Sign in to follow this  
werebob

First game last nights - have some basic questions

Played my first warlord game last night against another inexperienced player.

We had a ton of questions but I'll just list the simple ones :)

1) Can you give a figure a move action and then give it another move action if it doesn't attack (double it's movement)

2) I have 3 figures in a troop - 2 are in poisition to shoot at the beginning of the turn and the 3rd uses a move action to get into postion to shoot. After they all finish their ranged combat actions are the 2 units that didn't move this turn allowed to take move actions?

3) A figure with 2 attacks hits a figure with toughness on it's first attack. Is the figure that's knocked down still in base contact (can I use my second attack to finish off the knocked down toughness figure)

Welcome to the game!

1) Can you give a figure a move action and then give it another move action if it doesn't attack (double it's movement)

Yes. You can always trade your Combat Action for any Non-combat Action.

2) I have 3 figures in a troop - 2 are in poisition to shoot at the beginning of the turn and the 3rd uses a move action to get into postion to shoot. After they all finish their ranged combat actions are the 2 units that didn't move this turn allowed to take move actions?

Yes.

3) A figure with 2 attacks hits a figure with toughness on it's first attack. Is the figure that's knocked down still in base contact (can I use my second attack to finish off the knocked down toughness figure)

The figure that is knocked down is still in base contact. But hitting him again doesn't overcome his Toughness. For that you need a Loot Action (which is a non-combat action).

PS

first off, welcome to the game. Hope you enjoyed your first experience.

Next I have to pre-say please forgive me for this is might sound like its coming off the wrong way, but am truly not trying to....

The answers to al three of these questions are in the core rulebook. I dont have my book in front of me to give you page numbers. But, since this was your only post, I have no way of knowing... do you have a rule book and have you read it?

Even though we have discussed and argued many rules here in these forums, and have gotten several errata rulings to happen, if you do not have the rulebook, I would highly suggest you pick it up and start there as it does give all the "core" rules to get you going.

Again, trying to be helpful, not condecending, hopefully you read this response that way.

Welcome! Ask away. Some of the answers may be in the rule book, but they can be hard to find sometimes, and clarifications can be very helpful.

No. Any "extra" attacks which hit are wasted. That's part of the strategy: how many attacks do you allocate to a specific model (vs. his neighbor) to make sure that he goes down, but so that you don't waste extra attacks.

To coup de gras someone, you need to specifically do a "Loot" non combat action. However, if you start off in base to base contact and attack first, you can then do that "Loot" non combat action to finish off the stunned model (which has toughness). If you moved into base to base contact, you'll have to wait until the next turn (and your activation) and hope that the opposing troop doesn't get activated first.

Ron

Thanks for the information. We actually got the rulings correct (eventually)

We do have the core rulebook / army books but it gets confusing when you come from other games and there's no one around to explain things. Even after I read through the rules 3x, the rules from previous games still stick in the head.

We both have played MK and MK dungeons for the last 5 years so that system is forever on the brain. We're constantly referring to how many 'clicks' of damage a figure has and had to reread toughness a couple times to see why it doesn't reduce damage by one. To make matters worse I'm learning Mordhiem / Warhammer skirmish at the same time so I'm trying to roll a rout test when the army sizes get to 50% and keep wanting to roll an armor save for some reason. :)

Warlord seems like a fun game - I think I'll stick with.

We both have played MK

I understand where you're comming from. I've played MK and MW:DA and have also found that some of the wordings are similar enough that you get caught thinking like the other games. Fear not, that wore off for me after several games. There's hope :lol:

I think you'll find Warlord to be a good upgrade from MK. They're both reasonably simple to learn, however Warlord's version of simplicity leaves you with many options that quite frankly MK simply didn't have. Another fantastic bonus is that you know what you're buying - no more of that random booster nonsense. Additionally your models won't become invalid for tournament play when a new set comes out! You lose steamtech which imo isn't a good thing, but given the way the two games in question works, steamtech was an aesthetic thing anyways.

One more thing I'll add: In MK charge combined movement and combat. In Warlord charge is in no way a combat action! Charge is a movement action only. So you could use your movement action to charge into an enemy model, and then use your combat action to swing your axe. Combat does not automatically happen from a charge. I suppose you could also make a combat action, kill the model you're in contact with, and then charge another model. In that case you can't swing your axe at the second model. I only belabor that point because charge was one of the rules that gave me headaches comming from a Wizkids Games mindset and going into a R.A.G.E. mindset.

Another fantastic bonus is that you know what you're buying - no more of that random booster nonsense.

In MK I was a multiple case buyer so the random part didn't really bother me. I got way too much of everything. :)

Started warlord the same way but quickly realised that you don't have to 'buy em all' - I'm still painting the figures I bought a month ago. My wife sure likes that Warlord isn't a never ending money pit.

One more thing I'll add: In MK charge combined movement and combat. In Warlord charge is in no way a combat action! Charge is a movement action only. So you could use your movement action to charge into an enemy model, and then use your combat action to swing your axe. Combat does not automatically happen from a charge. I suppose you could also make a combat action, kill the model you're in contact with, and then charge another model. In that case you can't swing your axe at the second model. I only belabor that point because charge was one of the rules that gave me headaches comming from a Wizkids Games mindset and going into a R.A.G.E. mindset.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I would never have realised that I could charge AFTER I killed an opposing figures.

Along the same lines we screwed up by not allowing figures that were hit by an attacker to take a defensive strike. Amazing how the rules start to make more sense once you've played a game.

Quick Questions:

1) Are you allowed to pre-measure movement and range values or do you have to declare the action and then measure?

2) Charge says I can't change facing and the movement bonus says it gains straight line movement. Does a charge have to be in a straight line?

3) For regular movement I'm assuming I can lay a flexible ruler down bend it around obsticles (provided my base will fix through any tight spots) and place the figure on the ruler anywhere up to it movement value.

(I'm sure these are in the rule book somewhere but at only 1 game played and 5x rules reading I still have other game systems floating around in my head)

1. no premeasuring, declare first.

2. The charge part does. The regular movement can be regular.

3. I'd allow that, rule book doesn't tell you how to measure, that is a game play style type thing.

Started warlord the same way but quickly realised that you don't have to 'buy em all' - I'm still painting the figures I bought a month ago. My wife sure likes that Warlord isn't a never ending money pit.

Well, I wouldn't quite go that far... Depends on how much you can control the urge to get another set of minis for your favorite faction or a whole slew of minis for the nth faction that you want to try. ::D:

Along the same lines we screwed up by not allowing figures that were hit by an attacker to take a defensive strike. Amazing how the rules start to make more sense once you've played a game.

Another wrinkle that newbies forget is that the defensive strike can go against whoever attacked the mini *or* supported an attack against you (assuming that they aren't on the mini's back side.

3) For regular movement I'm assuming I can lay a flexible ruler down bend it around obsticles (provided my base will fix through any tight spots) and place the figure on the ruler anywhere up to it movement value.

That's how we've been doing it, though remember that if slipping by enemy minis, there has to be some buffer space (can't go into base to base contact) between the moving mini and the enemy minis.

Ron

That's how we've been doing it, though remember that if slipping by enemy minis, there has to be some buffer space (can't go into base to base contact) between the moving mini and the enemy minis.

Ron

I've been thinking about this, and I'm going to start using Stunts. The Tightrope Stunt allows a model to move thru a space smaller than its base.

PS

Thanks for the info guys.

Well, I wouldn't quite go that far... Depends on how much you can control the urge to get another set of minis for your favorite faction or a whole slew of minis for the nth faction that you want to try.

Very true, I've been eyeing the cursaders now that I have most of my Reven finished.

Fortunately my lack of painting time stops me from going on crazy spending spree. Old married man with kids = 20 painted figures per month max and I just can't bring myself to play unpainted figures. ::D:

Fortunately my lack of painting time stops me from going on crazy spending spree. Old married man with kids = 20 painted figures per month max and I just can't bring myself to play unpainted figures. ::D:

20?!? minis!!! per? month!!!!?!?!?!?

I'm reaching thru the internet and poking you in the eye with a fork. :grr:

I'm lucky if I finish 5.

PS

20?!? minis!!! per? month!!!!?!?!?!?

I'm reaching thru the internet and poking you in the eye with a fork. :grr:

I'm lucky if I finish 5.

PS

Don't do that literally -- I spent a good chunk of Sunday removing ball point ink off my laptop's screen because my son wanted to draw on the pretty picture of himself.

I'm with you Storminator - 5 a month is pretty good progress, unless they're skelletons.

Then you guys would hate me, I usually get anywhere from 1 to 3 done a day.

Welcome to the game. Where are you gaming, you may be nearby a board regular who could help out.

Sure would be nice to have someone local who knew what they were doing.

I'm in Ottawa Canada - if anyone is in this area it sure would be great to meet them.

BTW 20 is the maximum I could do do per month.

Here's my # figures painted versus wife's happiness chart. ::D:

# figures painted, Wife's Happiness

0, Content

1-5, Slight Grumbling

6-10, Open Hostility

11-15, Silent Treatment

16-20, Sleeping on the sofa

21+, Pointless - I'd lose 50% of figures in the divorce settlement.