Emmel Eitch

Axe and Hammer Tavern (1.2)

Why go higher than 1500? I keep seeing you mention that Storminator. Seems like the sweet spot for Warlord is 1000-1500.

Granted I'm new to the game.

1501 requires a Warlord, which almost no one takes unless forced to. Putting a couple hundred points into a single model (instead of getting a Captain and 8 grunts) gives a pretty serious disadvantage, so few folks do it.

But at 1501, both sides are required to take the Warlord, which nullifies the disadvantage.

Nothing wrong with 1000 point games, and it's certainly easier to start out there, but there are lot of cool models that have woofin stats that just never make into smaller games.

PS

Storminator just likes to rub it in our faces that his precious Overlords have a real warlord, while ours sucks! ::P:

But, because Storminator asked for it, I came up with a 1,501 point list. However, since I've never played with either Battlefury I have no concept of how that actually work in real life, so my list is just a best-guess estimate. ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

Battlefuries against the Warmaster list! You are on!

Now if you didn't live 1200 miles away...

PS

That would be such an awesome game!! I have plenty of Warmasters in my army too!! 5 of them!! :bday:

Is anyone going to Albancon in early October? I am going to attempt to make it, but I have to fly standby all the way so... :wacko:

Wild Bill :blues:

But, because Storminator asked for it, I came up with a 1,501 point list. However, since I've never played with either Battlefury I have no concept of how that actually work in real life, so my list is just a best-guess estimate. ^_^ <snipped out list>

Take that, Stormy!! :lol::lol::lol:

perhaps he will....

I am thinking about trying that on him when we play this weekend.

1501 requires a Warlord, which almost no one takes unless forced to.

Emphasis mine and precisely why I'll stick to 1500 or less. :D

Coward. :;):::P:

PS

It wouldn't hurt to play "Warlord" every once in a while...

Rich

It wouldn't hurt to play "Warlord" every once in a while...

Rich

Hey, if the man's happy playing "Unique Sergeant" more power to him!

Only with mocking. :devil:::D:

PS

Dwarves with swords = pwnage.. its a proven fact that I do not have the time nor inclination to prove. Just trust me. In fact when I get the new Warlord, I will be changing out those horrible looking axe with at least one sword ;) .

Dwarves with swords = pwnage.. its a proven fact that I do not have the time nor inclination to prove. Just trust me. In fact when I get the new Warlord, I will be changing out those horrible looking axe with at least one sword ;) .

do you want to know why thats a fact its because both dwarves and swords own err pwn, unless that sword is being used by an elf. :devil: So if you combine both dwarves and swords you get a finished product that is even better at pwning.

Today I played in Storm's tournament and fielded this list

Logan w/Margara and Durgam, 3 swiftaxes and 6 piercers

Freya w/6 shieldmaidens and 3 halberds

Gargram w/8 warriors

Thorvald

Logan is... different. I put Greater Magic Armor on him so he had 11 defense. But it was still scary to put him into combat for fear of losing him. My 77 point Sgt. has 11 defense... and Logan's 336 after g.m.a.

Anyways my strategy with him was to screen him with the swiftaxes and Durgam (though in practice it was mostly the swiftaxes. I found that he worked best if you use him amidst a swarm of your own models (and my 3 swiftaxes just barely did the job). Not so much for support reasons, but to prevent him from being swarmed himself. Pick a target you want dead, make sure it doesn't have more than 3 tracks (key!) and sic Logan on that target. My biggest failures with Logan involved only having grunt targets to attack (but that Khamsin archer was VERY dead) and allowing Logan to be pinned down at range where he didn't have good options for retaliation. My best successes with him involved charging headlong into a troop of adepts and smashing their leader to paste and doing the same with a mage (where you don't really need the 6 MAV.. on an 8 DV.. but the sheer crushing force of having Logan crash into a spellcaster was fairly impressive).

So the keys are pick multitracks, support to protect against swarms, and screen from ranged attacks until you're ready to let him attack. Imagine that he's a sort of crazed, almost feral being who's battle rage is barely held in check by his comrades in armes. They must keep him from seeing the battle too early or else he will charge head-long into his own death - so they keep a close eye on him, keep him distracted, until the opportune moment, and then BAM they let him see the battle and off he goes, yelling and screaming and swinging his axes, completely blind to caution and overcome with battle lust.

Makes for a fun, difficult and interesting model to play. He's not a solidly amazing model I don't think, because you need to be very cautious with him. But in my eyes that's a plus, I don't like having an invincible model. I like my armies to have advantages AND disadvantages. Gives me plenty to think about and work with/work around during a game.

Imagine that he's a sort of crazed, almost feral being who's battle rage is barely held in check by his comrades in armes. They must keep him from seeing the battle too early or else he will charge head-long into his own death - so they keep a close eye on him, keep him distracted, until the opportune moment, and then BAM they let him see the battle and off he goes, yelling and screaming and swinging his axes, completely blind to caution and overcome with battle lust.

That created some vivid imagery in my mind. So, are you writing the fluff for the faction book? :lol:

Seriously, though, seems like a good review of how to use him. I can't say for certain since I don't play Dwarves at the moment.

so you didnt say how far you made it in the tourney, nor if you had to face anything similar to that warmaster list that storm posted up.

Who/what did you face?