Emmel Eitch

The Pain Cage (1.2)

My bull orc list will take you out just like it always does, but I pitty the Elves! That many flyers and spell casters has to make anybodys day a difficult one. 9 Incubus Warriors alone shoud scare anyone.

Castlebuilder

I'm looking to get into Warlord, and I love the Darkspawn figures. I'm really a rank noob and don't know what I'm getting into. There are four or five of us guys that want to start playing. Are there any reasons I shouldn't go with Darkspawn? What's the good and bad?

Welcome to our little addiction!

The Darkspawn are probably not the best army to start with, but if the other guys are new too, it should work out. I don't play the Darkspawn, but I've fought them enough times. The witch queen is an incredibly mean spellcaster. You also have some pretty decent flying spellcasters. Those can be very annoying to your enemy. The incubus warriors are another great asset for the Darkspawn. They are fast, have good defense against archery, and being flyers they don't have to worry about terrain. Elf players and guys who like to play expensive mages will quickly learn to hate them. Be careful not to try and use flying as a defense though. If you think that you are going to just fly around forever, the enemy archers will eventually roll enough 10's to bring you down. Use your flyers to move quickly and pick your point of attack, not as a way to hide. Don't spend too many points on the big stuff though. The isiri warriors and archers are very valuable. The archers can plink away at the enemy flanks to generate pain tokens. A stout line of warriors with a supply of pain tokens to keep them in the game can tie up enemy warriors while the queen wrecks havoc. Against armies that have several expensive leaders and elites you should do well. Against mob armies, such as the Crypt Legion and the Reven, you will have a very hard fight. The best thing to do is to play around and figure out what style works for you. Warlord is easy to learn, but once you think you have a solid strategy one of the other guys will come up with a way to beat it. Coming up with a flexible army that works most of the time will take many games.

Hope that helps. Some of the more experience Darkspawn players can probably give you some more detailed pointers.

Castlebuilder

we have no cleric which hurts us but life transfers can sorta make up for that the pain cage is just wonderful we have some great solos kinda lacking on elites but we have two that are pretty decent we only have one Sgt for 27 pts. she is pretty good we have no one with an RA to lead our archers and our archers are pretty impressive the Incubus rock and we do have Rauthuros and the overall most powerful mage in the game and she is a really cool fig to, but things will be changing and new stuff will be added in the future and that will really help to Strengthen our weak spots

I'm looking to get into Warlord, and I love the Darkspawn figures. I'm really a rank noob and don't know what I'm getting into. There are four or five of us guys that want to start playing. Are there any reasons I shouldn't go with Darkspawn? What's the good and bad?

I would suggest starting with a faction that already has a faction book available. The Darkspawn book is not yet available. Until the faction book is released, things in the faction could change that could make you regret the purchase of some or all of your models.

Rich

I'm going to go against what others are saying. Get into Darkspawn. They are an awesome faction that has alot of options for spellcasters, flyers, and alot of really... REALLY cool stuff on the horizon.

They already have an awesome faction ability, so they don't need a faction book.

Tons of diversity in model's sculpts. Everything from Incubus warriors, starved elves, giant demons, and things from the very pits of Reapers imagination.

The army can be played several different ways. A ranged army with magic and arrows, a melee army with beefy leaders pushing broken fodder and cheap warriors forward, a almost all flyer army, and who knows what else in the near future.

Yes darkspawn is a little more of a tactical type of army to play, but once you get the hang of them they are a VERY rewarding army to play. They started as my favorite army, and even though I don't play them the most, they still are my favorite after 2 years.

I will be totally honest here. Based on Ed's announcement, I would play Darkspawn for now using proxies, but wait to make an actual decision til after the new changes come out, which hopefully, again based on Ed's announcement, wont be more than a month or two. Besides, if you are just getting into the game, I would suggest using proxies and playing several different factions to see which one has the playstyle you like the most.

Its not always which models look the coolest to you, but what you can do with them too. And for others its all about looks.

well, heck, if you have the changes in your hand, you can answer that question better yourself than I could.

I can only say that the starter sets are always good buys because you get a decent amount of metal for lesser cost than you would if you bought the same models individually.

I know that current people I play against, play a more defensive game with the witch and archers standing back throwing spells at anything that gets within range, collecting pain cage points to keep the road block warriors and fodder upright. They'll throw in a flyer or two or maybe the burrowing solo to harrass anything that the archers or witch cant get to. And if the game is big enough throw Rathuros in there to scare the pants off anyone in the room.

As someone else said, other tactics are very valid and possible, but that is the main one that I have seen used. But, with the upcoming changes, I have absolutely no idea how that tactic will change or how it affects their build lists.

My Darkspawn armies have used the following models:

Witch Queen

Guros

4xVysa

2xThuusia

9xArchers

24xWarriors

5xSoultenders

I have other models, but have not used them because IMO they aren't as good as what I have listed above. If anything, I would like to have more Warriors, but since the Darkspawn faction is one of the ones that has not yet been expanded to full size, I have avoided buying more Darkspawn models at this time. My opinions will probably also change when I see the new rules/datacards.

The starter box is always a good deal for any faction.

Rich

I can never... ever imagine fielding 2 dozen warriors... That just seems crazy to me :) I would love to see it done though. I just never field swarm armies with darkspawn, I go with lots of mages, a touch of flyers, and at least 3 archers. After that the rest of the army varies heavily.

I say don't be afraid to buy something, keep your army smaller at first, buy a little bit of everything because you'll find a place for it in one shape or another. Not to mention you want some variety instead of playing the same army everytime you play the game.

If I were starting a new faction I would buy whatever box sets I could. Then buy 1 of every blister that I think looks cool(which is usually everything in the faction)

Then you end up with a huge variety of play style and tactics and if you end up hating something you bought and choose to never field it again, you are only out 5-15 bucks.

I can never... ever imagine fielding 2 dozen warriors... That just seems crazy to me :)

Are you serious? IMO they're the best cheap warriors in the game and we can keep them alive with pain tokens. Just be sure to have a few archers. Of course if you said that because you like to have more variety in your troops (as do I ) then I can see your reasoning. I think that a Darkspawn horde is a very viable army, I just haven't had the opportunity to field it yet. And I only have 20 warriors. Most of my lists have 40 or more. ::):

I can never... ever imagine fielding 2 dozen warriors... That just seems crazy to me :)

Are you serious? IMO they're the best cheap warriors in the game and we can keep them alive with pain tokens. Just be sure to have a few archers. Of course if you said that because you like to have more variety in your troops (as do I ) then I can see your reasoning. I think that a Darkspawn horde is a very viable army, I just haven't had the opportunity to field it yet. And I only have 20 warriors. Most of my lists have 40 or more. ::):

I always thought of them as OK... I always field a troop of Broken Fodder though. They are a bit more pricey but well worth it when stacked with the pain cage. Their low dv doesn't matter so I let them get hit, and then then toss the two tokens to keep them up.

If I went the speed bump approach, warriors would make more sense. I just prefer everything in my Darkspawn army to be flat out deadly. Archers, Mages, and Fodder oh my! :)

woohooo.. my first post :bday:

Anyway... I am a new warlord player... darkspawn at that... my question is, you just said that you only needed 2 pain tokens for a broken fodder.

Being 24 points wouldn't it round up to 3 tokens or does it round down? (and I soooo hope it's only 2 :devil: )

you round down from whatever the total point cost is of the fig to field so at 24 yes it rounds down to 2 tokens even at 29 it would round down to 29 and just remember bless the pain :devil: oh and go to www.reapergames.com to read my cool fan fiction ::D: