Sign in to follow this  
mousekiller

Dwarf Mammoth

Well, I saw this thing at Old Glory miniatures and just had to have it. This one will probably take me forever to finish, but I could not resist it. Anyway, here are all the pieces, I will post again after I glue and pin this beast together.

post-2668-1151544088_thumb.jpg

I just want to say "Damn you." Because now I want one.

That looks awesome and I'm looking forward to watching the painting process :)

Heather

Redhand: Thanks, this project will take forever.

Ardice: That is exactly how I felt when I saw this thing. The only downfall was it put me out $90.00. I wish Reaper would make something like this, and maybe a few other large monsters.

Dewen: Well, only one day for the majority of the assembly. Wasn't too hard, a few extra pins for stability.

I decided to stop at this point to go back in and shave him up a little and add some green stuff. What I already don't like is under the mammoth where you can't really see, the manufactures didn't bother to sculpt anything. I might even go in there with some green stuff. Will update again soon.

post-2668-1151633861.jpg

The only downfall was it put me out $90.00.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I always wanted a suitable Mammoth to use as a Chaos War Mammoth for WF campaign play, but the LotR one is too small and the Forge World one is over 300 bucks! Hats off to you for such a good find.

-NTM

I didn't even think to hit the link where I found this bad boy. Anyway, here it is.

Old Glory

Tentacle: I have always felt the same about the Forge World Mammoth. Outrageously expensive and, from what I understand, hard to put together. This one measures 9" from toe to tusk and 9" from back to tusk. The Dwarfs are exactly like GW ones.

Here we go. Finished gluing him together, and also added some green stuff to some straps, his belly, and a bit to his tusks. I will still have to go back in and clean it up a bit, but the next post should show him primed and ready to paint. I also have to start work on the base.

post-2668-1151814776.jpg

Ok, I am having issues. I have him primed white, and washed in black. Then I started painting some of the armour, and that is where I am unsure. Should I stick with the shiny plate type look with silver, or just go all copper/bronze? Part of the problem is that the trim around the plates is irregular, some of them completely go around and some are chipped off because the mammoth is made out of resin. What about trimming all of that trim off and just leaving the plates? Any advice would be helpful...

post-2668-1152239299_thumb.jpg

I'm probably not much help, but my first reaction when I saw those plates was "WOW, I llike that silver", so I would say to keep it as is.

How are you planning on painting up the dwarven riders? Are you wanting the mammoth to match them?

How detailed are you planning on taking it? Are you planning on highlighting and shading the armor plates? What color are you planning on for the cloth below the plates?

As for the trim, it would not be uncommon for armor on such a massive beast to have some nicks and dings so having a few armor plate trimmings to be off or broken would fit right in. I would definitely leave it, both cause of the amount of work that it would take, as well as, that is part of what makes this massive thing look so cool.

only change I might suggest. its not really clear in the pictures, but looks like the trunk has some armor plating on it, but the overall head of the beast does not.

Since I know you are fairly handy with thgreenstuff, I might go and make an armor plate or two for its head near the ears. Again, only based on what I can make out in the pictures. It might not be necessary if I am seeing the pictures wrongly.

Stub: The dwarfs will be painted very similar to the mammoth, armour will be silver trimmed in bronze/gold. I would like to highlight the armour plates,and I think that will probably take a really keen eye and a lot of help from the folks here to get it just right. I was thinking red for the under cloth, but if anyone has a better suggestion I am glad to hear it.

You are spot on with the head. I will try to come up with some plates in the meantime, and before I mount them permanently I will put them on for review... Also, I was thinking maybe some shields around the tower...

Thanks Stub.

Mooseyjoe: Thanks.

I like it!!!!

love the work so far on it, that'll be one hell of model when your all done with it.

Love the FW one, just not most of the chaos stuff. Would love to have the LOTR one but for the price & it's not as big as I would like it.

Would love to see Reaper put one out in their prehistoric box line (ie the dinos line)..........hint hint hint.

great work, can't wait to see more progress on it.

RM

Ok, so I figured out why I didn't like the armour as it was, and it was because my silvers seemed really blotchy (paint too thick). So, I went back and redid it with a wash method, starting with the lightest color first.

1. Base - white

2. Citadel Mithril Silver wash

3. Citadel Chainmail Wash

4. Citadel Boltgun Metal Wash

5. 3/4 Boltgun Metal, 1/4 RMS Adamantium Black

6. 1/2 Boltgun Metal, 1/2 RMS Adamantium Black

The fur/straps:

1. Base- Reaper Pro Paint Walnut Brown

The other straps:

1. Base- Reaper Pro Paint Blood Red

So, I think another wash of black on the armour, but probably after I add the bronze trim...

Also, added a pic of the riders all primed and ready to paint.

post-2668-1152473865.jpg

post-2668-1152473902_thumb.jpg

Haldir: The FW one is awesome, but way too expensive... And yes, Reaper, are you listening?

So, I think another wash of black on the armour, but probably after I add the bronze trim...

post-2668-1152473865.jpg

Wow. That is looking outstanding! I agree with your call for another black wash, but I'd keep it to the edges of the individual plates. That will help make the plate's raised edges pop. Later, you can do some light highlight edging with brighter silvers along the top to make the edges read even stronger.

This is going to be one impressive piece when finished!

I'd also start looking into some cool Dwarf-y designs or celtic knotwork as designs on the Howdah.

Can't wait to see your next installment!

Thanks

AWhang