Axe and Hammer Tavern (1.2)

You have a little of everything except magic.

Durgam with his upgrade costs 98 points. You could definately swap him out for Margara and some spells. Or Ivar for that matter - not that his spells would be a huge boon, since there'd only be the warrior, himself and Fulumbar to heal.. but I guess some Blesses would be good, and maybe even a hold (hold would be devestating in a 400 point game I bet!). Hmm ::D:

How about this one to be a counter 400 pt army:

Logrim w/ bless

Margara w/ ice

6 Maidens w/ music

2 Piercers

397 points... Less point value, but my money would be on the Logrim force any day over the Fulumbar force as is, though if you gave the Fulumbar force Ivar with a hold and a bless it'd even the score quite a bit...

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd actually like to play in a tournament with a progressive bounty point system that started with a 400 point company. Where in addition to points for models killed and/or looted there be 500 points of treasure. At the end of each round you get to keep your live models and rebuild with recruits bought with your bounty points. You'd get 15 minutes to figure your bounty and rebuild.

Freya MMW GMA DF = 147,

2 maidens = 52

Deepmug = 68

Thorvald GMA 131

5 models

2 cards

Gargram 34

6 x maidens 156 190

Gargram 34

3 x warriors 72 106

Gargram 34

3 x piercers 69 103

16 models

3 cards

I'd actually like to play in a tournament with a progressive bounty point system that started with a 400 point company. Where in addition to points for models killed and/or looted there be 500 points of treasure. At the end of each round you get to keep your live models and rebuild with recruits bought with your bounty points. You'd get 15 minutes to figure your bounty and rebuild.

Freya MMW GMA DF = 147,

2 maidens = 52

Deepmug = 68

Thorvald GMA 131

5 models

2 cards

Gargram 34

6 x maidens 156 190

Gargram 34

3 x warriors 72 106

Gargram 34

3 x piercers 69 103

16 models

3 cards

Freya has no elite slot. Bring Fulumbar instead.

That second army is everything I find boring in Warlord: cheapest sgt, as many cheap models as possible, swarm. Undeniably effective, but I'm quite tired of seeing it.

PS

Aw Storm, be nice :P You're just jealous that your Overlord leaders are twice as good AND twice as expensive :P

--

Here's a link to another thread:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry350501

There's a link to a new dwarf model! A High Priest, slated for release this month. There will be great rejoicing if this is competition for Balthon :) Heck even if he has CP 6 I'd be happy to spend the 15 points to boost that. Fun little familiar too.

Cleric army anybody? I'm thinking Logrim, Ivar, High Priest, hey why not another Ivar, if the build total's high enough that is. Pack in multitracked models and nothing but tough infantry. Let the attrition begin!

Gargram 34

6 x maidens 156 190

Gargram 34

3 x warriors 72 106

Gargram 34

3 x piercers 69 103

16 models

3 cards

If I remember correctly, you can't take 3 sgts without having a captain around as well. That means that I don't think your army is legal. I'm sorry. ::(:

Now, I like this 400 Point army better:

Logan Battlefury 306 Points

5 Dwarven Halberdiers @ 18 Points each

Total: 396 Points, 1 Troop, 1 Initiative Card, 6 Models.

:devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

Its a decent concept, but not very good in actual implementation. At least not for a tourney. Cause everyone wants to feel like they have a chance to win every game they start.

Now, for a personal group league, multi-session scenario, or that kind of aspect, your idea works fine.

As a one shot tournament, I don't think it would work out so well as Stubb mentioned previously. In a tournament, you're going to very likely see someone completely eliminated unless your time periods are unrealistically short, especially with only 400 points, and that means people will be competely unable to advance to a later round due to total lack of models and loot, and you will have someone continually wracking up all the extra loot since they wouldn't face an opponent, or maybe a single model or two in the next round.

However, what you have is a really generalized description of how the campaign system work. If you wanted, you could run a campaign over a course several months, in a sort of grand tournament. That may be more viable. In the current campaign system, there is a significant degree of paperwork involved and there is a giant power creep around turn 3-4.

As a one shot tournament, I don't think it would work out so well as Stubb mentioned previously. In a tournament, you're going to very likely see someone completely eliminated unless your time periods are unrealistically short, especially with only 400 points, and that means people will be competely unable to advance to a later round due to total lack of models and loot, and you will have someone continually wracking up all the extra loot since they wouldn't face an opponent, or maybe a single model or two in the next round.

However, what you have is a really generalized description of how the campaign system work. If you wanted, you could run a campaign over a course several months, in a sort of grand tournament. That may be more viable. In the current campaign system, there is a significant degree of paperwork involved and there is a giant power creep around turn 3-4.

A campaign would be nice but they're hard to do with peoples schedules constantly changing.

I personally wouldn't care if it was a single elimination tournament, although I know others may.

Gargram 34

6 x maidens 156 190

Gargram 34

3 x warriors 72 106

Gargram 34

3 x piercers 69 103

16 models

3 cards

If I remember correctly, you can't take 3 sgts without having a captain around as well. That means that I don't think your army is legal. I'm sorry. ::(:

Now, I like this 400 Point army better:

Logan Battlefury 306 Points

5 Dwarven Halberdiers @ 18 Points each

Total: 396 Points, 1 Troop, 1 Initiative Card, 6 Models.

:devil:

Fulumbar 79

4 x maidens 104 183

Gargram 34

3 x warriors 72 106

Gargram 34

3 x piercers 69 103

13 models

3 cards

I play Logan ,but I personally couldn't win with your troop. I would play a tiny troop with a tank.

Logrim GMW GMA DF 127 + 155 = 282

4 maidens 104

5 models

1 card

Logrim GMW GMA DF 127 + 155 = 282

4 maidens 104

5 models

1 card

Just for giggles, since you have 14 points left over, you could give your "army" a Standard Bearer. :lol:

Or change the maidens out for warriors, and then that would leave 22 points, just enough for one swiftaxe. :lol:

Here's a 400 point army that I would realistically field:

Gargram Heavyhand 34 pts.

4 Shieldmaidens @ 26 pts. ea.

5 Piercers @ 23 pts. ea.

Musician

Thorvald Clawhelm 101 pts.

Greater Magic Armor 30 pts.

Assuming I did the math right, thats 399 points, 2 troops, 11 models! ::):

Here's one I like to call "Bear Wolves of Taltos". Only played it once, but man, was it effective.

I. Fulumbar w/GMA

9x Warriors w/ musician

II. Gargram

6x Piercers w/ musician

III. Thorvald

IV. Thorvald

V. Freya w/ DF

9x Shieldmaidens w/ musician

VI. Artemis w/ IP

5x Lupine Ragers

Totem (which I only used for the dwarves, since this rule hasn't been clarified)

Hello fellow stout warriors! I'm new to the forums as well as the game. I just purchased my first three reaper/warlord figures this past weekend. I had fortune to witness a warlord tourny at a local gaming store and after a demo game with a black lighting fellow later on, I'm convinced I've found my new fantasy miniature war game.

I come from a warhammer background and am excited by the simplicity of the warlord R.A.G.E. system. Simple, yet ripe for customization in terms of army selection and what-not. I got my mitts on the core rules set and some dwarf minis. Another bonus is the inexpensive models that are, in most cases, superior to minis found in other lines.

I've posted to not only introduce myself but to also ask some questions:

1) How strict is WYSIWYG in this rules set? Say, for instance, I would like to run some shield maidens, but I don't like the official shield maiden figs. Could I run regular dwarven warriors that "count as" shield maidens? Or would some conversion work/special paint jobs be needed to set them apart from their regular warrior brethren. If acceptable I would make any model/stat swapping clear to my opponent.

2) My second question is related to the first. For named characters such as leaders, elites, ect. Say I want to use the stat line for Fulumbar Ironhammer, the generic captain for the dwarves. As in my first question, would it be okay for me to proxy another miniture for his? Say, a Dark Heaven Legends model? How about another miniature from the warlord line? Could one proxy the King Thorgram Grimsteel for Fulumbar's stat line? The king is a great miniature, but I can't see using his actual stats in a game.

3) What do you guys use for musicians/standard bearers? The bonus to dwarven musicians may be too good for me to pass up and I was interested in what some of you veterans used.

4) I've been floating around this thread and have seen many sample army lists. One thing I note is that the magical weapon/armor upgrades are far and few between. Is taking a souped up leader not a good idea? Do numbers win games in this rules set? Can I make a smaller, more "heroic" force work on the battle field? I'm not too concerned with winning, per se, but I'd like to put up a good fight and have fun doing so.

5) I sometimes see talk of different "versions" for data cards. How do I know which data card is most current or which one to use? Where do I find the newer data cards and such? If these cards are to be found on the web is it acceptable for me to print them out for use in games, or do I have to purchase them somewhere?

Thanks for taking the time to review (and answer my questions if your so inclined) my post. I apologize for asking any obvious questions, but please be kind, I am just starting out.

Thank you for your time. Oh yeah, this rounds on me, the noobie. Barkeep get everyone in here a drink! *whisper * serve the good stuff to those that answer my questions :;):

Hello fellow stout warriors! I'm new to the forums as well as the game. I just purchased my first three reaper/warlord figures this past weekend. I had fortune to witness a warlord tourny at a local gaming store and after a demo game with a black lighting fellow later on, I'm convinced I've found my new fantasy miniature war game.

Seeing your location listed, I am assuming you saw our tourney. This is Stubbdog. I played in that tourney. Glad you liked it and welcome a board. We are not gathering this Wednesday night that I know of, but next week will be back to regular schedule of every Wednesday night at that Gamewyze there at Vista Ridge Mall. Hope to see you there.

1) How strict is WYSIWYG in this rules set?

General rule of thumb is proxies are fine, as long as people have a decent idea of who they represent. Clear labeling of some sort helps. Only official ruling on this is, there are 3 tourneys per year that proxies are not allowed (ReaperCon, GenCon, Origins).

2) As in my first question, would it be okay for me to proxy another miniture for his? Say, a Dark Heaven Legends model? How about another miniature from the warlord line?

Again, as long as your opponent is well informed and/or the miniature is labeled, this is ok. Many people use this thinking whilst they build up their armies. I for one dont have every miniature that Reaper puts out so I do have to poxy every now and then. I tend to put little stickers on my proxied with "my name is...." type labels..

3) What do you guys use for musicians/standard bearers? The bonus to dwarven musicians may be too good for me to pass up and I was interested in what some of you veterans used.

Well, personally, I use something like a rubber band tied around the mini somewhere to note it beign different. But, Reaper does have musician and standard bearer miniatures out I think for every major faction now.

4) I've been floating around this thread and have seen many sample army lists. One thing I note is that the magical weapon/armor upgrades are far and few between. Is taking a souped up leader not a good idea? Do numbers win games in this rules set?

There is a good debate about that going on right now as a matter of fact. For the most part, having one or two super models is fine, but you do have to balance out with numbers in some form or fashion. The basic reason is a perfect 10 always hits (even if you have to roll a 16 on a 10 sided dice). So, there is a point where it does not matter how much you load one character up, if someone else has 10 guys to roll at you, chances are one or more of those 10 are gonna roll that magic number.

5) I sometimes see talk of different "versions" for data cards. How do I know which data card is most current or which one to use? Where do I find the newer data cards and such? If these cards are to be found on the web is it acceptable for me to print them out for use in games, or do I have to purchase them somewhere?

www.reapergames.com

and yes you can print them out all you want. Reaper makes them available on the web just for that reason.