Emmel Eitch

Axe and Hammer Tavern (1.2)

I must agree with not liking the GW Slayer-esque look to the new Warlord, especially if he foreshadows more of them coming. ::(:

An entire unit of Troll-Slayer lookalikes <_<

But it does offer up the possibility of an Elite Dwarven unit of adepts with Insane! and First Strike.

Well.. at least Reaper's dwarves look like they have bodies and legs and arms. GWs tend to look like a pile of hair, beard, stubby legs, and weapons. I do like the sculpt (cept for the weapons) over any sculpt of Slayer from GW.

I dont know that I would wanna see an entire unit of these guys, furthermore, I would rather have seen Logan as a solo or hero than a Warlord.

Battleragers type beserkers would have been preferrable for a Warlord and a unit.

I cant wait til the book comes out and I can start collecting Dwarves.

GW-esque slayer rip-offs would something of a turn-off, dwarven berserkers with bearskin cloaks and a can-kill attitude, but with the suicide fluff however could be nifty if done well. Although since the dwarfs like bears and not reven filth, perhaps that should be orcskin cloaks. :devil:

Btw. with so many stickies on the tactics forum maybe they ought to be merged into one for the good, one for the bad and one for the really ugly (which should include the other neutral factions as well, since the reven really doesn’t deserve anything of their own :lol: )

GW-esque slayer rip-offs would something of a turn-off, dwarven berserkers with bearskin cloaks and a can-kill attitude, but with the suicide fluff however could be nifty if done well. Although since the dwarfs like bears and not reven filth, perhaps that should be orcskin cloaks. :devil:

I don't know about that. Look at some of the Dwarves -- sure look like bearskin cloaks on some to me, including paws & claws still.

Things are rarely as they should be and most often as they ought not to be. For example the existence of the reven.

I had new models in mind when I wrote that, tossing around a few ideas and point of views, sort of thing.

...furthermore, I would rather have seen Logan as a solo or hero than a Warlord.

Hmm, now that you mention it, that does make sense, having Logan be a solo or an elite. Personally I'd go the elite route.

Here's my thoughts behind it - not sure what your ideas behind that thought were Naterstein.

Fluff-wise the Dwarves are one of the true standing armies in Taltos. Yes, you've got local warlords and some very potent military forces - but the way the Dwarves are holding Talon Pass against the Reven, plus fending off the Overlord's slavetraders, they are characterized not by being a small, unorganized group of fighters, but as a truly organized and well trained army.

So why in the world is a psycho leading their forces? All of our warriors are professional killers (bane), trained to fight as a unit (trencher/reach). I'd think that to become a leader among the warriors you'd need to show your tactical prowess somehow. Logan's style of fighting goes something like this. Pardon the poetic license.... "RARG me hungry for blood and death!!!!"

That fits an elite personality - I'm psycho, need a captain to keep me in line, but man do I fight well.

Shouldn't a warlord be somebody who can lead large forces into battle, and actually lead them? Logan's personality requires his army to protect him - instead of him lending his tactical prowess to his army.

So don't get me wrong - I think Logan's great, and if he stays as Warlord I'm definately using him, but I do think that having Logan be an elite makes more sense than having him be the warlord. I'd love to be able to field Logan in Logrim's troop! Logrim would be like the older brother who keeps a watchful eye on his berserker little brother, and heals him when he sticks his head out too far.

That'd leave room for a dwarf warlord that's somewhere around 250 points :D

Here's my thoughts behind it - not sure what your ideas behind that thought were Naterstein.

Fluff-wise the Dwarves are one of the true standing armies in Taltos. Yes, you've got local warlords and some very potent military forces - but the way the Dwarves are holding Talon Pass against the Reven, plus fending off the Overlord's slavetraders, they are characterized not by being a small, unorganized group of fighters, but as a truly organized and well trained army.So why in the world is a psycho leading their forces? All of our warriors are professional killers (bane), trained to fight as a unit (trencher/reach). I'd think that to become a leader among the warriors you'd need to show your tactical prowess somehow. Logan's style of fighting goes something like this. Pardon the poetic license.... "RARG me hungry for blood and death!!!!"

While the backround story hasn't been completely hashed out on Logan or Logrim, the concept behind them are that they are from the "old world" here with fresh new recruits to help out the Dwarves of Aizen Krahl.

TO be honest this Troll Slayer type Warlord along with the notion of black-powder have really put a dent into my thouhgts of collecting a Dwarven army. They arn't things that appeal to me, I'll wait to see how the army fleshes out, right now I like quite a number of units and models, I think the army is viable, but they could use a Warlord that isn't 300+ points.

TO be honest this Troll Slayer type Warlord along with the notion of black-powder have really put a dent into my thouhgts of collecting a Dwarven army. They arn't things that appeal to me, I'll wait to see how the army fleshes out, right now I like quite a number of units and models, I think the army is viable, but they could use a Warlord that isn't 300+ points.

I agree, going with black power and Visigoth looking berserkers is making this faction look too much like another company's dwarves from across the pond. The way the dwarven models look (Klocke’s sculpts are the greatest) :wub: and the way the faction is set up is what drew me into Warlords and made me put up my Dark Eleves from that other company. I suppose I could live with an adept that has a long rifle but if their range in only 18" or not much more I won't even bother with them and stick with crossbows, however one idea is an adept with pistols that can use it's RAV in HtH fighting. I don't want to see any canons, leave that to Razig and crew, but give me unique looking throwing or non-powdered shooting machines. Another monster that is cheaper than the Griffon would be nice too. Just my $0.02

hey-who-and-a-whatnow? Troll slayer, gotcha there with Logan.. black powder among the dwarves? Where's that comming from? Razig has blackpowder, is that what you're talking about?

Honestly I wouldn't be too averse to seeing some blackpowder among the dwarves. Dwarves are very industrious, and black powder is already in Taltos so it's not completely out of line. I DON'T want to see dwarves become a razig type army where we can pass out pistols to everybody and stand off and shoot them all. Dwarves have axes for a reason! Besides, dwarves drink too much to shoot straight. We need to be in close combat where our stumbling helps us dodge attacks :lol:

@ EE:

Hmm, Old World, fresh new recruits :B): That sounds like alot of fun! (goes off and wants the dwarf book)

hey-who-and-a-whatnow? Troll slayer, gotcha there with Logan.. black powder among the dwarves? Where's that comming from? Razig has blackpowder, is that what you're talking about?

In Skralla the Black's background in the Reven book it says she stole her pistol from a Dwarven armory leaving behind many a dwarven corpse. :angry:

I've been playing around with making a list for a 1000 point tournament that I'll be in next week. What do you guys think about these two list? Note; I like to use the Griffon as a mage/ archer killer.

1000 Pts - Dwarves Company - Aizen's Hammer

Fulumbar Ironhammer (7#, 292 Pts)

1 Fulumbar Ironhammer, Clan Eldar

Bloodlust/2; Deflect; Fearless; Tough/3; Trencher

1 Margara Firetongue

Mage 3/12; Assassin; Defensive Magic; Rogue; Ronin

1 Spell - Ice Shards

1 Spell - Ice Shards

1 Spell - Scare

1 Spell - Dispel

5 Dwarf Piercer

Volley

1 Troop Musician

Freya Fangbreaker (7#, 258 Pts)

1 Freya Fangbreaker, Shieldmaiden

Deflect; Fearless; Tough/2; Trencher; Warmaster

1 Divine Favor

6 Shieldmaidens

Deflect; Tough/1; Trencher

1 Troop Musician

Gargram Heavyhand (7#, 175 Pts)

1 Gargram Heavyhand

Bloodlust/2; Deflect; Tough/2; Trencher

3 Dwarf Warrior

Bloodlust/2; Deflect; Tough/1; Trencher

1 Troop Musician

3 Dwarf Halberdier

Reach

Thorvald Clawhelm (1#, 101 Pts)

1 Thorvald Clawhelm, Bear Rider

Shock; Cavalry; Horrid; Mounted; Reach; Tough/3; Warmaster

Griffon (1#, 174 Pts)

1 Griffon

Shock; Beast; Flyer; Ranger; Tough/2; Warmaster

Total Company Cost: 1000

I usally like taking a mage to knock now high DV targets. I put Scare on Maggie but I have never used it and I don't know how effective it is.

This next list I dropped the mage for a Totem. I did make a list with a totem, mage, griffon, and bear rider but it only had 18 models (but still 5 cards) in it but I thought it would be to out numbered.

1000 Pts - Dwarves Company - Aizen's Hammer

Fulumbar Ironhammer (6#, 209 Pts)

1 Fulumbar Ironhammer, Clan Eldar

Bloodlust/2; Deflect; Fearless; Tough/3; Trencher

5 Dwarf Piercer

Volley

1 Troop Musician

Freya Fangbreaker (6#, 232 Pts)

1 Freya Fangbreaker, Shieldmaiden

Deflect; Fearless; Tough/2; Trencher; Warmaster

1 Divine Favor

5 Shieldmaidens

Deflect; Tough/1; Trencher

1 Troop Musician

Gargram Heavyhand (6#, 169 Pts)

1 Gargram Heavyhand

Bloodlust/2; Deflect; Tough/2; Trencher

5 Dwarf Warrior

Bloodlust/2; Deflect; Tough/1; Trencher

1 Troop Musician

Thorvald Clawhelm (1#, 116 Pts)

1 Thorvald Clawhelm, Bear Rider

Shock; Cavalry; Horrid; Mounted; Reach; Tough/3; Warmaster

1 Lesser Magic Armor

Griffon (1#, 174 Pts)

1 Griffon

Shock; Beast; Flyer; Ranger; Tough/2; Warmaster

Totem (100 Pts)

1 Statue of the Aizen Anvil

Total Company Cost: 1000

Shadowhunter, I've found Scare to be a rediculously fun spell. On one side it looks kindof pointless. 2'' AOE... but if my rolls would hit those models then why not just cast fireball and kill them in the first place, instead of putting Shaken on them? Well first off, the price difference is critical. Scare is FAR cheaper, so if points are a factor, then go for scare. Secondly, by putting shaken on a pile of enemy models, it severely limits their combat effectiveness. My usual method for scare is to move my troop up with Margara behind, then when I'm ready to charge, peek Margara out from behind her troop, shoot off the scare, then charge the shaken models. Combine Dwarven MAV with lowered DV and you get a good pile of dead enemies! Any survivors have a very hard decision to make - on their activation do they rally and lose the opportunity to attack - giving me another round to beat on them before they can attack with support - or do they go ahead and attack, giving me an excellent opportunity to combine defensive strikes with an effective +2 MAV AND bane?

So essentially scare is a support spell - use it to augment the ferocity of a dwarven charge. As opposed to Fireball which is a direct damage spell, you cast and they die. Scare is the economical choice, and fireball is the shock and awe choice.

Also re: your army lists. I don't have quite enough models and so most of my lists have around 18 or so models. I've found that it is very difficult to keep up momentum with that few models, so I'd go with a list that includes more models if you can do that.

Also re: your army lists. I don't have quite enough models and so most of my lists have around 18 or so models. I've found that it is very difficult to keep up momentum with that few models, so I'd go with a list that includes more models if you can do that.

I consider 20 models at 1000 points to be a minimum. I will sometimes violate that, but only after careful consideration.

PS