Axe and Hammer Tavern (1.2)

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with some of the other posters that Dwarf bear units would be nice, but I would really like to see some Flying Pigs. Yes, little Dwarfs soaring through the sky on porkers. Big nasty European wild boar or American razorbacks would be great but a domestic style pigasus would do. I think I'm going to request this on the official figure wanted thread. I think a petition is in order, possibly a sit-in or boycott.

Dwarf Flying Pig Cavalry supporters unite.

Aaah the smell of bacon and gunpowder in the morning, there is nothing finer

Yes, edible mounts have their advantages. The mighty Thor slaughtered the magic goats that pulled his cart every evening for his men to eat and they reappeared anew every morning.

Here is a Reaper flying pig, now imagine this less humanoid, more piggy and mountlike:

http://www.reapermini.com/albums/2600s/2644_G.jpg

I was working on my Logan Battlefury and wondered who the sculptor was. So I opened the dwarf page to see the sculpter's name, and low and behold there's an addition to the dwarf roster!!

http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/dwarvesu/14325_G

Nogrin. He's a piercer.

I wonder, is he a special character or is this part of what Reaper announced recently about releasing one or two popular sculpts from an infantry pack, then releasing packs of 8ish in a blister? He looks identical to one of the three Piercer sculpts, so my guess is he's the pick of the litter, not a new character.

I also noticed that the Elves have a breaker, just the same.. named Fiara.

I agree with some of the other posters that Dwarf bear units would be nice, but I would really like to see some Flying Pigs. Yes, little Dwarfs soaring through the sky on porkers. Big nasty European wild boar or American razorbacks would be great but a domestic style pigasus would do. I think I'm going to request this on the official figure wanted thread. I think a petition is in order, possibly a sit-in or boycott.

You eat a lot of paint chips as a child? ::D:

And it's Dwarves. Just like it should be the Toronto Maple Leaves, the Kansas City Chieves, and Smurves.

And it's Dwarves. Just like it should be the Toronto Maple Leaves, the Kansas City Chieves, and Smurves.

Actually Dwarfs on pigs are much more common throughout the fantasy world than on bears. A flying pig is no stranger than say... a flying horse.

And it is not dwarve or dwarves or any of the -ve useage. It is and has been dwarf and dwarfs, dwarfish, dwarfing, dwarfed etceteras.

Here is the word dwarf's etymology.

DWARF

O.E. dweorh, from P.Gmc. *dweraz, from PIE *dhwergwhos "something tiny." The mythological sense is from Ger., 1770. The verb meaning "to render dwarfish" is from 1626; that of "to cause to look small" is from 1850. The shift of the O.E. guttural at the end of the word to modern -f is typical (cf. enough, draft); O.E. pl. dweorgas became M.E. dwarrows, later leveled down to dwarfs. The use of dwarves for the legendary race is an innovation of J.R.R. Tolkien.

On a similar line it is elfs not elves, which is another Tolkienism ::P:

Actually Dwarfs on pigs are much more common throughout the fantasy world than on bears. A flying pig is no stranger than say... a flying horse.

And it is not dwarve or dwarves or any of the -ve useage. It is and has been dwarf and dwarfs, dwarfish, dwarfing, dwarfed etceteras.

Here is the word dwarf's etymology.

DWARF

O.E. dweorh, from P.Gmc. *dweraz, from PIE *dhwergwhos "something tiny." The mythological sense is from Ger., 1770. The verb meaning "to render dwarfish" is from 1626; that of "to cause to look small" is from 1850. The shift of the O.E. guttural at the end of the word to modern -f is typical (cf. enough, draft); O.E. pl. dweorgas became M.E. dwarrows, later leveled down to dwarfs. The use of dwarves for the legendary race is an innovation of J.R.R. Tolkien.

On a similar line it is elfs not elves, which is another Tolkienism ::P:

Tolkien deliberately changed the ending to make it sound less childish. I hear there's a first printing of the Hobbit with the 'f' ending of dwarves and elves that is worth a fortune.

PS

Dwarves. Dwarfs. Potatoes. Potatos. Spuds. Whatever. Who cares?!?!? Don't be hijacking my thread people! Let's get back on track talking about armies and how best to use them to defeat our enemies! :bday:

Ok, I'll start it off. I developed just a generic 1,501 point army list. I don't know how well it will work, but it looks good on paper. :devil:

Logan Battlefury + DF + GMA

Ivar Silverfist + 6 Bandages

Grimm the Cleric (a ticked off version of Ivar :lol: ) + 6 Bandages

5 Swiftaxes

Musician

Totem of Battle

Thorvald Clawhelm

Gargram Heavyhand

4 Warriors

5 Piercers

Musician

Thorvald Clawhelm

Gargram Heavyhand

5 Warriors

Musician

Totals: 1,498 Points, 26 Models, 5 Troops, 5 Initiative Cards

By the way, has anyone used Logan in concert with Swiftaxes? I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I assume that it will be a fragile unit to shooting. :rock:

Wild Bill :blues:

Looks good, but I think it'll be in a world of hurt if someone gets lucky and takes out those two clerics quickly. If they don't, then you should mow the competition down.

Here's the 1,000 pointer that I'm currently running, and have yet to lose with:

Logrim

6 shieldmaidens

Musician

Gargram

6 piercers

Musician

Gargram

6 Warriors

Throvald

Thorvald

Totem

Simple, smash and slash army.

I usually charge a group with one Thorvald, and bring the shieldmaidens right behind. With good dice rolls, I can finish off an entire troop in one turn.

I only have 3 swifties, but for a while I was running Logan with those 3 and Durgam. Very fragile to range of any sort. I'd keep them behind my warriors and maidens until the battle started to heat up, and when the enemy brought in their heavy hitters I'd charge Logan in. The swiftaxes work great with him because they're fast enough to keep up. With support bonuses you can get his MAV 6 boosted to a MAV 11 versus any size 1 base. 13 against size 2. Assuming you can ring the opponent of course.

Logan works best against "medium-ly strong" enemies. Opponents that can withstand more than 3 hits are dicey, but not out of the question if you bring a cleric or Logrim. Something like a Warlord or Bile is bad news. Of course your Swiftaxes can help Logan finish it off with their own attacks BUT he'll most likely take hits in return, so be cautious.

Dwarves. Dwarfs. Potatoes. Potatos. Spuds. Whatever. Who cares?!?!? Don't be hijacking my thread people! Let's get back on track talking about armies and how best to use them to defeat our enemies! :bday:

Ok, I'll start it off. I developed just a generic 1,501 point army list. I don't know how well it will work, but it looks good on paper. :devil:

Logan Battlefury + DF + GMA

Ivar Silverfist + 6 Bandages

Grimm the Cleric (a ticked off version of Ivar :lol: ) + 6 Bandages

5 Swiftaxes

Musician

Totem of Battle

Thorvald Clawhelm

Gargram Heavyhand

4 Warriors

5 Piercers

Musician

Thorvald Clawhelm

Gargram Heavyhand

5 Warriors

Musician

Totals: 1,498 Points, 26 Models, 5 Troops, 5 Initiative Cards

By the way, has anyone used Logan in concert with Swiftaxes? I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I assume that it will be a fragile unit to shooting. :rock:

I don't know. If you are planning on running those swifties into battle I don't like it. Anyone with any range could cripple the troop, they'd probably get off two rounds of shots, if they get initiative before the big melee or shoot into the melee, three rounds. If you are planning on using them to sweep and try to flank after your warriors hit... then you should drop their musician because they will still be the same speed as everyone else at a double move. Change the bigger warrior troop to shieldmaidens, for two points the +1 DV + MAV is a gift. Use them as a shield to the weaker swifties as they run in as the maidens can take the arrow shots.

Here is something at 1500 I am going to try. We are playtesting the 25% merc rule. So I added mercs. If it were all dwarf troops 5 & 6 were gargram + wariors and a bear. I was in a tournament last weekend and the lack of speed, cav and decent range was evident in every game. So I worked up a company that was based around a high DV and MAV. Troops 1+2 will be the main force and draw the early action. Troops 3 & 4 will be my range and Mage Cleric Hunters. Troop 5 & 6 will be my support and flankers. Hopefully the Sisters can get behind the line to use their rogue ability.

TROOP 1

LOGRIM Battlefury + GMW GMA DF = 3MA MAV6 DV14 272

Durgam GMA mmw = 2MA MAV5 DV12 128

4 halberds 90

5 maidens 130

Musician 15

TROOP 2

Thorvald Clawhelm GMA mmw = 161

TROOP 3

Griffin

TROOP 4

Gargram Heavyhand 34

6 piercers 138

Musician 15

TROOP 5

Gundor hordtaker gma 113

4 Shadow Sisters 156

TROOP 6

Minotaur 73

Totals: 1499 Points, 27 Models, 6 Troops, 6 Initiative Cards

Fun little 400 point single troop army:

Fulumbar w/ GMA and Divine Favor

Durgam w/ GMA

Warrior

2x Swiftaxes

2x Piercers

3x Halberds, 1w/ Musician

It's got speed, range, some good armor, and some exceptional MAV for such a low point game. The idea is to keep all 3 halberds behind Fulumbar, Durgam and the Warrior to take advantage of Trencher. The piercers do their thing and the Swiftaxes wait in the wings or lend support as needed.

Fun little 400 point single troop army:

Fulumbar w/ GMA and Divine Favor

Durgam w/ GMA

Warrior

2x Swiftaxes

2x Piercers

3x Halberds, 1w/ Musician

It's got speed, range, some good armor, and some exceptional MAV for such a low point game. The idea is to keep all 3 halberds behind Fulumbar, Durgam and the Warrior to take advantage of Trencher. The piercers do their thing and the Swiftaxes wait in the wings or lend support as needed.

Interesting idea. I bet that makes for fun demo games. You have a little of everything except magic. Nice. I like it! ::):