Glory of Payanak (1.2)

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have a few questions... for the totem, what does everyone see in their head (or made, even)? Is it a pagoda MADE out of jade or is it a pagoda protecting a jade figure/egg/something?

My totem can be found in the old Reptus thread here. As you can see, I decided to go with a jade idol of Payanak for my totem. It was quick, easy, and got me on the field for the RCon tournament back in May.

~v

Still, anyone have any good tactics against Razig's crew?

I lost to Razig in the ReaperCon Finals and my Reptus took second. The key to fighting Razig is the "I got yo mu-nee" theory.

Kill the crap out of Razig alot. Hide the scurvy dog, and move really fast. Your DV's should be high enough to take some hits and keep charging. Archers and Spellcasters should attack Razig or Soul cannons agressively. Trolls are not going to shine against Razig, but can pack a whollop if they can actually get there. Don't be shy and force him to sacrifice his army to keep Razig coming back. Fast and agressive will outplay any ranged army.

Welp, I played in a tournament today and came in second. It was four games done round robin style. Each game had a different scenario, and ranking was decided by totaling up all bounty points after the four games.

I used this list:

Troop 1:

Audt

warriors x6

archers x3

Troop 2:

Chai uut, divine favor

breakers x7

troop 3:

Audt

cletchlings x6

musician (so that these boys can act as anti archers or objective retrievers)

troops 4-6:

Uru and his bro's

Totem of battle.

999 points

29 models

6 cards

In my first game I played against the dwarves. I deployed my first 4 troops along the left side of the board and then my opponent finally had to set something down, so he put his stuff along the right side. Not to lose my oppurtunity for a first turn micro-volley (only 6 shots) i placed Uru and my archer/warrior troop on a hill at the right side of the board. The archers killed some stuff on that first turn, and walloped a bear rider on the next. Then the other rider suqished Uru in one go and the first rider stood back up. At that point his swift axes and maidens lined up along a ridge, and proceeded to wallop on my lizards for the rest of the game. When it was all said and done I had earned about 375 points and he had killed about 615 worth. My opponent was the fellow who took first place. Lesson learned: Don't attack people who are holding a ridge!!!!!

In my second game I cleaned house. The mission was to pick one of your opponents leaders or elites and kill him. If you killed that leader than you earned an extra 300 points. I destroyed all 992 points worth of crusaders in 4 turns (it would have been three but he had 2 guys left). This butt wupping more than made up my lack of points from the first game. I lost about 400 points worth of guys, plus he killed my captain, earning him an extra 300.

Game 3 was a ton of fun but really frusterating. I played against shadowhunter's Dwarves (yup, that's 2 dwarven armies so far). A bunch of tokens were spaced across the middle of the board. each token was worth a predetermined amount of points. You went out and performed a loot action on the token to see how much it was worth, and then brought it back to another token witch you had placed in your deployment at the start of the turn. No points were awarded for killin' stuff or eating the bodies. Shadowhunter collected 600 points of treasure and I brought in 700. When we ran out of time I had another 800 points worth of treasure within an inch of my spot. If we had had another 3 minutes for another turn I would have racked in that 800 points, witch would have won me the tournament :down::angry::down::angry::down: .

The last game was on the same map as game two and three and vs. another dwarven army. This game had a house in the middle of the board. Points were awarded for kiling stuff and looting, and 1000 points were awarded for having the most stuff in the house at the end of the game. I got the first or second activation and ran all but one of my clutchlings and their srgt. into the house. The enemy's griffon promptly sat down on the poor clutchling who had been unable to get into the house. This pretty much closed of the entrance to the building. Over the rest of the game the scrum got going outside the house, killing off Uru, 2 trolls, the griffon, a bear, and a fistfull of grunts from each side. When the game was done I had killed about twice as many points as my opponent (it's because I swamped the griffon, he's worth a ton of points) and my clutchlings were the only thing that had gotten into the house.

I finished the tournament with a few more than 3950 points. First-place beat me by 400.

If I were to do it again I might have brought an extra couple of archers, because they punched lots of really big holes in the Army of Justice. I also would have aproached the first battle completely different. Deploy all one area and then make him come to me while I archered him. Definatley don't attack up a hill. Over all it was alot of fun and I look forward to doing another one.

Edit: I forgot to talk about the faction abilities. Over the course of 4 games feed-the-young earned me a whopping 26 points. And that was with a semi concentrated effort to loot stuff. Not so impressive.

The aura of jade spikeyness was a bit better. I didn't use it much because I had to stay on the offensive, but it helped a bit when I got bogged down. It isn't bane, but it is better than I usually give it credit for, I just need to train myself to take better advantage of it.

Nice looking pagoda, chesme. As for the questions about Razig, I can't be of much help; I haven't had the (mis)fortune of facing them. However, with the soul cannons both being increased in price, and their ROF cut in half via the Gun SA, it shouldn't be so nasty to face them now. My only comments are echos based on what has already been said; since the cannons will likely fire on you in round one after you get into range, give your opponent lousy targets for the cannons. Avoid giving them opportunties to use blowthrough on several models, and if you must do it, bait them into firing at targets that have high DVs (especially if the model has Deflect as well). Use your speed in round 2 to engage as many of those cannons as possible, bog them down, and get that first wound on them.

~v

Another approach might be to use a suicide troop to disarm the cannons. Run some expendable stuff (trolls or clutchlings could be ideal) towards the cannons and force them to fire or end up being attacked. Then, while the cannons reload, you can get in a bunch of meatier stuff behind the fodder.

Ran out the Reptus again this evening, this time against a different opponent, and with some more minor tweaks to the list to keep me from being too predictable. Fundamentally, however, the list is the same as what I've used for the last 2 battles. My list was:

Troop 1

Chai-Uut w/LMA (which, incidentally, I complete forgot about during the fight, but it didn't matter)

Ssudai w/Divine Favor, LME, Fireball, Ice Shard x2

Breakers x4

Troop 2

Audt

Warriors x9

Troop 3

Audt

Breakers x4

Troop 4

The Mad Cow

Totem

4 Trrops, 4 Activations, 22 models, 999 points

My opponent this evening was a Necro Crypt Legion force. It was something along the lines of a troop with 6 archers and 1 warrior, led by Moandin, a troop of 8 Breakers led by Railor, a troop of 8 breakers and Gauren led by Kentaur, and Kaena. My opponent forgot to add his second tactician card into the deck until the 3rd or 4th round, but I think the impact would have been fairly minimal. Activations were fairly even, and I'd say that dice were pretty even too, except when it came to my opponent making those Tough checks for the Crypt Legion; we calculated that he had some 30 or so opportunties to roll Tough checks, and made only a single one. Still, I beat him handily with a wounded Ssudai, 4 warriors, and an unwounded Chai-Uut.

So, once again I am forced to eat crow; I was again effective at 1000 points. I guess next up is to try it a 1500 points, the max without being forced to add a Warlord. In the meantime, I need to buy more breakers so that I can stop proxying my longstrikers and clutchlings for them. :;):

~v

Edit: I forgot to talk about the faction abilities. Over the course of 4 games feed-the-young earned me a whopping 26 points. And that was with a semi concentrated effort to loot stuff. Not so impressive.

This really shocks me. In many of the tourneys I played in where bounty points were given for looting, it has made quite a difference. In fact, one game at RCon 06 was won by a mere 26 points (10d6 bonus to loot for that game.) Feed the young won me a game there and I usually find it highly effective.

Lets here from the rest of the Blood Clutch on 'Feed the Young'. How have yall fared with it?

I think I might have been able to get some more points, but that would have slowed me down. Most of the time the scenarios called for fast aggressive play, so I rarely had time to go out of my way and loot stuff. That being said, during the last turn or two of every game, and whenever I had an obvious oppurtunity, I looted stuff.

Lets here from the rest of the Blood Clutch on 'Feed the Young'. How have yall fared with it?

Well, I have used it fairly efectively when I have used it. But, admittedly 9 out of 10 games I have played have either been tourney games or regular just kill em games. I have really only played 3-4 total games where looting was the focus. But, yes, in those games I liked the bonus.

The only time (other than warm-up games for R-Con's tourney) that I've been able to use Feed the Young to effect was at the R-Con event. Even the one time we played for points at the Asylum for one of the monthly tournaments, we only played straight points, so I couldn't take advantage of Feed the Young (which, IMO, kinda blew).

I find it has even less impact on most of my games than Aura of Jade Thorns; at least I usually find a use for that a couple times a game now (most often with wounded multi-track models, making them a hair harder to eliminate).

~v

I've only played in one tornament, it went by bounty point to resulve draws, and 1 or 2 one off games were we desided to play bounty points rather that "so what's left standing". In the one off game it scraped me a win (1000pt and i won by 5-15pt) and in the tornament the bounty was acumalitive to resulve draws... it would of been quite helpful if i was one of the drawing parties as i had managed to loot an entire elven army.

All in all it gives us the edge in a close game to scrap the victory, but i think if you have the time to loot the opponent anough to make a real diffrence you going to win anyway and if your truely loosing then you won't have the time to claim those loots.

well, one of the biggest issues is, that we have a choice. We can either use Aura of thorns to help make sure we survive the melee or we can not use it in hopes to have the extra action to feed the young.

One or the other needs to be an automatic thing, not a waste an action doing thing. And since Dwarves already have the bane (auto cou which translates to feed the young) then I would say it should be the aura f thorns. It should not require us to waste an action to have it. It is limiting enough to say it only activates if we are already in b2b contact and initiating the combat (that is it is still only good for going against defensive strikes of opponents).

Yes, I could wait and do it the next turn, but no, I dont tend to stand around on those next turns..