Sign in to follow this  
mmmgreenstuff

Tree question

I had this crazy idea on making easy textured trees. Please tell me if this sounds stupid. ::D:

I thought of taking a twisted-wire tree, with all the limbs straight up but separated, and dipping it several times (successively deeper & base first) into a rubber dip. This dip is normally used to add a rubber grip to hand tools such as screwdrivers and wrenches. There is a textured black dip, and I thought it might make an easy tree bark texture. At that scale it looks like oak bark or something.

After the rubber coating has dried the branches could be bent to whatever position looks tree-like.

Anyone have such a tool dip and the willingness to try my crazy idea?

(...trying to find a link to the product I'm talking about...)

never seent the textured dip, but wire trees don't need much more than a layer of paint to look pretty good. I use Cat 5 computer cable (have boxes of the stuff) and add one additional pair. Spray with brown krylon, dip in glue, dip in flock.

I did a wire tree on my entry into the Reapercon Painting contest this year. After creating the tree I mixed walnut propaint with liquitex gloss acrylic varnish (the stuff that dries flexible) and I applied that to the wire. It took bending without the paint coming off. Once it was dry I drybrushed in other shades of brown for a more realistic bark look.