked Van Helsing, are you one of the other 7?

'Scuse me while I wax geeky for a second here:

I just hated how this director decided to sledgehammer away at the viewer's emotions, rather than Bryan Singer's very surgical, scalple-like way. The movie just lacked the intelligence of its' predecessors, IMO. It just seemed like the director used this movie as an excuse to cram as many characters as he could into a feature-length film. Angel served NO purpose what-so-ever. Beast got buried by all the cameos. Rogue's role in this one was just craptasticly one-dimensional. It was sad to see Shadowcat and Colossus sidelined to supporting crapola like they were. And that prison truck scene just made me laugh. "Look! We've got this great cure weapon at our disposal, and a truck full of dangerous mutants! Should we use the cure on said dangerous mutants? Naaaahhhhh...." No Phoenix-effect. They really, REALLY dropped the ball with Phoenix. Again, I blame all the cameos and extraneous, useless characters.

And speaking of which: Killing off those that SHOULD have been major players in this story in favor of giving us Jamie Maddrox for 2 scenes (wooo! Multiple Man! Yeah...there's a classic mutant for ya... *rolleyes*) and Arclight and the rest of the "Morlocks". Just dumb. DumbdumbdumbdumbDUMB! Killing off Chuck? Scott? Here's a thought: Howzabout making them the effective, awesome characters they are in the comics? They are, after all, only the LEADERS OF THE FREAKIN' TEAM!!!!

And the whole "cure" angle just bothered the hell outta me. They took a lame story-arc from the book from the 80's and really amped it up. If they weere going to do that, they shoulda just went with the Sentinel story-line. Hell, I woulda prefered they just had the US Gov't INVENT Nimrod and the Sentinels so that there wouldn't be a need for any villans BUT Magneto and a few hangers on. Then maybe I would've gave a damn about any of 'em.

Don't get me wrong- there were some GREAT comic-book moments in there. The entire Danger-Room scene was fantastic. Both of the fast-ball specials The opening sequence with Chuck and Erik visiting young Jean was really good. And gave me alot of hope for the movie. Sadly, that momentum got lost for me when Phoenix killed Chuck.

I'm all about bending the rules of comic books in a movie. But this director just up and broke 'em willy-nilly with no purpose.

Ah well, the Ghost Rider trailer was pretty sweet.

And Wolvie never cries. Not ever.

(Also, I enjoyed VanHelsing as well. But I'm a sucker for Kate Beckinsale :poke: )

HEY! I liked Van Helsing.

Of course, there were only about 4 of us at the "I liked Van Helsing" convention.

Perhaps we can treat X3 like we did Highlander 2....perhaps they will make another sequal (and do it right) were no one died and none of the important people got the "cure" for mutation. Then we can sort of ignore this one.

I haven't seen X-3, yet, but owning as much X-Men as I do (including Rogue's first appearance as well as Gambit's and Cable's), I was disappointed in the first two movies and expect nothing less in the third. Going in with low expectations, I'm hoping to at least enjoy parts of it.

However, I liked Van Helsing as well.

I can't complain about the death of Cyclops. He is my next-to-least-favorite X-Man ever.

And no one ever stays dead in the comics, so I doubt they will stay dead in the movies of the comics. :rolleyes:

The group I went with all had a good time with the movie. I wasn't as good as the first two, but it was fun.