kellinator

Ceynuundra Aelvari - Elven High Command (1.2)

Back on topic, Underling suggested that 750 point beginner forces be created for the benefit for those just beginning the game. I found that the list hasn't changed much from the 1.1 edition of the rules. What do people think?

Elves (748 Points) - General archer focused army:

Selwyn - Divine Favor

4 Archers

2 Longthorns

1 Warrior - Musician

Merdth

5 Warriors

Breaker

Merdth

5 Warriors

Breaker

Longthorn

Centaur

I think that if lists are made specifically for beginners getting into the game, then you should use a lot more multiples of 3, since that is what they would be buying. For example, in your list above, you use 2 breakers, 4 archers, and 11 warriors. That would leave the new player with 4 unused models if they bought 3 packs of those models. I would try to build the list with like 6 archers and 9 warriors, so they have less packs to buy. Also, I would try to only use multiples of a sergeant if there are multiple sculpts.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. ^_^

I agree the basic 750 pt list is still going to be pretty much the same for the elves, with 4 to 5 troops depending on the number of centaurs you want to bring and the archer/warrior ratio.

My thoughts are to give the centaur at least a LMA upgrade. this means that enemy archers are going to need a 10 to hit him (+2dv cav +1 LMA for a 13 dv). sure there is the chance that enough shots will always take him down, but i was thinking of adding niriodel to the mix. yes, he eats a lot of points but with a bandage or two the centaur will be able to snipe at the flanks a little longer. i haven't worked out the build yet . . . .

now onto more sleep deprived ravings. ::D:

new SA: Stealthy. . .the name might need some work but you give it to a new unit of archers. it allows them to move both before and after they shoot as long as they don't exceed their mov value.

hide them 3" deep in woods, move to the edge, fire and fall back :devil:

points on these guys will be comparable to vale archers if not higher.

I'm thinking . . .

Vale Snipers :ph34r:

Affiliation Model Troop Base Pts

Elves/Good Adept Standard ?

#MA #RA Dmg Mov Dis MAV RAV Rng DV CP MD

1 1 0 7 5 0 2 30 7 10

Special Abilities: Ranger, Stealthy

I think that if lists are made specifically for beginners getting into the game, then you should use a lot more multiples of 3, since that is what they would be buying. For example, in your list above, you use 2 breakers, 4 archers, and 11 warriors. That would leave the new player with 4 unused models if they bought 3 packs of those models. I would try to build the list with like 6 archers and 9 warriors, so they have less packs to buy. Also, I would try to only use multiples of a sergeant if there are multiple sculpts.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. ^_^

749 pts.

Troop 1 (403)

Selwyn 99

Vale Archers x6 264

Long Thorn x2 40

Troop 2 (173)

Meridh 36

Warriors x6 114

Breaker 23

Troop 3 (173)

Meridh 36

Warriors x6 114

Breaker 23

I usually like 4 troops but, with going with Gus' idea of trying to build close to the blisters this is what you come up with. Your newbie will have an extra breaker hanging around but there really is nothing you can do about that.

Personally, I wouild drop bother breakers (46 pts) and two archers (88 pts). Now I have 134 pts to buy 2 centaurs (122 pts) and DF for Selwyn (10 pts) making it a 748 build. With 5 activation cards i can camp the centaurs on the flanks (hopefully in woods) and let the two melee troops deal with anyone coming up the middle after the archers.

I will also go with the, it's a lot faster than your average foot solider and harder to hit option.

Ok, it's late, i've been up since 5am the 20th and now its 1230am on the 21. Work, if i didnt need it to buy Reaper figs. i'd become a sloth.

Anyway, while i work i have time to think about the elven army and my wish list of things that i would like to see in the faction book. so in no particular order and a nod to the gods. . .

Warlord(s): i know i have said that we, elves, don't need cavalry (and i still believe this), but if they are going to give us some then how about.

Princess Nienna Unicorn Rider (on Unicorn)

and

Princess Nienna (on foot)

having a single warlord with the option of fielding the miniature mounted or unmounted would be interesting. when someone asks if you brought your warlord you can say yes, princess nienna and they won't know which version you are bringing. the problem i see with this would be the vast difference in points with the addition of sa's due to being on the unicorn.

if you are going with the cavalry what would troops, heros, etc be. . .

mages: a pixie or fairy (fly would let them keep up with the cavalry) or a satyr.

melee cavalry troops: elves mounted on either light warhorses, unicorns, or deer. i would lean towards the horses or unicorns myself.

melee foot troops: something with heavier armor dv10 would be nice. . .

magical equipment: Spell bow: can only be taken by a mage gives +1RAV, 30RNG, and allows the casting of spells through the bow. it would work something like this. Lysette has the spell bow as part of her equipment, on her activation she casts a spell (let's go with fireball) picks a target within 30" and has LOS to target and shoots the bow. if the shot fails to hit the targets dv (dv10 for point a point on the field or dv of model targeted) roll for scattering. :devil:

sub-faction: the forest people

this would be part of the elven army but with no elves in it. warlord could be a treant or similar woodland creature and the troops could be centaurs, satyrs, pixies, nymphs, dryads, brownies, grigs. . .

ok, way to tired.

Some pretty neat ideas there Darthiir .

Some pretty neat ideas there Darthiir .

Thanks . .and after talking with rcrosby, i might actually have a way for the vale sniper to be a viable option instead of insanely broken.

Change the SA from stealthy to Sniper and make it like like Breaker SA. Model moves, shoots, and if the target gets stunned/killed is allowed to move its base width (in most cases 1").

Another item for the wishlist -

The Giant Eagle gains the special ability to pick up, carry and drop corpses.

Given the model's "I'm about to get a fish" pose, I think it should be able to, if it kills a model in one turn, fly off with it.

Either that, or give the bird "first strike". It's hard to fight back against death from above.

As a sub-list I want to see a High elf faction, a product of the Tirithilian war machine fast, deadly and arrogant (SP?).

Only elves no centaurs, eagles or treeman.

I would imagine them going to battle with banners flying and trumpets blowing (no shadowy abilities)

they would keep practice makes perfect of course and feathered skies. then add niriodel as an elite/solo

any ideas anyone wanna playtest it with me, bob?

What ever happened to Froshmeister's Moonscar Court Elf army list? He e-mailed it to me at one point and I thought it was pretty sweet. I'll have to dig through my computer files at home to see if I can find it...

Wild Bill :blues:

What ever happened to Froshmeister's Moonscar Court Elf army list? He e-mailed it to me at one point and I thought it was pretty sweet. I'll have to dig through my computer files at home to see if I can find it...

Wild Bill :blues:

It's still out there, but that's more of an unseelie (evil) court, at least what I have seen of it.

http://www.reapermini.com/~froggy/gallery/...e=MoonscarCourt

I agree the basic 750 pt list is still going to be pretty much the same for the elves, with 4 to 5 troops depending on the number of centaurs you want to bring and the archer/warrior ratio.

My thoughts are to give the centaur at least a LMA upgrade. this means that enemy archers are going to need a 10 to hit him (+2dv cav +1 LMA for a 13 dv). sure there is the chance that enough shots will always take him down, but i was thinking of adding niriodel to the mix. yes, he eats a lot of points but with a bandage or two the centaur will be able to snipe at the flanks a little longer. i haven't worked out the build yet . . . .

now onto more sleep deprived ravings. ::D:

new SA: Stealthy. . .the name might need some work but you give it to a new unit of archers. it allows them to move both before and after they shoot as long as they don't exceed their mov value.

hide them 3" deep in woods, move to the edge, fire and fall back :devil:

points on these guys will be comparable to vale archers if not higher.

I'm thinking . . .

Vale Snipers :ph34r:

Affiliation Model Troop Base Pts

Elves/Good Adept Standard ?

#MA #RA Dmg Mov Dis MAV RAV Rng DV CP MD

1 1 0 7 5 0 2 30 7 10

Special Abilities: Ranger, Stealthy

Stealthy is basically Run and Gun from CAV, which costs a Combat action and you basically get movement for free, since you can still make another Non-Combat Action.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see a high point Adept Model with something like this. Call them Vale Wardens/Rangers. Tougher Elves who live outside the walls of Tirithil. Use the Bull Orc Archer as a Template for basic stats (yes, give them some MAV and Tough), and then add in the Run and Gun/Stealthy, Ranger, and Marksmen. They'd probably be up around the 60+ mark, like the Skeeters, but they'd be rather nasty.

Nope, because you could shoot twice and still move. It actually makes it even nastier.

Marksmen - Sacrifice a non-combat action for a second shot.

Run and Gun - Move as part of a Combat Action.

So, Move some, shoot twice, Finish that movement. Just hope your target doesn't have defensive shot or magic and can pick you off at the point you shoot, which is when Defensive Fire would occur.

I still think you could get it around mid 60-low 70.

Yeah it would be expensive to field. But wouldn't you want to bring at least a couple to the dance?

If not a Soldier. Perhaps a Unique Solo that loses Unique status in a sublist. Granted, if it's a solo, it gets more than 1 track most likely and thus it's points will grow quite quickly.

OK , lets start by saying of all the Factions I own , I find the elves the most difficult to use (also its seem like every time I use them my suckky dice rolls comes out) . Here's my typical 1000 point list :

Troop #1

Selwyn

6 Archers

Niriodel with 4 Bless spells and LME

Troop #2

Arnise with LMA and LMW

5 Warriors

Niriodel with 3 Bandages and LME

Troop #3

Meridh

4 Warriors

Troop #4