Emmel Eitch

The Pain Cage (1.2)

so is anyone else as displeased with Aundine as i am??? and that is pretty displeased

She's actually one of my new favorite models. Putting her in a troop allows her to be alot more useful, and I'm glad they swapped her magic for a poison ranged attack, it suits her more.

She's a bit squishy with a dv 10, but considering that she should be backstabbing with a MAV of 8 she has nothing to worry about.

yes 10 dv is kinda low and her 12" rng when she shots most people are within range to double move charge her and against her it is worth it to do that just so you can take her out and pretty easily

yes 10 dv is kinda low and her 12" rng when she shots most people are within range to double move charge her and against her it is worth it to do that just so you can take her out and pretty easily

She shoots you, you take damage and then another point of damage when you fail a Tough check to remove the Poison token. Then you are out of range for charge. Even if you do, you have to double move to get her which means you can't attack. She activates, needs a 3 or better to break b2b steps back and finishes you off, and then her friends swarm the rest of yours and she runs around to stab you in the backside.

Alternatively, she stands on a hill to gain and extra inch of range for every level of elevation. Meanwhile, you effectively lose an inch of movement because you have to spend an extra inch to go up the hill. Heck, if she already needs a 10 to hit you, she might as well roll twice with Marksmen and remove 2 points of damage to 2 targets if she gets lucky since sadly Poison tokens don't stack.

Rogues are not meant to be stand out in the open and trade shot type Models. You hang em back where it's safe. And spend the 30 points for the +2 DV upgrade on her. Also, yeah, she's dead against most Adepts and leaders. You use Rogues to kill off the Mages, Clerics, and other soft and chewy targets from a distance, or you bring her in to finish off some of the bigger boys once they are wounded and force them to eat the Deefnsive Strikes.

She shoots you, you take damage and then another point of damage when you fail a Tough check to remove the Poison token. Then you are out of range for charge. Even if you do, you have to double move to get her which means you can't attack. She activates, needs a 3 or better to break b2b steps back and finishes you off, and then her friends swarm the rest of yours and she runs around to stab you in the backside.

Alternatively, she stands on a hill to gain and extra inch of range for every level of elevation. Meanwhile, you effectively lose an inch of movement because you have to spend an extra inch to go up the hill. Heck, if she already needs a 10 to hit you, she might as well roll twice with Marksmen and remove 2 points of damage to 2 targets if she gets lucky since sadly Poison tokens don't stack.

Rogues are not meant to be stand out in the open and trade shot type Models. You hang em back where it's safe. And spend the 30 points for the +2 DV upgrade on her. Also, yeah, she's dead against most Adepts and leaders. You use Rogues to kill off the Mages, Clerics, and other soft and chewy targets from a distance, or you bring her in to finish off some of the bigger boys once they are wounded and force them to eat the Deefnsive Strikes.

isn't it when you base a person on two opposite sides they can not break away??? so by simply having two grunts base her on opposite sides she would not be able to break on a 3 or better

But she can be fielded in a troop now. So she waltzes up to within 12", shoots you (here's your Poison token!) then the Broken Fodder move in front of her, and you can't get her.

Then next turn, the Broken Fodder step aside, she shoots you again (twice if she feels like it!), and the Fodder close up. Then you get sick of trying to manuever around the Fodder, go up and whack 'em (one of them pops back up because Aundie earned some Pain Tokens) and Aundine steps behind you and trashes your model. Now she's up 2 models and has taken no damage. She's paid for herself, and anything else she kills is just gravy.

PS

isn't it when you base a person on two opposite sides they can not break away??? so by simply having two grunts base her on opposite sides she would not be able to break on a 3 or better

This can be pretty easy to stop. Put another model to her side, it could be a broken fodder or an Isiri archer.

Also, if they are ganing up on her, more than likely the two models combined out point her. So use that advantage in points elsewhere on the board.

i'm not trying to say she isn't useful i field her in most of my builds i have just had several times where she is a huge target mostly cause by the 12" rng

Most rogues will always be a tempting morsel, they tend to have short ranged attacks and low DV, so you really only want them in b2b if they can get a rear base and be safe.

They are a finicky model because you want to point them out the roof to make sure they last, but then it's hard to make them an effective point pay off, and it takes a bit of finesse to make them really effective, and they should NEVER run alone, because then they do get swarmed.

Yeah, I don't want it to seem like we're jumping on you or anything aircrew. It's just if you think the model is useless we're going to chime in with good ways to use what we've got.

If people are targeting here, try to make it so they forget about here. Leave her in the back, move her with other troops. Don't Make her presence known until you're ready to take that 12" shot.

If they keep catching you fielding her, try using that to your advantage. Lure them into positions that make their formations awkward, or open to a dive attack from some of your flyers.

I used to try similar tactics with Varaug and the old Axe of Garaga. Once people saw it in use, they stopped attacking him. So I stopped fielding him with it, but people didn't know that. But they still didn't attack. But I brought it just enough to keep em guessing. Same with Lurgh. People hated him, because if he got into the thick of it, he'd be a nightmare. So they focused all their energy on making sure he never got there. Okay, thank you. Time to bring the other 1300 points of my army to bear.

You can do the same thing with Aundine. She is very deadly, but as Shak said, let people target her. Use her as a diversion or a feint to set up a troop or flank elsewhere. I've suicided 200 point troops knowing my opponent is going to send a good 400 after them, just to make sure they don't wreck havoc. But that means on the other side of the table I have a 200 point advantage somewhere.

If you can sacrifice 59 points, to kill 200 points of Enemy models that are swarming her. You win that trade off. If you have 200 points of Archers spending their ranged attacks on Aundine at 59 points, instead of the Witch Queen or Thuusia which you then use to blow up a a bunch of other Models, you win that trade off.

Sometimes, Models are meant to die, without getting a single shot off, for no other reason than to make sure other more beneficial Models survive elsewhere.