Sign in to follow this  
Ravenwolf

Army Builder

I've been using Army Builder for years now to make my job of army design easier for miniatures games I've played in the past. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, you can go here and discover for yourself. In my opinion, it is a very helpful piece of software, but it requires a third party to create a database for each game system. In the past someone has been kind enough to create a Warlord database and update it occasionally. This no longer seems to be the case.

Recently, I've dabbled in modifying the data files for my favorite miniatures game. You guessed it, Warlord. I've become proficient, but no where near a master at this; however, I would like to post updated Warlord files so other AB users can share in my efforts and enjoy using the software once again.

I do not work for Lone Wolf nor am I paid by them to advertise. I am merely passing on to you information about a product I find useful.

With the coming of the 1.2 Datacard updates, there needs to be more work done to update all the faction rosters. I plan to get to this over the next couple of weeks, but I cannot promise you anything. I also plan on buying the all the faction books so I have access to all the new Spells, Abilities, Datacards, etc. as they come out.

Let me know if you use AB and what you think. If you have any suggestions, I'm open to them, but bear in mind some things are beyond my skill to add or modify.

As I've said, I'd like to post AB file updates. Can a Reaper peep tell me where is best to do this? Can I upload files to my posts? I do not have a website or hosting capabilities. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Show me how to work everything and what I need to do and I'll try and get some stuff done on the weekend if you'd like.

I wish it were that easy. Your best bet is to hack at it. That's what I did. It would take longer to explain everything. I can try answer any questions as they come up. No sweat, the "project" is underway.

BTW thanks.

I've been keeping up on the changes. However, I don't use AB 3.x. I'm still using the 2.x. If there is a way to change the format I'd be happy to share.

There are some things I couldn't figure out how to do, however:

Cavalry models only count as one (so you'd have to keep track yourself)

Some Army Special Abilities couldn't be represented

No Razig

You have to have the Faction Book/Rule Book to know all of the appropriate restrictions on items/spells/etc.

I know there are some other things, but I can't think of them.

I contacted the author of the current AB3.x files some weeks ago as to if he was going to update the file, he said he was as soon as he got the faction book. Now if he will or not that is another question.

I haven't played around with the current version of the 3.x data file recently, but it never struck me as having any issues/difficulties with it. What sort of changes/modifications have you made?

With the release of the 1.2 stats, making the changes to the data file should not be too difficult simply using the editor that comes with Army Builder. As well, adding additional abilities/equipment/etc. shouldn't be too difficult either, as long as the file was set up to handle it.

I've haven't played around with with data files since 1.x; I did a lot of work on the Chronopia file. That being said, I'd have no problems playing helping out with the current files. If you want to drop me a PM Id be interested in getting a copy of what you've got.

I've been keeping up on the changes. However, I don't use AB 3.x. I'm still using the 2.x. If there is a way to change the format I'd be happy to share.

There are some things I couldn't figure out how to do, however:

Cavalry models only count as one (so you'd have to keep track yourself)

Some Army Special Abilities couldn't be represented

No Razig

You have to have the Faction Book/Rule Book to know all of the appropriate restrictions on items/spells/etc.

I know there are some other things, but I can't think of them.

I'm using AB 3.1c which I believe is the latest. It's not backward compatible to my knowledge. The Cavalry concern has been addressed already and Razig and other Faction specific stuff are part of this current push.

I haven't played around with the current version of the 3.x data file recently, but it never struck me as having any issues/difficulties with it. What sort of changes/modifications have you made?

I've haven't played around with with data files since 1.x; I did a lot of work on the Chronopia file. That being said, I'd have no problems playing helping out with the current files. If you want to drop me a PM Id be interested in getting a copy of what you've got.

Most of the changes have been updating datacard stats and adding new Spells and Equipment from the faction books. Like you said, fairly simple stuff. Things right now that perplex me are Bindsouls and getting Striking Spear of Aurellius to work for Lord Ironraven and Large base Models and not for every other Leader.

I should have something to post relatively soon.

Okay, so you're saying that you're going to post the updated builder file with all the fixes? I'm a bit confused now...

What I'm saying is that I will post the updated data files, with all the updated information I can, including the 1.2 Datacard info. This will happen by the weekend if all goes well.

I'm looking forward to it. I modified the data files for my faction (Necropolis) (not 1.2 though) but I would like to have an updated file for all the factions, particularly now that the 1.2 cards are changing things.

Oh! And here I was thinking that we'd work together as a team. Glory boy. :P

I don't think you realize how complex those files are. It isn't something you can just teach someone how to do. It's something you just have to sit down and figure out over the course of many, many hours.

Updating point costs and stat changes is easy. Making certain equipment only available to certain models and such is very difficult.

After using Army Builder for Warlord a couple weeks, I've noticed a few problems.

First, if you could figure out how to get the special abilities (eg. Tough/1, Undead, etc) of a model to show up in the preview window (top right window) BEFORE you add it to your army list (when you click on it in the top list rather than the bottom list), I would really appreciate it. When you click on a model in the bottom list, it shows those abilities in the preview window, so it should be possible to do it for the top list too. Without this preview, I do too much cross-checking for abilities when making a quick army.

Second, when you add a troop musician it doesn't recalculate the movement of the troop's models (unlike personal equipment.)

Third, something I fixed for myself is the ability to give Divine Favor to Elites rather than just Leaders. I didn't see any errata saying it was just Leaders, and the book clearly states Leaders and Elites. The fix is just a small change to the divine favor entry, but I don't have the program with me right now for the specifics.

That's all for now, and I'll extend the same offer that others have made, if you need help getting some of the changes, I can help. I have only the Necropolis book, though.

And just because you are updating all the files, I'll chime in for a second. . . . ::D:

Fix Danithal's Mage listing. In AB it is listed as Mage 1/4 and it should be 2/4. He likes to use fireballs too :devil: !

Other things I've noticed, Divine Favor is not available to Hero/Elite Models.