Emmel Eitch

Glory of Payanak (1.2)

Ok, so I played my Reptus last night as a pure faction, and played at 1000 points, as this seems to be the area where the change of warriors from grunts to adepts begins to the an impact (up to the 1500 point mark). I chose to try using Khong-to to take the additional warriors in his troop. I ended up with something like the following:

Troop 1

Khong w/ DF

T'Kay w/ Bandage(x2), Bless (x2)

Archers x3

Warriors x5

Clutchling x1

Troop 2

Audt

Warriors x4

Clutchlings x2

Troop 3

River Troll

Troop 4

Uru

And a totem, for 4 Troops, 5 Init cards, 20 models.

My opponent was playing a dwarven list with a similar model count. Activations were fairly even throughout the game, and while my dice were not particularly brilliant at times, neither were my opponent's. Neither of us committed any phenominal tactical errors either. In the end, he wiped me out, leaving a wounded Freya, 3 shieldmaidens, and a halberdier on the battlefield.

Draw your own conclusions. Next game, I'll leave the Khong at home and try to field a larger army using Breakers and 'Strikers to fill out my troops.

~v

I think it almost certain that there will be a Negendra sub-faction. Will there be another sub-faction? Who knows? I doubt very much that KhongTo will get his own sub-faction - he will be the default just like the Duke, Judas and Khufu. Doing something like Reven (Greater Reptus/Lesser Reptus) would obviously be too much like the Reven. Maybe there will be a Lotus Sect sub-faction with pacifist Pilgrims as the grunts (#MA 0, MAV 0, DV 6). ::P:

One thing they could have done with the latest card changes is to have taken Marshwalker off of all the Reptus cards (with a drop in points cost as well!) and made it a faction ability like the Elves and Reven. I don't see any reason why freelance Reptus should have Marshwalker if freelance Elves and Reven also lose the ability to navigate their natural habitats. Marshwalker should also be modified so that it is good for water crossing as well as marsh. Then it might actually be useful from time to time. It seems like there are woods and rough on just about every table, but running into a marsh is quite rare (and is of course labelled "The Reptus Table".) Adding water crossing would make Marshwalker useful with about the same frequency as Wood Strider and Ridgerunner.

Rich

Now that sounds like a good trade off all around. It does fit in well with the pre-existing context of the Reven and Elves as well. I have to agree that I wish Marshwalker helped out crossing those rivers since we tend to see more of them than swamps. I know that it can't be told obviously but I'm thinking that Marshwalker isn't very many points.

Most of my Dwarf armies at 1,000 points are around 28ish models. I've played against Reptus where my opponent fielded Khong-to. He'd also field like 2 Ra'ams and a ton of small units running around with several trolls. It was a scary army!! :blink:

But, I had to play defensively and make him come to me and take advantage of the terrain. Yes, I ended up pulling out a clean wipe-out like what happened to you, but I don't think I had that much left on the board. A shieldmaiden and a halberdier, maybe. ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

I would put the value of marshwalker at less than 1 point. It seems to be more of a flavor rule. A species that is designed to live in a swamp would nt flounder around in a few feet of standing water. I see no reason why a swamp monster who is working for the dwarves or the orcs or whoever else would lose his swamp crossing abilities.

Now that sounds like a good trade off all around. It does fit in well with the pre-existing context of the Reven and Elves as well. I have to agree that I wish Marshwalker helped out crossing those rivers since we tend to see more of them than swamps. I know that it can't be told obviously but I'm thinking that Marshwalker isn't very many points.

Marshwalker is 1 point for the soldiers. Not much, but it is the reason Reptus warriors are more expensive than Bull Orc fighters even though they aren't any better.

Rich

I would put the value of marshwalker at less than 1 point. It seems to be more of a flavor rule. A species that is designed to live in a swamp would nt flounder around in a few feet of standing water. I see no reason why a swamp monster who is working for the dwarves or the orcs or whoever else would lose his swamp crossing abilities.

I could agree that Marshwalker would work for water, maybe even deep water that is uncrossable by others although at a reduce movement rate. Maybe that should be a house rule if Reaper doesn’t do anything about it.

Castlebuilder and I are going head to head friday with 750, 1000, and 1501 point lists. I'll post them here and let everyone know how they did after the slugfest.

Either that or there will be lizard skin suitcases & boots on somebodys doorstep tomorrow evening. Would that count as a battle report? ::P:

Castlebuilder

I think it almost certain that there will be a Negendra sub-faction. Will there be another sub-faction? Who knows? I doubt very much that KhongTo will get his own sub-faction - he will be the default just like the Duke, Judas and Khufu. Doing something like Reven (Greater Reptus/Lesser Reptus) would obviously be too much like the Reven. Maybe there will be a Lotus Sect sub-faction with pacifist Pilgrims as the grunts (#MA 0, MAV 0, DV 6). ::P:

You are correct about Judas and Khufu, but both the Duke and Varaug are the primary Warlords (Core rulebook and seemingly overall commanders) and they both have sub-factions in which they are the only available Walords. Likewise Judas' default faction is very clearly a faction catered directly to the use of Vampires, while not a sub-faction it is as close as you can get without restricting model choice.

I don't see why the possibility of Khong-To leading a sub-faction is even remotely unlikely. Bull Orc Fighters become adepts, and the primary Bull Orc Warlord got a sub-faction in which Fighters became adepts, Templar Knights became adepts, and the Templar Warlord got a sub-faction in which the Templar Knights became grunts, Overlord Warriors became adepts, and it seems fairly likely there will be a sub-faction under Matisse that will allow them to be used as grunts. I think this is a clear tend, every mainstay warrior that has been turned into adepts has gained a sub-faction in which they remain grunts, and I'd be shocked if it didn't occur for the Reptus as well.

That being said, the Nagendra would be just fine, if they produced playable and at least somewhat worthwhile statistics for them. So I wouldn't mind seeing them expanded, but I still think it is unlikely.

I don't see why the possibility of Khong-To leading a sub-faction is even remotely unlikely.

I think it is unlikely because I can't think of much they can add to a Reptus default list that wouldn't also end up in a KhongTo list. The exception would be if they did a Greater Reptus/Lesser Reptus thing, but that would be a rehash of the Reven concept. Maybe they have something amazingly clever planned; I just can't see it.

Rich

I'm sure OutKast Samurai will be on here as soon as he gets home to brag.....His Reptus really stomped me bad this afternoon. We got started around Noon, and by 3:00 he had whooped me three different times! OutKast wanted to play 1000 pt battles, since that is the point where the adept warrior issue reaches critical mass.

The first game was against a Crusader army. The Crusaders did fairly well, but the Reptus archers were hot. They managed to take down several knights before battle was joined. Healing spells and a tough check brought a couple back, but those spells would be sorely missed soon after that. In the end there were a whole lot of Reptus left and lots of tin cans laying around waiting for the can opener......

Game two was against a Grand Reven, no bull army. It also had no spell slingers, just 46 troops. The Reven fought hard, but the Reptus just wouldn't quit. OutKast placed his right flank well, puting them in a gap where it was difficult to swarm him. The Goblins and Beastmen just couldn't kill everything before they were wiped out. The lesser orcs on the other flank had to suffer through the depleted uranium homing arrows the Reptus were using. By the time melee was joined, there just weren't enough of them left.

Game three was only 750 pts. It was the Elves this go round, and it was my first game playing them. I used the speed bump approach with only 4 archers & Selwyn with as many warriors as I could field. The plan worked alright, but the Reptus just swarmed in and overran me. But I did kill Uru, at least I can say that!

OutKast played well and his archers were incredible. What is it with Reptus archers. Sergei's are just as deadly, if not worse! Despite my whining, the bottom line is that the Reptus did very well against three different kinds of army lists. None of the three games was really even close. When it all was over, OutKast and I agreed that the Reptus faction really doesn't seem to be handicapped as much as it would seem by the warriors changing to Adepts.

Next time I'm just gonna have to break out the bull orc list and teach him a lesson!

Castlebuilder

Castlebuilder fielded some nice builds giving me a good selection of armies to go up against. As he said we decided to go with the 1000 point armies because at 750 a single troop of warriors is enough to keep you competitive and at 1501 you can field the Khonger giving you an extra troop of them (assuming that the bodyguard rule is 'official') so you have the opportunity to field two troops of warriors and that gives you a solid core of high DV models. It at 1000 that you can only have 1 troop of warriors but really are needing more of a core force. First off don't underestimate our archers. They are deadly with markman and an RAV 2 and a DV 9. The same DV as our 'grunts' so not all that bad. One thing I did discover was that with not being able to field more warriors I had those spare points sitting around for a totem. Now the unit of warriors I had were MAV 2, my breakers were MAV 4, and even my archers were MAV 1. With Uru getting the point reduction there is little reason not to take him as Shakandara pointed out to me. I had both Uru and a troll and they made very effective flankers. They are not something your opponent can ignore but if they divert too much to take care of them then the rest of your lizards can hammer their battle line and take advantage of the lesser numbers. The longstrikers were a dissapointment. No tough and a DV of 9 means they have one shot and no chance at a rerun. The Crusaders were really the army that gave me the most trouble due to their healing and high DV's not to mention taking a fireball in a nice cluster after dropping the tin cans surrounding me. I managed to bottleneck the woodcuters and the goblins between a rock and a hard place. (well actually it was heavy woods but close enough) that let me only suffer 2 to 1 odds for the most part rather than the 4 or 5 to 1 that a couple of my guys got. All in all the Reptus are still a very viable faction that are handicapped a bit by the change but are not completely hamstrung as it first appreared. I was expecting far different results going into this one but 3-0 does tell a different story. Of course there was luck both good and bad on both sides but over the course of three games that tends to even out. We are planning on going at it again with some different mixes (CB is dying to get those bull orcs out) we will keep everyone posted will all the grusome details. Until then Feed the Young!!! :lol:

D'oh :wacko:

Here it is guys.

Troop 1

Chai-Uut

divine favor

T'kay

bandagex3

blessx3

Longstrikersx2

Archersx4

Troop 2

Audt

clutchlingsx3

warrirosx6

Troop 3

Ssathuss

skullbreakersx4

Troop 4

Uru

Troop 5

River Troll

Totem of Battle

They are not something your opponent can ignore but if they divert too much to take care of them then the rest of your lizards can hammer their battle line and take advantage of the lesser numbers.

That is why Uru and his boys are my favorite units.