Emmel Eitch

The Pain Cage (1.2)

So with the new rule changes, does anyone have army lists they'd be willing to post? I'm just starting WL and have the DS starter set but I want to expand on that. I'm not sure where to start though. Thanks.

Well I've been through the first changes, but we have held off until we see the recent ones. Even not knowing everything, I would suggest adding some things to your list for the Darkspawn after the starter box.

1. Save some coin and grab a unit pack of Broken Fodder; you gotta have some cheap fodder.

2. A unit pack of archers is good to balance things out.

3. Heavy hitters!! The individual monsters are just cool. Grab a Devourer and a Spawn!! Grab Guros as another flyer who can lead a troop. Ashakia is one of the best Darkspawn models, and she'll give you a flying spellcaster. As for the newer models like the Incubus and Imps, I'll let the more experienced players who have them talk them up.

4. A couple Vysa's if you want to run more squads is imperative!

That should give you enough to lay down the core of your army, when Rauthurous comes out, snatch'em up!!!!!

Or grab a unit of Spawns. Believe me, nothing is more intimidating than a group of burrowed bases coming after you.

Qwyk and I playtested some Pain Cage, and I ran with a multiple of units with

Vysa

Broken Fodder x3

Archer

Both Vysa and the Fodder are cheap, cheap Pain Cage models, making them almost impossible to kill.

PS

Instead of posting my entire armies, I'll post a few troops that I've been playing with in the beta rules and tell you what they are meant for.

-Javolith

-Any Elite of your Choice

-4 Broken Fodder

-2 Demon Warriors

This makes for a brutal melee troop. I've been taking the clawed demon as the elite, but anything would work.(A pain mage could even make the troop more deadly) I use the Demon Warriors to assist the elite on strong targets, or use them to break down the front line. I let the fodder hang back until the second round of combat that way I should have some pain tokens so they can stay on their feet. The demon warriors hardly degrade as their damaged so once their in combat they are like a wall and with a little fodder support it's a wall of death.

-Rauthuros/Guros

-4-7 Incubus Warriors

-3-4 Demon Imps

I love this flyer troop. Typical strategy is to gang up on whatever you charge. 2 IW on each target, that way if you hit the model twice it's stats really start to go down before your other normal attacks. The imps are here to give the IWs a bonus for their combats. Getting the charge here is important, but unless your opponent has a flyer troop or a meety flying solo it's pretty much a done deal.

I also take a mage on of the ground troops and try to get of Dibilitating Pain, Fireball, Scare, any kind of AoE so that it weakens one or two models... Sitting the flyers up for finishing off the entire troop.

-Witch Queen

-Pain Mage

-Warriors

-Archers

Put enough warriors in the troop so you have one to put in front of each archer and mage. So if you have 2 archers, buy up 4 warriors. This troop will be your glass cannon. Your warriors are the speed bumps. Always put your warriors in front of the mages/archers, when you activate, move the warriors out and away(1 movement) blast spells then shoot arrows, then move the warriors back in front of the others.

Load up with spells of your choice, I am a big fan of the new Ice Storm, nothing like a solid 4 points of damage from the Queen. Take Counterspell with both mages to create a spell free zone that covers 1/4 the board. Also take bolt, for those spells that you don't really care if the enemy gets off anyway, like if he wants to ice shard a Broken fodder that you can use tokens to keep alive. Let him take the blow and you take the opportunity to toss a bolt at the mage.

So you know, this is my favorite troop. With Magic, Archery, and some melee combined on one card you can rip enemies apart well before they get the chance to heal or retreat.

Qwyk and I playtested some Pain Cage, and I ran with a multiple of units with

Vysa

Broken Fodder x3

Archer

Both Vysa and the Fodder are cheap, cheap Pain Cage models, making them almost impossible to kill.

PS

Tell me about it. For every Knight he killed, he was able to bring two Broken Fodder back from the brink.

I killed some of those Fodder at least 4-5 times <_< . It was annoying, since I didn't need to roll to hit, but had to waste the actions to kill them. Then I just had to hope I was able to kill enough of them fast enough, before he managed to kill off a model or 2 of mine.

Pain Token accumulation, under the current rules, bring a bucket to hold them all, if you happen to roll well :lol:

Are the Incubus Warriors and Demon Imps in the online store yet? I didn't see them in the Darkspawn section.

The Incubus Warrior has been out for some time. Personally I'm waiting for the Army pack of these fellows.

The Imp isn't released yet, and even when he is, I'm holding out for the army pack yet again.

-Witch Queen

-Pain Mage

-Warriors

-Archers

Put enough warriors in the troop so you have one to put in front of each archer and mage. So if you have 2 archers, buy up 4 warriors.

I've been taking Summon Spectral Minions instead of the Warriors. It saves some points and the minions are about as good as the warriors. They can't be Pain Caged, which is a disadvantage, but you can get 3-5 times as many...

PS

Just remember, putting a warrior in front won't necessarily protect you from Indirect ranged attacks. <_<

@Storminator

That's a great idea. I forgot about that spell. The only problem I'm going to have is fitting it into the Witch Queens allotment of spells. Ice Stormx2(6), Counter Spell x2(4), Debilitating Pain(2), Boltx3(3) so 15 total. I can drop some and fit it in. I'll try it out in my next game, it should be fun.

Anyone enjoying the new lightning bolt or blast spells?

@Qwyk

I haven't actually used an indirect shot yet. Once I'm in the game the fact that it exists just slips my mind. I need to remind the play testers about it and remember myself.

Pete nerfed my Valandil early in the 2nd Turn so he only got one spell off, and left that whole troop open to the Witch Queen's spells.

Debilitating Pain. HATE IT!

One point of damage, plus the effects of Hold.

Stupid evil, vile spell.

It's Perfect for you guys :lol:

so is anyone else as displeased with Aundine as i am??? and that is pretty displeased

She's actually one of my new favorite models. Putting her in a troop allows her to be alot more useful, and I'm glad they swapped her magic for a poison ranged attack, it suits her more.

She's a bit squishy with a dv 10, but considering that she should be backstabbing with a MAV of 8 she has nothing to worry about.

Your Soultenders are much more brutal in melee combat too. They are now much more effective than being simply "living Tacticians."

Burrowing Spawn was nice, but not overly intimidating, although several of them acting in concert as a troop is something to reckon with.

The Clawed Demon, it was hard to really calculate how tough he was. He did kill my Gerard, but that was also after Gerard was held for 2 Activations of the Clawed Demon, so he never really got to counter-attack.

Don't forget, Aundine has Outrider, so if you really want her to go and run around by her loansome, she can. The Poison Shot is definitely nasty. She is a Model I would seriously consider giving the Ranged Attack Upgrade on. Even if someone does try to plink her and weaken her, that Poisonous Defensive Shot is going to make them pay for it.