Emmel Eitch

Glory of Payanak (1.2)

Last night was Test #2 of the Reptus at 1000 points. This time, I left the Khonger at home, and used our other units instead. I also took a Krung Beast as my only solo, as it is somewhat of a points-sink. Considering the number of troops I had, I could easily have taken two river trolls and Uru in his place though to not have handicapped numbers. I fielded the following:

Toop 1

Chai-Uut

Ssudai w/Fireball, Ice Shards x3

Breakers x4

Troop 2

Audt (boy do I love him after the data card revisions!)

Warriors x9

Troops 3

Audt

Longstrikers x3

Clutchlings x2

Troop 4

Krung Beast

Totem of Battle

4 Troops, 4 Cards, 23 models

My opponent was Weltrath, playing his O'lords. He brought a troop led by Andras, with Balthron, and a bunch of warriors, a troop lead by Corvus with 4 crossbowmen, a troop lead by Corvus with Bondslaves, two Chevys, and a totem. I soundly thrashed him, but there are two things that bear serious consideration. First, the activations came up in my favor nearly every turn; in deployment and the early part of the game, his activations were first. Once combat started, the activations consistently favored me. Also, my dice were pretty hot, while Erick's were, for the most part, stone cold. The fact is, I probably could have won the battle without the Krung even participating, if that gives you any idea of how lopsided the activations and dice rolls were...

We'll play again today, and I'll retest the list, hopefully getting the random elements to be not so lopsided so as to provide a more accurate representation of the relative power of the two forces.

~v

I'm not a huge fan of the krungbeast. I have never been able to successfully kill it's weight in points. As a matter of fact, on only 1 occasion has it even come close.

I would have gone with the trolls.

Other than the lopsided rolls how did the strikers+clutchling combo work? The thing I like about the krung is that its stats aren't quite as slashed after 1 point of damage.

The 'strikers suck, period. The low DV and no Tough means they die in a heartbeat, and the 360 (which is almost never *that* useful) raises their points too much; most did not make it to melee. I normally, don't field the Krung either, but my opponents have made some adjustments to dealing with the trolls, so I'm shaking things up a bit.

And now, for today's battle report... I played the same opponent, and he used an identical force to yesterday. I made some minor tweaks to mine (see my 'strikers comment), and used the following for my list...

Troop 1

Chai-Uut w/GMA

Ssudai w/Divine Favor, Scare, Ice Shard x4

Breakers x4

Troop 2

Audt

Warriors x9

Troop 3

Audt

Breakers x4

Clutchling x1 (yes, just one... the points worked out that way ::P: )

Troop 4

Krung Beast

Totem

Total 4 Troops, 4 Cards, 1000 points

This time, deployement and activations went much more even. Dice rolls also were fairly balanced; Erick's dice were actually red hot at the beginning of the battle, and he did some serious damage to my force in the first round or two of combat. But over the long haul, I was able to dig myself back out, and mostly through the efforts of the Krung Beast near the end; warmaster proved to be critical, allowing me to dump hit after hit on his big models. As an aside, an interesting bit of trivia from the match is that we went from 9 activations in one round to 4; I gave up two by combining my three factured troops all under Chai-Uut, and cost my opponent 3 by killing and looting out one of his troops, and both of his Chevys failing to make their Tough rolls. I thought giving up 5 activations that round was pretty impressive... ;)

So, this battle played out on much more even footing, and I won the day. I must grudingly eat my crow now. It appears that we are playable with breakers, at least against the type of force I was facing. Will it work against elven archers? Or Reven with their Warcry? I dunno. I do know that at least for now, the 'strikers will go back on the shelf, and I'll be picking up more breakers to field in great numbers in larger battles...

~v

I like the breakers. They seem to do fine against the orcs, but those elven archers eat them for breakfast. Most of the time when I play against the elves only a few lucky breakers make it to the enemy and then they get double teamed and squished.

The 'strikers suck, period. The low DV and no Tough means they die in a heartbeat, and the 360 (which is almost never *that* useful) raises their points too much; most did not make it to melee.

So, this battle played out on much more even footing, and I won the day. I must grudingly eat my crow now. It appears that we are playable with breakers, at least against the type of force I was facing. Will it work against elven archers? Or Reven with their Warcry? I dunno. I do know that at least for now, the 'strikers will go back on the shelf, and I'll be picking up more breakers to field in great numbers in larger battles...

Yes, longstrikers are out: 1. Clutchlings also have Reach and are cheaper and faster. 2. Skullbreaker's tough is better than +1 MOV, especially against the typical ranged attack when CdG is not an issue (it is as good as Deflect against RAV3 - work out the probabilities!) 3. Long horizontal spears on the models make placing them on the table an exercise in frustration. 3 strikes - you're out!

Skullbreakers are interchangeable with Warriors in close combat. The gigantic difference is the vulnerability to ranged attack (not helped by being slower!)

Rich

Agreed. The combination of Reach and 360 make them far too expensive for not having Tough. And yes, the long weapons are a PITA for placement. I'd still like to see a less expensive alternative to the Breakers, with something along the lines of DV 9, MAV 2, and Tough/1. Bring 'em in somewhere close to 20 points, and in large enough numbers (i.e. a 1500 point game, where you might be taking as many as 18-20 of them) and you'd be able to afford an extra model for every 4-5 breakers you'd swap out. That means an additional 3-5 models to the total force, and that can make a big difference.

My greatest concerns still lie in facing a heavily-ranged army. My opponent took 4 crossbowmen, but their limited range and the terrain allowed me to keep the majority of my force (except for the DV 11 + Deflect warriors) out of their line of fire. When he did get the opportunity to open fire on my breakers, 3 our of 4 went down in one round. If they'd been 'strikers, that would have been 75 points wasted. As it was, one of the 3 downed Breakers made the Tough check to stay in the fight. But if he'd chosen to field more crossbowmen, or if the field had been more open, I would have lost even more breakers to his shooters. Other factions with even greater range coupled with decent RAVs (and, god forbid, marksman) will have the opportunity to blow away the slow moving breakers, leaving only the warriors to hold the line when melee combat begins. I'm still not thrilled about this...

~v

Other factions with even greater range coupled with decent RAVs (and, god forbid, marksman) will have the opportunity to

Dont forget elves sure shot where most of the terrain that you were making your way behind would probably have been non existent against... With all the different faction SAs, that is one that I feel has not gotten a proper ranting against yet. Sure shot itself is not the end of the world, but couple sure shot with a 30 inch range and it becomes unbalanced in my opinion (it means the entire game depends on the terrain)

Agreed. The combination of Rach and 360 make them far too expensive for not having Tough. And yes, the long weapons are a PITA for placement. I'd still like to see a less expensive alternative to the Breakers, with something along the lines of DV 9, MAV 2, and Tough/1. Bring 'em in somewhere close to 20 points, and in large enough numbers (i.e. a 1500 point game, where you might be taking as many as 18-20 of them) and you'd be able to afford an extra model for every 4-5 breakers you'd swap out. That means an additional 3-5 models to the total force, and that can make a big difference.

This might be wishful thinking. Crusaders and Reven got replacement grunts for their adept warriors, but it doesn't look like Overlords did. DV9, MAV2 are now the territory of the longstrikers; a new model with these stats, especially if cheaper, would just make them even more useless. Also, we seem to be the least tough faction: our warlord has the lowest tough of all the melee warlords (tied at the bottom with some mage & cleric warlords!), our core rulebook non-unique captain & sergeant had a combined tough of 3 while all of the other factions had at least a combined tough of 4, and only the Overlord soldiers (!) had less tough then our soldiers in the core rulebook (3 of the 4 new Overlord soldiers have tough).

Rich

Well, keep in mind, I did say "something along the lines of"; a model with stats anywhere in that range would fit the bill. And the presence of such a model would do no more or less to render the 'striker undesirable as what has already been done; the heavy number of special abilities combined with a lack of durability (whether you view that as the DV 9 or no Tough) is what hamstrings this model. The only way this model will ever see any heavy use in a Reptus army is if they force everything else we have available into Adepts as well. Based on just a handful of games, I will clearly choose Breakers over 'Strikers, and I suspect most other Reptus players will make the same evaluation. Besides, if they bring out something like that, they might actually get us all to buy those... and that's profit. ;)

~v

The way to get Long Strikers into the mix would be to have a new model with the "Trencher" SA , then they become an option for greater use . :huh:

My playing has backed up what Shakandara has seen as well. The strikers just don't have a very desirable spot in the reptus list right now. We have one of the most reach heavy lists right now including our warlord. We also lack a single model with trencher. This combo makes fielding reach models not as desirable as they could be. Maybe something along these lines would make for an interesting new SA for either the whole faction or something simular to the lock shields that the O'lords are getting with the phalanx.

some kind of soldier (not just any model) but a soldier model with trencher would probably be best for the Reptus.

I suspect that the 'strikers will be the only reach unit in some sort of sublist. When there is no alternative, then they willl have some sort of role.

I think Khong-to has reach not because he is supposed to be giving suupport bonuses, but as a defensive measure. Khong-to is immune to first strike, and it doesn't seem like any of the other warlords are.

Well, I suppose it's about time I chimed in.

I've played only two games with my Reptus; vs. Darkspawn and vs. Razig. I won the Darkspawn game, but that was more due to numbers. It was only a 500pt game and I duly outnumbered him. Razig, that's another case... I was almost wiped clean and decided to give up with only two figs on the board left. He had one captain and a whole other troop left. Anyone else go against these guys yet? I'm not really sure the best tatics there.

I do have a few questions... for the totem, what does everyone see in their head (or made, even)? Is it a pagoda MADE out of jade or is it a pagoda protecting a jade figure/egg/something? I know it's not a big deal, but I'm curious. I would like to start designing mine to use. Also, would anyone be interested in a printable, cardstock version of a totem to use in their own army? I've recently downloaded some cardstock terrain and it got me thinking that it would be the quickest and easiest way to make one. If I go about making one, I would be happy to share it (if that's not stepping on Reaper's toes, that is).