newbie help?

unlord213

I'm getting back into painting minis, it's been a few years since i've done anything, and when i painted before, i used the paint straight out of the bottle, used GW paints, and used washing and drybrushing for shading effects. This time around, i thought i'd go for the painting looking a little better, so i bought the msp set of colors, got some w&n brushes, got retarder and flow aid, etc. I've read the article on thinning paints and am currently messing with that to try to get a good feel for it. I was wondering if anyone knew of any sites that were good for introductions to the other techniques used, ive seen mentions of layering and blending, so something along those lines i'd assume. i don't want anything contest quality, just kind of a newbie guide.

Also, one more quick question, i'm using the brush on primer because i tend to have bad luck with spray primers, i think because i live in a very muggy area and its real easy for the spray paint to bubble up, and i was wondering how think a layer i should go for. from what i understand about primer, all i want is a layer for the paint to stick to better than it would stick to the actual mini. After i finish with a couple coats of the brush on primer, the mini is greyish, where as when i sprayed the primer, they came out white (white primer :p), so i was just wondering if that would be good enough coverage, or if the mini should be much more whitish after priming.

ok, so i lied one more question heh, maybe two. how are the clear colors used, just in general, i don't remember ever working with anything like those before. and how are the lining colors different than, say, just brown?

thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists

One of my favourite sites when I was starting out were the many guides at http://www.ellsweb.com. Go to that site then hit the Guides section listed on the right. He covers tools, prep, all the main techniques, with clear language and photos. There's a chapter on painting in the Warlord rule book that's very good and has nice photos of paint consistency used in various techniques and other good pics.

I mostly brush prime, cause from the sound of your post I live down the street, weather wise, at least. ;-> I usually do two coats of slightly thinned MSP primer (like 4 drops MSP to 1 drop water, adding a little extra water as it evaporates). I wouldn't be surprised if just one coat would do it in terms of paint adhesion, but I find two improves surface smoothness.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/ has a pretty sweet tutorial on layering and such. I read it and tried it out on my latest mini's hair. Came out a lot better than what I used to do. ^_^

I'm not a traitor, I swear!!! :blink: I got some Vallejo paints from a friend, and I was checking out the site. *looks out for Anne* :unsure:

Though, I honestly like the RMS paints better.

I actually use a white wash as a primer. I read that it can be used in the first tutorial site I found. I have not have any problems with it. I am buying the brush-on primer on my next order, though.

Also, one more quick question, i'm using the brush on primer because i tend to have bad luck with spray primers, i think because i live in a very muggy area and its real easy for the spray paint to bubble up

The Houston area is pretty humid, and 50% humidity counts as being "low" humidity. Still, I mostly use a spray primer (and sealer) by being careful to only prime (or seal) when the humidity drops to the 65% or lower mark. The National Weather Service website will be able to tell you the current humidity reading.

I've found that Duplicolor spray primer does pretty well at 65% or lower humidity (haven't tried at anything higher) with no bubbles or other problems.

Still, I do keep some brush on primer to hit the spots where they spray missed.

Ron

• Reaper User

Usually I do two coats of MSP Brush-on primer if I'm using brush-on, thinned (as was stated already by someone else) about 3:1 or 4:1 with water. ::): These days, though, Flynn has gotten me into Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (white) and I gotta say, I have no complaints yet, it's very nice!! Even in humidity. ::): If you can find the stuff I recommend giving it a whirl. It's not cheap, but my little can seems to be lasting quite a long time; perhaps their nozzle/dispenser is more efficent or something.

I'm not a traitor, I swear!!! :blink: I got some Vallejo paints from a friend, and I was checking out the site. *looks out for Anne* :unsure:

Hey, if *you* want to handicap your painting by using Vallejo, who am I to complain?? :;)::lol:

--Anne ::):