Emmel Eitch

The Pain Cage (1.2)

I still dont agree bout the bolt. if was range attack could shoot things of dv7,8 or 9 fairly ok but lowest MD (correct me if wrong havent got all faction books) is 10 and therefore much harder to get. unfortunately my most regular enemy crusaders who have MD11 so even worse! ::(: However havin read your posts i realised i was just lookin at it as special use creature& havin now compared stats to equivalents (eg celest lion) i guess ur rite SE it not a bad mid range beast between tender an spawn, may even get1 especialy as only spawn mini i havent got!

The Bolt is just there to give a free shot at archers. It's a nice little bene, but not the point of the creature. It might make an archer decide to shoot someone else, which can be a great help. If the enemy decides to shoot a grunt instead of the Devourer, you can Pain Cage the grunt back up.

PS

I still dont agree bout the bolt. if was range attack could shoot things of dv7,8 or 9 fairly ok but lowest MD (correct me if wrong havent got all faction books) is 10 and therefore much harder to get. unfortunately my most regular enemy crusaders who have MD11 so even worse! ::(: However havin read your posts i realised i was just lookin at it as special use creature& havin now compared stats to equivalents (eg celest lion) i guess ur rite SE it not a bad mid range beast between tender an spawn, may even get1 especialy as only spawn mini i havent got!

Well, statistically speaking the devourer has as good a chance of hitting a templar knight, as a Vale Archer.

Every Archer in the game has MD 10 giving you 30% chance to return fire and hit them if they shoot you. Not great, but better than nothing. If you use bolt offensively pick targets that have already taken a wound, or very weak targets (Bondslaves and Goblins for example).

I've had great success using low powered casters as mop up units on already hurt models in several battles.

Every Archer in the game has MD 10 giving you 30% chance to return fire and hit them if they shoot you.

Ivy Crown Archers have MD 11.

Just further proof that they're broken...

:devil:

PS

My point about the chances to hit was that offensively it much less use than ranged as with range attack you could pick on easier targets.(also using against almost any unwounded mage would b on 10) However, again points taken guys about it maybe puttin people off shooting it(and it not too easy too hit either)and its a darn sight better as a creature now so ur collective posts have sold me, i will purchase, use and get back 2u with the results! :;):

Also remember with spellcasting you only need a sliver of LOS to get a decent shot as magic does not suffer from LOS obstruction, so you never have to worry about cover (unlike archers).

Curse you Stormy! I even looked up the Ivy Crown archers prior to posting tomake sure they were the same...and read the stat block for the Skirmishers by accident :)

Also remember with spellcasting you only need a sliver of LOS to get a decent shot as magic does not suffer from LOS obstruction, so you never have to worry about cover (unlike archers).

Curse you Stormy! I even looked up the Ivy Crown archers prior to posting tomake sure they were the same...and read the stat block for the Skirmishers by accident :)

:devil:

And the Goblins (Skeeters and Stingers) are MD 9!

That spiritual_exorcist guy... he has no idea what he's talking about! :lol:

PS

I played the Devourer even when its stats were weak. It's been much more effective now. My list has four flyers, all with spells! The bolt ability is just gravy and handy at that. It may not be the most powerful thing about the model, but it does have its uses.

I played the Devourer even when its stats were weak. It's been much more effective now. My list has four flyers, all with spells! The bolt ability is just gravy and handy at that. It may not be the most powerful thing about the model, but it does have its uses.

Just remember that the Devourer's new stats don't have flyer anymore.

just like to say ta 4 all the devourer input, has helped alot, also stormy i was unaware of goblins low MD as no one i know plays em and havent got faction book!Next question was Guros, feel hes way better since changes,fielded him a few times(mainly leading fodder an a coupla tenders)and the results been quite good.Reach, first strike an vile all help, not to mention decent flyin magic an better DV !Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!

Oops! Luckily my Devourer just kinda floated in that battle anyway! Still, being a larger model, it's got LOS to models that a smaller spellcaster might not see.

I've always fielded Guros with a Pain Tender musician and the max number of broken fodder.

With the data card changes I've got two small groups of Isiri swords with a Vysa sarg leading them, for a total of three squads.

For individuals I throw down Rathauros, the Devourer and Ashakia, and I put spells on the three flying mages. Cherry pick the opponents forces that are archers or that don't have Tough, vaporize them first with fireballs to build tokens in the pain cage. Let the Isiri clog up the initial charges of any units, and have the fodder and all their movement batting cleanup. Seems to win sometimes.

If your opponent has a flyer, gang up on it with Guros, Rathauros, and even Ashakia, and bring it down! Having all those flyers is what gives us air superiority!

And never send the Devourer in unsupported. Put it as almost a sniper like model, whether with the bolt or in close combat. Make your opponent roll a discipline check to charge it, don't give'em free defensive strikes.

Cheers.

Ok so I am playing in a campaign, and I've got my gaurd force:

Witch Queen - Magical Empowerment - 2 Fireballs, Familiar

-Nasithe

-7 Paintenders

Rauthuros

And I'm working on making my first Company, and I was thinking:

Javolith

-9 Isiri Warriors

Guros

-9 Isiri Warriors

Spawn

Audine - Familiar - 1 Bolt, 3 Iceshards

So I was wondering if anyone had any input!!!

So KC...

Troop 1

Javolith

-9 Isiri Warriors

Troop 2

Guros

-9 Isiri Warriors

Troop Solo

Spawn

Troop Solo 2

*Now unfortunatly Aundine isn't that good of a mage. SHe can have up to grade 1 spells (no bolt), and only up to 2 grades worth (only 2 ice shards)

And I'm working on making my first Company, and I was thinking:

Javolith

-9 Isiri Warriors

Guros

-9 Isiri Warriors

Spawn

So I was wondering if anyone had any input!!!

Drop Audine and beef up Guros. I'd give Guros Improved Protection, Greater Magical Empowerment, and a couple of spells, like a fireball or better yet a lightning bolt. Both if you can get the points (like drop a warrior).

Guros has the ability to be a powerhouse if you beef him up. Be sure to give him Divine Favor is possible. Keep him out of range of enemy archers, and he can fly around dropping spells safely. ^_^