Axe and Hammer Tavern (1.2)

Don't be so sure about the High Cleric warlord stats not being released... they are up now, and he's 201 points. With a DV of 11 and a MAV of 5, I don't think you'll be too disappointed in his ability to hold his own in melee either, nevermind that he's a Cleric 3/12, Tough/4, and Warmaster (plus some other fun abilities like Monster Slayer).

~v

//////////////// FLOORED!///////////// :wow::wow::wow:

Well Reaper... you're gonna see a LOT of happy dwarves running around! And at 201 points! I'm besides myself. I'm speechless. I'm trying to come up with something intelligent to say but my brain's all numb and tingly. Maybe I'll have something later.

::)::B):^_^

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a ton for all the helpfull replys. Many thanks. I've got my first batch (3) of dwarves done now. Next purchase I think I'll make will be the starter box. All those nice warriors, the king, and that nice mage gal...what a deal! I can't wait to get some more minis painted and have a few games under my belt.

I just checked out the stats on the new warlord high cleric guy. Holy cow he's awesome! And such a bargain to boot. I think I may have found my warlord of choice. Bobby Jackson did a supreme job with the sculpt as well, I can wait to get my hands on the model. It seems as if some of the newer dwarves being releashed have been sculpted by people other than Werner Klocke. I've got no beef with this, as the newer dwarves look great. But Klocke did an awesome job with what seemed to be the first batch of dwarves.

Part of the reason I decided to pick up the game was the Klocke sculpts. Again, let me reinstate that each and every mini reaper puts out is awesome, but I sure hope that Mr. Klocke will be adding more of his talent to the dwarf line in the future.

Thanks again for the helpful responses! I hope to have an army up-and-running (hopefull they will do more fighting and not so much running) soon.

I think we may have just have witnessed the death of the Dwarf thread. Now that they have a more price efficient warlord what will they .......ummm discuss? ::P:

Uppity pointy ears, a lack of bearriders and Werner Klocke hasn't as of yet designed any of the next generation dwarves. Challenging a dwarf to grumble is like challenging a fish to swim. Grumble, drink alcohol and smack orcs around, it’s what we do. ::P:

Hubba hubba!

201 points, 5 Wounds, Cleric 3/12 and DV 11.

That is friggin' awesome.

It's been a long time since I've played, but Cleric 3 .. doesn't that mean we now get to Teleport? Like say .. a certain mean bear rider?

I think locally I'll stick to use Ivar for the model though. I prefer it to Herrick.

Here's an initial stab at a Herryk Aesir army. Let's say 1500 pts. Or 1501 if you want..

---Herryk Aesir (Teleport, Hold, Cure, Bandage, +1CP), 4 Shieldmaidens, 2 Warriors, Durgam Deepmug

---Griffon

---Fulumbar Ironhammer, Ivar Silverfist (3x Bandage, +1CP), 6 Warriors

---Thorvald Clawhelm

---Gargram Heavyhands, 5 Warriors, 3 Piercers

---Thorvald Clawhelm

1500pts, 6 troops+Tactician, 28 models.

The idea of the army is that with two clerics you'll have plenty of healing to keep the bears and the griffon going. It also plays with Teleport which is a new concept to us Dwarvies :)

Is 28 models a good number for a 1501 list? Seems sorta small.

And shame on you for not having Musicians in there.

::D:

I don't think that it is particularly small. Jim is fielding three tank solos, two elites, as well as a warlord. I think 28 models is a good number to have considering. ^_^

Hmmm...since I own all of those models (Herryk forthcoming! :upside: ) it looks like I am going to have to try out my new warlord...soon... :lol:

Wild Bill :blues:

I've never played at that level before, so I was just curious. Particuarly since my 1000pt list has been quite effective at 23 models. But after putting a list together last night, funny enough I came out to around 28 models as well at that level.

I'm not particularly fond of the Griffon, though I do want to use him simply for looks. If I'm going to bring an "A" list though, for the points I'd rather get another Bear Rider and beef him up a bit.

I have my own 1501pt Herryck list being tweaked right now and I'll post it soon.

I've never played at that level before, so I was just curious. Particuarly since my 1000pt list has been quite effective at 23 models. But after putting a list together last night, funny enough I came out to around 28 models as well at that level.

I'm not particularly fond of the Griffon, though I do want to use him simply for looks. If I'm going to bring an "A" list though, for the points I'd rather get another Bear Rider and beef him up a bit.

I have my own 1501pt Herryck list being tweaked right now and I'll post it soon.

Now that Dwarves can Teleport, the Griffon and the Bear can arrive to fight in the same turn, which greatly increases the combat effectiveness of both.

PS

I will admit to feeling the same way about the Griffon. The first few times I fielded him were less than successful. It was one of those "He's a tank and can kill half the army by himself. Charge!" kinda things. Whoops. ^_^

Now that I have played with the Griffon more, while he can harass an enemy mage or go after those pesky archers, what I have discovered is the intimidation factor with him. A lot of players will immediately spend a lot of their turn trying to take out of the Griffon. That's ok by me! While they are concentrating on him, the rest of my army is swooping in to clean house. Then, if the Griffon is still fight-worthy, he'll also swoop and exact revenge! :lol:

My problems with using the griffon:

1) Over-extension. I tend to zoom far away with the Griffon, so when he gets into trouble I can't help him. This is especially bad if there's an entire enemy troop that will end up having nothing better to do than to charge the Griffon.

2) Lack of running away. I also tend to leave the Griffon in a disadvantageous situation too long. Something with movement like that really should be running away if the heat gets turned up too much. Now.. a soldier or two, no sweat. An entire troop... yikes, get to running!

I try to keep those two factors in mind when I use the Griffon.

I do best with my Griffon when I use him to guard a flank. In a couple games the enemy has had cavalry models trying to sneak in to attack my archers and warlord and whatnot. I've tried to keep the Griffon till last for deployment, then I ranger him so that when the enemy advances with their cavalry I'm in good position to swoop in and attack them. That's worked fairly well. Sometimes I'll deploy him to one side, ranger him in, then double move him to the other side of the board. From there you're usually within charge range of something the enemy was *trying* to protect. I've had bad dice luck with that trick, but mathematically it was a good move. Dang luck >.>

Is 28 models a good number for a 1501 list? Seems sorta small.

And shame on you for not having Musicians in there.

::D:

I don't think that it is particularly small. Jim is fielding three tank solos, two elites, as well as a warlord. I think 28 models is a good number to have considering. ^_^

Hmmm...since I own all of those models (Herryk forthcoming! :upside: ) it looks like I am going to have to try out my new warlord...soon... :lol:

Me too . I'll have to give it a try this Sunday . :B):

Just picked up my Herryk this evening. He looks great in person. I'm very impressed by the Anne Foerster paint job on his card. It's like she's a pro or something!

No small dwarf child Familiar. Tis a shame.

More a shame is that my buddy declined a challenge :) I was gonna give Herryk a christening battle, but it's not to be I guess. Hopefully soon!

Does anybody remember the specifics of Monster Slayer? If it's in the 2nd printing then I'm blind. +1 vs. beasts, large/giant bases, right?