Emmel Eitch

The Pain Cage (1.2)

I added an updated 750pt list to the old Darkspawn list thinking that it would help the newer players but the thread got canned. I shall repost the list here to give people new to the Darkspawn a good place to start when looking to make their first purchases.

750pts (exact)

Troop 1

Vysa (27)

+Musician (15)

Archers x6 (42)

Warriors x3 (20)

Troop 2

Vysa (27)

+ Musician (15)

Broken Fodder x6 (24)

Pain Tender x3 (30)

Troop 3

Soultender (45)

+ Totem of Battle (75)

Strat: Archers grab early pain tokens, warriors act as a screen to tie up potential calvary / fast units. Fodder are fast enough to move in and intercept the mob before they base the archers. Soultender is strictly clean-up and distraction. Unholy Hamster mentioned that he wasn't sure if the musicians were necessary and that the addition of warriors as a meat shield for the broken fodder would be ideal. I can't argue that a shield is worthless, so a little tooling to make room for warriors seems workable if that is your style. However, my style is to have everyone moving faster than the enemy. All units should be able to be exactly where they need to be at the exact moment they need to be... and escape just as quickly! So if you're playing my list, you should be aware that you will be doing a lot of running and gunning to be successful. Archers don't have a lot of armor so they move at 6 as opposed to the heavily armored 5 (standard). With a musician, they will move at a 7. Broken fodder already move at a 7 so they will be going at a monster 8 with the beast SA (deadly!).

So um... this is obviously the least read, least posted in, bottom-of-the-barrel thread for all of the factions so let's get this thing rolling!

I'd really like to see a cheaper rogue figure than Audine. 84pts is a lot for something that is likely to be the primary target of a lot of arrow fire. If we only had some non solo, non unique, inexpensive rogues... say, 45pts each? That's still too much for a pain cage revival so it'd be hard to abuse that. What say you, Reaper?

I'd really like to see a cheaper rogue figure than Audine. 84pts...

Rogues generally aren't cheap. Us dwarves have three. From best to worst, here they are: Snorri, Kara, and Margara. Points are 101, 93, and 43. Unfortunately Margara and Kara both have MAV 1, so they aren't super good at roguing. Snorri has MAV 2, so he backstabs at a respectible 4, plus he has two melee attacks, which definately puts him head and shoulders above the other two rogues.

I think the only truly cheap rogue (that I know of at least.....) is Lola Darkslip. 60 something points maybe? Or 40something? I forget and I'm in a rush so I'm not going to look it up. Anyway she is strictly a rogue, with only a short ranged attack added in. Most rogues come with a decent ranged attack or some other goodies like Mage, and that really boosts the price on them.

I think that for Reaper, Rogue models are supposed to be hard to use - something that an advanced player can murder the enemy with, but that an average player is going to have great difficulty using effectively. Part of that plays out as a higher point cost than you'd like to pay.

I think the only truly cheap rogue (that I know of at least.....) is Lola Darkslip. 60 something points maybe? Or 40something? I forget and I'm in a rush so I'm not going to look it up. Anyway she is strictly a rogue, with only a short ranged attack added in. Most rogues come with a decent ranged attack or some other goodies like Mage, and that really boosts the price on them.

Aside fron Lola, Nivar is probably the cheapest Elite Rogue int he game that also has a decent level of effectiveness, I wouldn't expect a decent Rogue to get much cheaper than him. Granted the Reven have Gankorak and Skralla both at #MA 2, MAV 2 with two wounds for 39 and 34 points each, so cheap cheap rogues arn't out of thr realm of possibility.

underling expressed it best. Fast movement! Always put a musician in the troop to max out your fodder! Also take advantage of the fact that we have lots of flying spellcasters to firebomb our opponents archers and especially any models without Tough. Surefire way to get pain tokens early. And pain's what we're all about. Cheers.

I have a Darkspawn player in my little group here in Tulsa. Our typical games run around 1,000 pts, and he almost always fields the Witch Queen. He'll give her Divine Favor and Greater Magical Empowerment. A CP 10 is absolutely brutal!! There are few soldiers in the game where he will have to even roll a die to determine whether he hit or not! It's automatic!! :blink:

He had the Queen, like 3 Warriors, 3 Fodder, and 3 Chicken Tenders...uhhhh...I mean, Pain Tenders. :lol:

Then he took Vysa, 6 archers, 2-3 Warriors, and a Soul Tender. Then the rest of his points was spent on spells!! :wacko:

He was playing against Dwarves that were being piloted by someone playing only his third game. So, the newbie made some early tactical errors that led to a bunch of pain tokens and that essentially spelled doom for the Dwarves. :down:

Darkspawn are still one of the toughest armies for ANYONE to have to face. It is always a struggle to win, and unless the Darkspawn player's dice are just ice cold, I have yet to win decisively!

Wild Bill :blues:

Yup. Playing the Darkspawn, it's a must loading up on some spells. Too many on one caster is risky; it's best to be able to have three casters with a fireball or firestorm handy. I vaporised the first Necropolis unit that came out handily, having three flying spellcasters in range. After that, it was just a matter of cleaning up by ganging up on the next units and cashing in the pain tokens accrued early on.

Without targeting priorities like in other TTGames, you can cherry pick which units get the spells or arrows thrown/shot at them. Always drop the ones without the tough rolls first for those tokens. Concentrating all the destructive energy gives you the tokens and takes away their activations. It's all about picking apart the opposing army. Darkspawn are evil, cagey, nasty, and don't fight fair. Always play'em that way. Cheers.

I have a Darkspawn player in my little group here in Tulsa. Our typical games run around 1,000 pts, and he almost always fields the Witch Queen. He'll give her Divine Favor and Greater Magical Empowerment. A CP 10 is absolutely brutal!! There are few soldiers in the game where he will have to even roll a die to determine whether he hit or not! It's automatic!! :blink:

He had the Queen, like 3 Warriors, 3 Fodder, and 3 Chicken Tenders...uhhhh...I mean, Pain Tenders. :lol:

Then he took Vysa, 6 archers, 2-3 Warriors, and a Soul Tender. Then the rest of his points was spent on spells!!

It wouldn't be an easy list to run up against in a tourney situation, but it likewise wouldn't be a really difficult list to counter if you just wanted to give him a beating.

I mean Teleport + Anything big and nasty would really put a crimp in the Witch Queens day, especially if you played a force with a high initiative card count, and you waited until the end of a turn to teleport and attack, giving yourself a good chance to attack again on the following turn before the Witch Queen could activate.

2 Wound Cavalry, or any sort of flyer, might also be fairly effective if they spread out as they moved across the board, granted they give the player alot of Pain Cage tokens. Archers should be rather effective, seeing as how the Queen has to get within a 18 to use her spells.

Crypt Legion focused on Zombies would be straight up nasty against this force, as she's be wasting very expensive spells and you'd simply be using Surges and Tough rolls to get your force back on it's feet.

2 Wound Soldiers and the appropriate mechanism to heal them should also fair well since he hasn't got his archers in the same unit as the Queen. 9 Justicars + Kristianna with a few Dispels in one unit, and Hospitaliers on the board in another would make it tough to get many kills without getting into the thick of hth combat. Likewise a unit of Vampires supported by a unit of Chattel could easily run down the Queen.

Our you could use your own CP 8 caster (Ashkrypt or Moandain) and attack the Queen with spells. A Gruesome familiar would be fairly powerful in such a circumstance where you are hunting a specific model. Granted MD 16 is pretty tough to hit. But with a familiar you wouldn't lose the spell if you missed.

This is just scraping the top of the barrel as well.

Heres a quick list I made with the Devourer. How do you guys think it would do, and do you think the new Devourer would make a good mage or archer hunter?

Witch Queen

Firestorm

Bolt

Ice Shard

Life Transfer

Isiri Archer*3

Isiri Warrior*4 479

Vysa

Broken Fodder*6

Paintender*3

Musician 276

Vysa

Isiri Warrior*4 107

Soultender 45

Devourer 93

I have played about three games so far (all against Nefsokar) and didn't even come close to a victory. I know Darkspawn is a mage based army but is there any way to combat Nefsokar effectively.

I have....

The witch Queen

Naisthe

9 Warriors

Vysa

Javolith

6 archers

5 broken Fodder

3 pain tenders

Ashakia

Spawn

Devourer

best question I have is, are you using your pain cage effectively?

Then I would also say, throw an upgrade on the witch queen and keep throwing her spells.

Spawn to burrow to whatever spell caster nefsokar is bringing.

We've always had problems with Nef. Our old solution was to take no casters and tons of fodder. Unfortunately, they're adept now so I don't know what you'd do. Perhaps take a small troop of fodder with vysa and musician and a spawn. Burrow the spawn and have your troop of fodder run far away until your opponent gives up in frustration.

Upgrading the Witch Queen with Greater Magical Empowerment is a must-purchase. It is a totally evil thing to do (which is nice since it fits so well with the Darkspawn alignment! :lol: ). That gives her a CP of 10!! :blink:

Most standard grunts in the game only have a MD of 10 or 11. Even with the CP hit of -2 (thanks to the stupid Nefsokar SA! :angry: ), her CP is back to 8. A roll of a 1 fails. Wow. You should still hit like 90% of the time!! I'm not seeing a major issue there. ^_^

Plus, archers are your best friend. Start whacking them at long range. Rack up those pain tokens baby!! :wub:

Wild Bill :blues: