Painting the invisible bits

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also gotta relize the depth of the viewer as well, since most won't be at eyeball to nose length viewing & such.

if it looks good for afar I really wouldn't worry about it.

epsically on somethng like that, unless say the spur strap was actually seen like the legs/feet were out more off that horse body, then by all means try & do it.

RM

Ok, my question is what do you do when you paint the bottom of tunics or other clothes? It doesn't have any detail, it's just a big old flat surface. I usually paint it the mid-color through, but that doesn't look right and it bugs the heck out of me.

Same with painting the inside of a mouth. You have the teeth, ok, yellow will do. YOu have the tongue, red, but then you an unrealistic back, it's too close to the teeth to be real, it's just that the sculptor didn't want to make a whole mouth cavity. I usually paint it black, but again, it doesn't look right at all.

If you want to be really OCD on the bottom of a robe or something, paint the edge a dark shade of the main color, and paint the inside black...

Really though, solid black is fine. Or a dark shade of whatever you're painting it (I'm currently painting mostly in black, so I have it easy!)

For mouths, I usually do a darker shade for whatever I painted the tongue since it's the same color, just darker because of shadows. I rarely use a bright red for tongues.

For undereneath tunics, I treat directly beneath just like the darkest recesses of shadow and lighten back out to the edge of the robe/tunic/etc. I don't do nearly the degree of highlighting, since it's often tough to get a brush angle, but just the impression of darkness to lighter is sufficient.

• Reaper User

Insides of mouths and bottoms of cloaks/clothes and such: Brown Liner.

I'll support the gaming vs. display argument, because it's about intent. If I'm gaming I'm not concentrating on making sure all my paint is perfect unless it's an important model that I really like, because the intent is to get colors on it and get it out on the table. If it's for display then the intent is to display my paint-work, so I'll paint everything, even if it's later covered when pieces are attached...just in case. ::):

--Anne

I'm anal enough that I want some sort of coverage of every part of the mini. Whether it's as detailed as the highly visible bits is another story.

BTW, best term ever for that part of the mini "facing" the base (i.e. underneath robes, etc.)? Coined by my younger brother (not a painter):

"The Underdark" ::D:

>>>

If it's a gaming piece I don't bother with things like that, if it's for display I will.

>>>

Hmmm, very interesting... your form of the illnes is triggered by situational cues...

My gaming pieces get abused by at least one of my children whenever they're pulled out for a game, so I paint them expecting to have to be fixed later.