Pirate Theme Miniatures

gwangi32

Yesterday I saw the preview for the next Pirates of the Caribbean. Wow does that look cool. You could convert a bathallian/illithid using the scenes I saw as inspiration. It got me fired up to do some work in that theme over the summer. There is a subtheme going in Reaper that is more nautical and doesn't need much converting. I have:

the Pirates of the Dragon Spine Sea,

some of Razigs Crew,

the undersea familiars,

the were shark and

a couple swashbuckler types.

I can see from the greens that there is a second Pirates of the Dragonspine Sea set in the making and a mermaid.

That's what I know. What I am looking for is recommendations for a nautical/pirate theme. For both Warlord (houserules mercenary group) and RPG purposes. Name and number would be nice. Keep in mind I am asking for recommendations in terms of figures you like, not just the figure search results. I have some of the barbarian women and because they are in bikinis (chainmail but still more appropriate for swimming that battle) they will probably become crew.

Thanks for any ideas you're willing to share. Oh and does anyone know where in Adon the Dragonspine Sea is located?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I saw the preview for the next Pirates of the Caribbean. Wow does that look cool. You could convert a bathallian/illithid using the scenes I saw as inspiration. It got me fired up to do some work in that theme over the summer. There is a subtheme going in Reaper that is more nautical and doesn't need much converting. I have:

the Pirates of the Dragon Spine Sea,

some of Razigs Crew,

the undersea familiars,

the were shark and

a couple swashbuckler types.

I can see from the greens that there is a second Pirates of the Dragonspine Sea set in the making and a mermaid.

That's what I know. What I am looking for is recommendations for a nautical/pirate theme. For both Warlord (houserules mercenary group) and RPG purposes. Name and number would be nice. Keep in mind I am asking for recommendations in terms of figures you like, not just the figure search results. I have some of the barbarian women and because they are in bikinis (chainmail but still more appropriate for swimming that battle) they will probably become crew.

Thanks for any ideas you're willing to share. Oh and does anyone know where in Adon the Dragonspine Sea is located?

There's a pirate lady called Melisande, though I can't remember her name. There's also an earlier DHL called Eric that's a pirate, maybe in the 2200s?

In Dark Heaven Apocalypse the Sea of Stars borders on Taltos and the Dragon Spine Sea is west of that with the two seas seperated by the island of Arveni. All subject to change as they rework Adon for Warlord.

I use 2981 Lornia, 2956 Cyndria, 2859 Melisande, 2775 Edward, 2645 Maria Roseblade and 2144 Eric the Swift as part of my Pirate contingent.

I feel it is my duty as The Goddess to recommend Skralla the Black for your crew as well.

Yup I think I'll offer a berth on the Siren's Song to Skralla. I hope that the second set of Pirates of the Dragonspine Sea comes out soon as the elf, halfling and dwarf pirates look great (in the greens right now).

And thanks for the map of Adon Spike! I see that the Warlord Map matches the City States of Taltos region so I would be willing to bet the Geography won't change too much.

I have a few of the mentioned figures in fact today in the mail I got:

2645 Maria Roseblade (her story is in Casketworks 11)

2859 Melisande Wavecutter

2861 Abram Duskwalker

These folks will be crew and I am thinking of using the scary monkey familiar (from 2983) as the ship's mascot. I have Lornia, Cyndria, Edward but not Eric. I'll look for him.

Then I received these for adversaries:

2630 Frogmen

3030 Toadman.

There are a few water adventure creatures I do have the Tortoise Dragon, the Eldritch Demon and the ones I mentioned before. I feel like I am missing something obvious though.

Related to th' topic, I would be suggestin' that ye be makin' good use o this ( http://www.io.com/%7Esj/PirateTalk.html ) whilst ye be a-lookin' fer yer crew. If ye be speakin' it, they will come.

Avast there ye scallawag. A grand point ye b a makin'. Over the side with me lubber talk. (There is a pirate's alphabet along these lines in the Razig download in ReaperGames)

The mini I'm currently using for my RPG character, a pirate is 2956: Female Pirate Captain

(I also used 2859: Melisande Wavecutter, Female Pirate, and 2645: Maria Roseblade)

Out of those three ladies, Melisande (I've painted her twice) and the Pirate Captain are my favourites.

Maria was fun (I like the beer mug strapped to her belt), but she was my least favourite to paint.

I found these boys on the search, and I quite like them, and will likely be picking them up after I get the rest of my Razig crew:

2144: Eric Swiftblade (Swashbuckler)

2439: Urji, Arabian Pirate Lord

2508: Rudiger, Triumphant Pirate Lord

Arrr! (there needs to be a smiley with a pirate hat or a smiley with crossbones ...)

• Artists

I'd have to dig him out of a box to be sure, but I'm pretty sure my impression was that Rudiger is a bit smaller than the average DHL human. I think he's a cool figure, just mentioning in case that makes any difference to the project.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am looking at a couple unreleased miniatures, the Mermaid (due out in July) and Bagheera the Demon Ape. I saw Bagheera and thought of Robert E. Howard's "Queen of the Black Coast".

I'd need a Conan: http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/2600s/2616_G

then there is Belit: http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/2600s/2686_G or this one http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/2400s/2476_G

Then were hyenas: http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/2400s/2415_G

And the the biggie the prehuman intelligence lurking in the ruins: http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/album14/3088_G

I have most of these. I'm just waiting for Bagheera. This is a special case of pirate, but one of my favorite stories.

Not Reaper figs, but I saw 30 undead pirates for $40 from Old Glory Miniatures, and they are the closest thing to perfect for representing Pirates of the Carribean figures. I saw a friend painting them at my FLGS, and they look great! Now he just needs to build a ship!

Just search for ghostly pirates (pic is in color, and doesn't show all 30 figs unfortunately).

But their selection of pirates in general is quite impressive. There offer pirates in a tavern (gambling/drinking), captured pirates (including one in a cooking pot), female pirates, dead pirate bodies, etc.

Yes, Old Glory has some pirates, but the scale is smaller, and the ones I bought had some bad mold lines.

On the other hand, the were VERY cheap. Ral Partha made some pirates released in a blister pack that are worth looking at.

Yes, Old Glory has some pirates, but the scale is smaller, and the ones I bought had some bad mold lines.

On the other hand, the were VERY cheap. Ral Partha made some pirates released in a blister pack that are worth looking at.

Yes, OG does some good historical work, but they're True 25mm scale, rather than the Heroic 28mm that Reaper uses. You can order through The War Store.