How do I achieve saliva effects?

Rodnik

Saliva effects

I've seen this a dozen times....the Tyranid with strings of saliva going from tooth to tooth.

I've attempted this effect numerous times so far--and I can't seem to pull it off.

Does anyone have any insight as to the medium used and how it's done?

I've tried superglue, white glue, epoxy casting resin, epoxy glue, water effects, and some other stuff......

The closest I've hit has been with epoxy glue---but the challenge is that once I get the string from upper to lower, the epoxy gradually pulls the string apart during the drying process.

What I haven't tried is using a fishing line as an "armature", but as far as I could tell, this isn't done.

Anyone ever done this and pulled it off with a high quality result?

Kev

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my hot glue gun to make cobwebs for pieces of my terrain so I dont see why it wouldn't work for this. If you need to thicken up the strands, CA glue (the thin kind) doesnt destroy the strand, but will make it brittle and more likely to break.

I'd try something that's going to stay firm like plastic sprue, but I haven't really played with it and am worried about toxic fumes. I thought about the hot-glue as well, but wasn't sure it'd hold the paint as well as the sprue... Hrm.. scenic water effects of some sort, but a little bit thicker so it's less likely to "settle"? There's squadron putty as well, but I'd only try it as a last resort...

Keep us informed!!!

For me, running water, drool, etc... Golden Extra Heavy Body Gel (gloss).

Not much shrinkage, clear as glass when dry, color/opacity easily worked with other acrylics, readily available, easily workable, non-stenchy, water based, fairly small learning curve, quality product, etc...

Just my thought on it. ::):

actually ixminis's idea of plastic sprue is a good one to use. Just get some clear & then get a candle, hold the sprue over the flame & let it warm up & then PULL quickly with it to your desired length & let it sit.

If you want I can send yah some white sprue (lord knows I have tons of that, being a car modeller)

there no or very little fumes involved with the stuff. Modellers use it for wires & such (seen a WW2 biplane's wings were done up using that method, pretty amazing.

RM