Paint Tray

twjolson

I need something that I can paint on, that I am guaranteed not to get any paint on the table, no matter how bad the spill. I use to use a plastic shoe mat with a ridge around it. I however can not find anything remotely like that here, I've looked everywhere. Anyone know of anything else that will do the job?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I use the paint station that GW sells - it's about 24 inches across, and 15 1/2 inches deep. There's a beveled edge around the front that, I suppose, would catch a bad spill (I've never tested it and it's annoying to clean - full of metal bits, paperclips, paint crud.. ). It's made out of pressboard. I use it because I can put it away on top of a bookshelf to quickly make the table clean for gaming and other projects. :)

Picnic table cloth - the thick vinyl one with a feltish material on the bottom... or heck a shower liner.... or a canvas painters drop cloth (I'd expect that one to be the best for the long term... Washable...

Okee,

Drinks trays and serving trays in the homewares section. (If true to GW's usual form on this particular kind of thing, you can get an identical item at 50% price.) They come in a variety of sizes and shapes.

Amongst the trays in my disorganised space are a drinks tray with felt on top to cushion incomplete minis if they fall, and a little caddy thing with handle on it that are great for carting paints about and cost $2 at a bargain shop.

My advice is to familiarise yourself with the local cheapie-shops (and hardware) and browse through them often. They are great for getting utility items like this, as well as cheap woodglue and cheap superglue for terrain and flocking, at greatly reduced prices. I'm talking 1/4 of Official Miniatures Hobby pricing here.

I've got a drop cloth with plastic backing I got at Michael's years ago. Unless you make big spills (like half a coke bottle) it'll soak up just about anything you throw at it. It's also great because you can wick your excess paint off on it, dry your brush off on it, and generally protect the entire surface of your work area (this was a big consideration for me at the time of purchase as I was still painting at the dinner table).

pet store. They have little rubber mats with lips on them to set your litter box on so that kitty-kitty doesn't track sand all over the house. I have three cats, three boxes and three of said mats...never thought to use them on the painting station before. I must be getting old in my slow age.

Todd

The litter box mat idea should work quite well. I used to have one for one of my cats that had a considerable lip on it with a grate on top (to get the litter to drop into the mat). Here is a link to the mat that I had. The grate is removable, so you'll end up with just the mat underneath.

Ron

Am I the only person who has never spilled paint before?

Well, I've come close: I recently took some paint from Houston (sea level) to near Boulder in the belly of a plane. When I got to Boulder, I quickly discovered that I had to be very careful about opening the MSP bottles because of the difference in altitude (and probably the plane ride). For a couple of bottles, I got a bit of a mess (equal to 4-8 drops of paint) coming out in a hurry.

But, back home, I haven't actually spilled any paint, and I just use some newspaper on my desk as a pad.

Ron

Well, I've come close: I recently took some paint from Houston (sea level) to near Boulder in the belly of a plane. When I got to Boulder, I quickly discovered that I had to be very careful about opening the MSP bottles because of the difference in altitude (and probably the plane ride). For a couple of bottles, I got a bit of a mess (equal to 4-8 drops of paint) coming out in a hurry.

But, back home, I haven't actually spilled any paint, and I just use some newspaper on my desk as a pad.

Ron

It wasn't the plane ride...it was the difference in altitude. Houston is at sea level, and Boulder is at about 5400 feet.

I get the same problem when I come back from Denver, and that's only a difference of 1500 feet (I'm at about 6700).

I'm not advocating anything illegal mind you, but I've somehow ended up with a few of those cafeteria trays that are really quite nice as work surfaces.

Mine came from a Salad and Soup establishment :blush:

I'm sure a quick search for cafeteria / food prep accessories would generate something...where are you going for lunch today? ::D:

Thanks

A(so going to jail)Whang