Axe and Hammer Tavern (1.2)

Welcome aboard! Glad to see you picked the right faction ::D:

You come from Warlord.. I come from Clix games. Warlord is the happy medium. Simple enough to be easy to figure out, yet complicated enough to keep you interested. The rules are versatile enough to allow you a wide variety of play options, from big games to little games, from scenarios to "kill-em'all" type games. I read alot of rule sets, and this, in my opinion, is either best or very close to the best out there for skirmish rules.

Stubbdog has very good answers. I won't repeat them :) But I do think they're good. I'll include some other stuff though.

3) I've cut pipe cleaners into little bits, bent them into circular donuts that I loop over weapons and heads to signify musicians. For standard bearers, I use the same donut idea to go over a head, but I have a little half inch flag pole sticking up with a little flag (all made of pipe cleaner). It's kinda ugly, but it's functional, and I don't have any drums or trumpets super glued to my minis for battles that I choose not to use musicians for. You're right that March to the Pipes makes musicians a very good idea for dwarves - especially since we're so slow otherwise. Musicians are a must with Warriors and Swiftaxes - granting them a 10 and 11 inch charge, respectively! That, by the way, is close to a game's best for infantry and is very useful in battle. Maidens also benefit from musicians as they have slow speed and no SA's to make them quicker when charging, and Piercers sometimes benefit from music... you'll have to feel your way along on that and see what you like.

4) This will depend greatly on the local gaming scene. Large armies often do very well, and so some groups tend to focus on that style. If that's the case, then if you trick out a very small force with gear you're gonna get slammed, and hard. I'm sure there's local groups who like to play with more gear. I know that I find that more interesting. A happy medium is probably best, where you have several troops with lots of models, and then a few models with higher stats (and higher cost too). To answer your direct question, yes, you can "make" a more heroic force work on the battlefield. But you'll have your work cut out for you, especially as a new player facing veterans. My advice would be to start out with numbers and experiment with solos and elites so you can get a feel for them.. or ask a veteran for a heroic type force just to try it out.

4.5) Opinions vary widely on King Thorgram. My own personal thought is people would like him better if they used him more often, so don't be afraid of his huge point cost. Try to play him at 1500 point battles at the minimum though, he's not really designed to be played in smaller games.

My own advice is to ask questions alot. You learn alot of tricks that way. And don't necessarily ask veteran opponents to go easy on you. Storminator knocked me down, picked me up and knocked me down again with Ymrilix a couple weeks after I started playing. That was the game I learned about troop size, support, warmaster, teleport, guarding your mage... Yeah I learned alot that game, and I got smashed in it. Sometimes you learn best by bitter defeat :P

Anyways I probably always make my posts too long :\ Hope some of it's helpful!

p.s. get Freya :D

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stubb and JD already did a great job answering. Just to add a bit more:

The proxy rule (as of Gen Con 2006) is that proxies are not allowed at the Big 3 (RCon, GenCon, Origins).

UNLESS the model was released within 90 days of the event. They will put a list of the models that are not available for proxy right around the 90 day limit. All rules are subject to change.

For local tournaments, Proxies are at the discretion of the event coordinator. You will find that most folks are pretty reasonable about this, provided your figures make sense and can be clearly identified as different models. Don't field Dingo Appledimple (halfling) and try to claim he is the Hill Giant. Do not field 2 models that are virtually identical, tell me they are two different models, and then lose track of which is which yourself during the event. Try to replace the existing model with one that is similar enough to the original that it avoids confusion. e.g. If you are proxying a breaker, try to have the proxy have a big 2 handed weapon. If you proxy an archer, use a model with a bow, etc. It's not a requirement, but it is common courtesy to your fellow players.

Events that do not allow proxies will usually state as such, since no-proxy tends to be the exception.

Conversions are legal for Models, even in the big 3. Musicians and Standard bearers are often the most commonly converted figures. There is a Musical Instrument pack in the DHL line, and a number of banners are available for purchase through the Boneyard that can be used as Standards. A number of armies now have a Standard bearer/Musician pack that comes with 2 grunts, 1 with standard, 1 with instrument, AND an extra banner and instrument for those that prefer their own conversions.

Pipe cleaners, markings on the base, etc are all also fine for marking Bearers and Musicians, just make sure the marks are clearly visible and can be differentiated from each other.

Welcome to both the boards and the game. My condolensces on choosing Dwarfs. Now you have to listen to JD and Wildbill all the time ::P: (Don't worry, they're good guys, I'm just teasing them). Don't apologize for asking questions. That's part of why we have this Forum to help out the new players. If you don't ask, how will you learn? A lot of your questions may have been asked already, so a good option is to also check out the Search Feature at the upper right of your window to see if it's already been asked before.

My condolensces on choosing Dwarfs. Now you have to listen to JD and Wildbill all the time ::P:

That's Reven heresy! Get him boys! :ph34r:

Wait, he plays Crusaders too :blink:

ok, in that case,

"Kill the men, kill the orcs,

save the gold for ourselves!"

Nevermind, that only works with men and elves :wacko:

My condolensces on choosing Dwarfs. Now you have to listen to JD and Wildbill all the time ::P:

That's Reven heresy! Get him boys! :ph34r:

Wait, he plays Crusaders too :blink:

ok, in that case,

"Kill the men, kill the orcs,

save the gold for ourselves!"

Nevermind, that only works with men and elves :wacko:

Yeah, don't listen to the e-vile Qwyksilver! He's just jealous and trying to lead you over the Dark Side! :bday::devil::lol::wub:

Welcome to boards!! ::):

If you read through the Dwarves listing here, you should see several army lists posted by various people (including myself). Feel free to borrow and manipulate as you will. We wouldn't have posted them otherwise. ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

Pardon me if I break in:

I'm thinking about starting Dwarves, and have picked up Freya and Margara to that end. Freya will probably end up leading some Dwarf Warriors, leaving room for a troop of archers (or whatever they're called) later.

But there seems to be a lot of debate about good Dwarf captains/Warlords, because they're so expensive. With that said, could I take a Mercenary captain? I'm specifically thinking about Sigurd, backed up by some plain Merc Grunts. Of course I'd probably need a 500-point army (minimum) to keep this troop under 25% of my points.

Thoughts? :upside:

Pardon me if I break in:

I'm thinking about starting Dwarves, and have picked up Freya and Margara to that end. Freya will probably end up leading some Dwarf Warriors, leaving room for a troop of archers (or whatever they're called) later.

But there seems to be a lot of debate about good Dwarf captains/Warlords, because they're so expensive. With that said, could I take a Mercenary captain? I'm specifically thinking about Sigurd, backed up by some plain Merc Grunts. Of course I'd probably need a 500-point army (minimum) to keep this troop under 25% of my points.

Thoughts? :upside:

Don't rule out Fulumbar!! He's only 79 points, and can take an elite. That's always good too. ::):

Logrim is a tank and a half. Granted, he is 127 points, but trust me: he is worth every penny. I was playing a 1,501 point battle vs the Reptus where I had both Logan and Logrim in my army. He wasn't scared of Logan; he was scared of Logrim!! :lol:

It's only the warlords that I have complained about. I won't reiterate all of that here. I've said my piece. ::):

If you decided to start mixing Merc captains and the like with the Dwarven grunts, then you would be fielding a Freelance army. There is nothing wrong with that; I've considered doing so many times. ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

If you decided to start mixing Merc captains and the like with the Dwarven grunts, then you would be fielding a Freelance army. There is nothing wrong with that; I've considered doing so many times. ^_^

Well, I wasn't thinking of mixing them in the same troop. But Sigurd's low cost would help me cram more models in the list, which seems to be a good thing. Besides, gold-greedy Dwarf hordes might like hiring a disposable leader (and his bodyguards) "on the cheap." ^_^

Of course, if that's not legal... Logrim or Fulumbar would do. But you can't beat Sigurd's sculpt! :wub:

Some find the Dwarf Warlords too expensive (Wildbill's right, we've all had that out to no end :P enough of it! haha), but I'm not aware of anybody who takes exception to our Captains and Sgts. Freya is probably the best... her and Logrim. Warmaster and great DV, can't argue with that! Gargram and Fulumbar are very similar except Fulumbar has another track, is a Cpt, and has an elite slot. 9 times out of 10 I'll put Logrim in over chosing Fulumbar, but you pay for it, for sure.

I like matching my leaders to grunt types. Fulumbar and Gargram have similar SA's to Warriors so I usually have them lead the warriors. Thorgram, Freya and Logrim have similar SA's and movement to Shieldmaidens so I find myself using them in combination. Logan runs like a Swiftaxe and so gets paired with them frequently. That way the whole troop can act in concert and none of them have to double move to "keep up" when the troop charges into battle.

Halberds move like swiftaxes but you want them in a troop with Trencher models (read both the Reach and Trencher SA and you'll see that they're made to go together). Since Halberds aren't Adepts, you might consider putting one Halberd behind each of your leaders just to give them a bit of boosted MAV to help you crack high DV targets. Think of Freya backed by a pair of Halberds! 6 MAV twice! And the same on Defensive strikes! And the total package is less than 120 points.

Hopefully an idea or two in there helps you pick your first purchases. Since you have Margara (btw, excellent model!) you definately need a Captain so you can get her on the field. Mages can be difficult to get the hang of... don't be dismayed by failures with your mage, keep learning. In the right situations a mage can be very devestating!

And while we're on advice, here's one piece that I know is good but often don't follow through with on the battlefield: Do not overextend your solos! Keep them with the main fighting force so they don't get picked off alone.

Some find the Dwarf Warlords too expensive

Perhaps the new Dwarf High Cleric Warlord, Herrick, will be cheaper?

Dwarf High Cleric Warlord

Whoa! Did they just add that he was a warlord? Or did I completely miss that the other 20,043 times I've drooled over the model?

No doubt about a cleric warlord being cheaper. Across the board caster warlords cost less (w/o spells of course, all bets are off when you start throwing spells on).

Herrick.. that's funny. There's a guy at my church named Herrick who you might call a cleric (obviously not in the warlord sense). Too bad the sculpt doesn't look anything like him :lol: :P Funny coincidence though!

Whoa! Did they just add that he was a warlord? Or did I completely miss that the other 20,043 times I've drooled over the model?

I think they did, like yourself I've been looking at it occasionally (now where the wee book carrier gone?) and either this morning (GMT) or yesterday, the words "warlord" have appeared; but I'm not exactly sure.

As yet his stats haven't appeared on the data cards.

Probably won't see stats until the model is actually released. We'll see a part number then too, which is when you call the FLGS frantically to make sure one is comming :)

The book carrier.. sure hope that comes as part of the package! I've never purchased a mage as a single blister, but all the mages that come as part of an army box have familiars, so hopefully this guy will come with one too. This familiar should be like the Gruesome Familiar, only very different. It should be called Helpless Familiar and come with the SA You Dirty Jerk, where if an enemy kills it you get to say in your most demeaning voice "You dirty jerk" to your opponent, and it doesn't count as poor sportsmanship. After all, who kills children? :P Especially ones with bright futures as this one obviously does, what with the huge book to study and all.

Your suggestions have been great thus far! Let me put forth a basic 400-point army for consideration by y'all in the know.

Troop 1:

Fulumbar Ironhammer

Margara Firetongue

3 Warriors

1 Halberdier

[212 points]

Troop 2:

Freya Fangbreaker

3 Shieldmaidens

1 Halberdier

[173 points]

The total right now is 385... hopefully I can do something useful for Margara with those last 15 points. Or I could build toward a 500-point list, swapping Fulumbar for Logrim and giving them spells & goodies.

Thoughts? ::):

Troop 1:

Fulumbar Ironhammer

Margara Firetongue

3 Warriors

1 Halberdier

[212 points]

Troop 2:

Freya Fangbreaker

3 Shieldmaidens

1 Halberdier

[173 points]

I like how this looks! 1 pack each of warriors, maidens, and halberds gets you enough soldiers with one left over, so it's not even going to be terribly expensive to build up to this force. Fulumbar and especially Freya are gonna be allstars in that small of a game, even more so with Halberds behind them. Nobody sees MAV 5 in 400 points very often! Especially on defensive strikes!! As for spells: With 15 points you're kindof in a jamb. Here's two ideas: Ice Shard and Fear or Scare and Fear. Iceshard allows you to attack a single model from up to 18 inches away, so it's the standard "good" spell. Fear allows you to put a shaken model on a model up to 24 inches away. In a 400 point battle that range is kinda excessive. But you could scare a leader or solo with a high DV and then charge them, hoping for an easy hit. Scare works the same as Fear but hits everything within 2 inches of your target (either a spot or an enemy model) and has 18 inch range. Scare actually might be your best bet! If your enemy is bunched up in a group you can scare all of them, then send your warriors and Fulumbar in to take them down. This can be very effective.

Also don't discount Margara's Rogue abilities. She's no great shakes of a warrior, but when she casts her last spell, you may as well do something with her, right? Rogue gives you a few extra options along those lines.

Don't be so sure about the High Cleric warlord stats not being released... they are up now, and he's 201 points. With a DV of 11 and a MAV of 5, I don't think you'll be too disappointed in his ability to hold his own in melee either, nevermind that he's a Cleric 3/12, Tough/4, and Warmaster (plus some other fun abilities like Monster Slayer).

~v