Sign in to follow this  
wildbill

Freelance Armies

Don't you just love this game...

Yes, I do. But I don't particularly like the project development model that Reaper is using. I don't like having to constantly adapt to an ever-changing game dynamic. But playing freelance does mitigate that considerably, because adaptability is the primary advantage of freelancers.

And, of course, Reaper is doing better with the incremental expansion model than another game company that I know of.

-St.V.

The Nefsokar Desert Wind list is going to be the bane of elven archer lists and most other heavy shooter lists.

Which won't amount to much if it is crap against everything else, at least not in a tourney format where they need to be prepared to face all comers.

I don't think that will be the case. The Desert Wind list looks very well-rounded. Whether or not it's well play-balanced I'm not yet ready to say, but it's definitely not a one-trick pony.

-St.V.

Yes, I do. But I don't particularly like the project development model that Reaper is using. I don't like having to constantly adapt to an ever-changing game dynamic. But playing freelance does mitigate that considerably, because adaptability is the primary advantage of freelancers.

-St.V.

Could you expand on this "ever-changing game dynamic"? I'm not quite sure what you mean and I want to have a good grasp on what you are referring to here before I comment on it.

That would be difficult to pull off, given that a Flyer on the ground only has a base movement of three.

Zoinks.... Guess I missed that!

-St.V.

Could you expand on this "ever-changing game dynamic"? I'm not quite sure what you mean and I want to have a good grasp on what you are referring to here before I comment on it.

I agree, could you explain a little better... cause my first reaction is, that is exactly what this game is all about - always changing, evolving, being dynamic. That is what makes it fun, not a cookie cutter, and gives obsessively over analytical people like myself joy with all the possible options that I have to choose from.

I had been tempted on trying to make my own version of the all shooty Freelance army. Except I would go evil-neutral instead of good-neutral like Gus did. I like Overlord crossbowmen and Bone Marines too much. :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

On the topic of "no freelance"; in a game without a robust troop-builder (all "homebrew" troopers are unofficial) having a freelance option is a saving grace for those of us who like customising or building units and armies out of OOP, weird or unusual miniatures or army concepts. As it stands the Freelance option is still only a substitute for true customisation. Losing it would put me off the game rather sharply.

On the subject of "it might be broken but most people won't do it", well, I see nothing wrong with playing to win in a tournament or even in a competitive group. If the rules can be badly abused it is because they require more refinement (or in extreme cases, are rubbish). What I'm hearing here though is that the all-ranged Freelance army doesn't net that big an advantage. It can be done, it can win, it isn't invincible. However, if it is too potent, why not just restrict Freelance in the way most other armies are restricted?

Could you expand on this "ever-changing game dynamic"?

I could. But when I look over at your signature block, I see you self-described as "Godlike", and there's a nifty little picture of a halo. My concept of the dynamic really only applies to how I build and play my army, which really isn't all that significant. If your concept of the dynamic has farther reaching consequences than that, then you should be the one doing the explaining. And if it doesn't, then there's not much point in exchanging arguments over something so theoretical.

What effects do you think the new Merc book will have on the game?

-St.V.

A thought on terrain: put roads on every table. Doubling movement across the board takes a lot of the appeal out of shooty armies.

I'll also be tweaking my tournaments so that losers get first choice of tables.

PS

I'll also be tweaking my tournaments so that losers get first choice of tables.

PS

That means I'll never get to choose what table I want :devil: . Except in Round 1 when it's random ::D: .

All kidding aside, I agree it should be done this way. And, to clarify, it should be whomever has the least amount of points at the table gets to choose.

Okay, I just have to pipe in here on the broken-ness of the all shooter army since, I actually had a chance to face it this weekend at Origins. Vince was playing it instead of Gus.

It's hardly broken. It's VERY beatable. I lost because of the Melee models in the army. The Archers did very little, and honestly, did more damage in b2b contact than shooting me.

Piercers: Broken. Broken. Broken. :lol: Gen Conners, think of Ymrilix and the ICA's. Not as impressive since it didn't involve Mercy, but just as painful to watch happen.

I had 4 Bull Orc Archers, 2 Skeeters, Lunk w/ spells, Ogg and 3 Beastriders as part of my build capable of taking on all his archers. I lost, but it had absolutely nothing to do with all his Archers, and I was kicking his butt six ways to Sunday for a very good portion of the game. To the point where we were laughing at the notion of this army being so horribly broken. Then my Bull Orc Zerkers and Hunters crashed into his Shieldmaidens, and they killed every one of my damned models, and I didn't make a single Hit or Defensive Strike. <_< That left his Melee troops to chase down my remaining forces and tear them up, because my remaining Lesser Orcs and Archers found DV 11+Deflect with Shieldmaidens and Tomb Guards, and a DV 14 Uru a little tough to chew on.

It's a brilliant build. But it is hardly unbeatable. And my army was not even designed to fight his army.

Play it a few times, then maybe gripe about it.

I did, I lost, and I still find it so far from broken I find it laughable to think otherwise.

I did, I lost, and I still find it so far from broken I find it laughable to think otherwise.

So, are you telling us to play it a few times before we judge it while you're judging it after only playing it once?

Could you expand on this "ever-changing game dynamic"?

I could. But when I look over at your signature block, I see you self-described as "Godlike", and there's a nifty little picture of a halo. My concept of the dynamic really only applies to how I build and play my army, which really isn't all that significant. If your concept of the dynamic has farther reaching consequences than that, then you should be the one doing the explaining. And if it doesn't, then there's not much point in exchanging arguments over something so theoretical.

What effects do you think the new Merc book will have on the game?

-St.V.

Well to be quite honest, godlike is simply the default title for having way to much time to post. If you were to actually look at my posts most of them are not in the warlord section, but in the painting section. I am geniunely interested in hearing what you have to say. That phrase may mean something different to you than it does to me. If you would prefer to PM me, that's fine too.

So, are you telling us to play it a few times before we judge it while you're judging it after only playing it once?

LOL, you would fit in well playing with my brother & I. ^_^

I think what Qwyk meant was "don't judge it as unbeatable until you've played against it a few times". Since he only needed to play against it once to find it non-unbeatable, he could judge it qwyker. :B):

I don't think that will be the case. The Desert Wind list looks very well-rounded. Whether or not it's well play-balanced I'm not yet ready to say, but it's definitely not a one-trick pony.

-St.V.

I dd not see how it is well rounded? It looks weak to me in the infantry department. None of their infantry has a DV>9, the DV 9 are 32 points while the others have an 8 DV and their archers bite. Perhaps I'm missing something besides their awesome, outnumbered Cav? I cannot at this time ever see myself playing Desert wind in tournament... and Nefsokar is my primary faction.

PS Right now I do not think Freelance are broken.

I could. But when I look over at your signature block, I see you self-described as "Godlike", and there's a nifty little picture of a halo.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to ask kit to change that little thingy. Now that I've wasted 1000 posts worth of time, me and my ring need to be truly unique. ::D:

As for ranged armies, they aint nothin but lunch to these lizards. (Ok I lied, I have a distinct fear of archers, but maybe I'll get lucky).