Wood Bases, where to get

twjolson

I work at a wood shop, and one of the things we make is plaques, you know, like award plaques. And just the wood part looks like a killer base for mini's. Especially for the dragon sized, most we make are too large for one normal sized mini.

Anyways, we end up tossing into the grinder alot of perfectly good (from a mini painters point of view) plaques/bases. Others have minor defects, say a knot or chip in the wood. I would estimate that the majority of the ones we scrap would be usable to a mini painter.

What you could do, find out from a trophy shop where they get their supply from, or find a wood shop that makes plaques from the phone book, etc. Call them, ask if you can have, or at worst, buy at a reduced rate the rejects. They might go for it.

If anyone tries this, or has tried this, let's hear about it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get my wood bases from mostly Michaels, and sometimes JoAnn's or ACMoore if I happen to be at one. I've found some fairly unique shapes at both JoAnn's and ACMoore. For the most part I've never had to pay more than $0.50 to $2.99 for one. It fits into my budget nicely.

Twjolson: What you could benefit from doing is seeing if your place of work could earn cash selling the reject bases to those who wish to purchase them instead of turning them into hardwood mulch. They could even donate them to schools for use in the art classes and get a tax deduction for it. I see making the mulch as such as waste. At least by selling them or donating them they are coming out ahead, instead of taking a loss on the bases.

If the ones that they're chipping up are "done, but we found problem {X}", why not put them into a "discount" bin at the shop, on the company web store, or even on eBay?

Some of the knots and chips may be perfectly acceptable to people doing bas-relief or chip carving or to people doing wood burning, as well as scouting/4H groups, etc. (I suspect some enterprising souls would even incorporate knots into the design.)