Axe and Hammer Tavern (1.2)

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

**Sigh** Alas, it was not meant to be last night. :down:

I must have pi$$ed off the dice gawds or something, because I rolled horrible. Granted, my opponent didn't do much better, but it was enough. :down:

Wild Bill :blues:

It's obvious what the problem is, you didn't include Freya in you list. You need her and her girls so they can go shopping for new lizard skin purses. ::D:

Ok. Since it is a slow work day, I decided to go ahead and retool my army. I am going forth using models I rarely use, since I don't care for them much. But, we'll see how they work. ^_^

Herryk + DF + GMA + 2 Searing Pain + 1 Dispel + 3 Bandage

Margara + GME + 2 Dispel + 1 Firestorm + 3 Ice Shard

Durgam + GMA

8 Shieldmaidens

Musician

Totem of Battle

Thorvald + GMA + MMP

Gargram

1 Warrior

6 Piercers

Musician

Snorri + GMA

Totals: 1,498 Points, 21 Models, 4 Troops, 5 Init Cards

You'll notice I am a little model light in this build. That is not a typical build for me, so I am attempting to stretch my wings a little. :upside:

I haven't really used Snorri much, so I thought I could use him as a potential mage killer or maybe plink off a pesky archer or two. Then, if I get desperate, use his Rogue ability to attempt to stab someone in the back! :devil:

Yay Snorri! Just make sure you be very careful with him. Cavalry owns him... keep him out of charge range of infantry too.

And for the sake of the dwarves don't play him like I do if you face Crusaders! That stinking Snorri with his low DV and his Dis 3 has turned his face against the Dwarves more times than I care to mention! haha

Ok, so I got bored at work the other day (when isn't that news? :lol: ) and thought to myself "Self, I wonder if I can make a 1,501 point army using all 4 elites and all 3 solos?" Of course, I answered myself "Yes you can!" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I call this my Megaforce:

Herryk Aesir + 2 Searing Pain

Durgam Deepmug

Ivar Silverfist + 2 Bandage

5 Shieldmaidens

Thorvald Clawhelm

Fulumbar Ironhammer

Margara Firetongue + 2 Ice Shard + 1 Fear

5 Warriors

Snorri Oathbreaker

Logrim Battlefury

Kara Foehunter

5 Piercers

Griffon

Totals: 1,500 Points, 25 Models, 6 Troops, 7 Init Cards, 2 Spies

Despite my success in creating this army, against a typically created army, I would get my butt kicked. Or so I assume. What you can do (if you want to try something different) is to make your opponent make a list along the same guidelines. One restriction I put upon myself was that I could not use models that were not ReaperCon legal. Why? Well, I only own one Fulumbar model. If I take multiples of him, I'll use a DHL dwarf. So, I had to use Logrim. Maybe you can place a restriction such that you can't take more than one of any model, excluding grunts and adepts. Normal rules apply for them. Then, I think this army can kick some butt. :devil:

I think that army looks great! And I have all the models so I just might try it. Don't have the rule for Searing Pain but I'll figure something else out for those points I guess.

I'd put Durgam in with Fulumbar and the Warriors, and I'd put the Piercers with Herryk and the Maidens with Logrim. I'd probably use the Searing Pain points on Bandages to keep the Griffon, Bear, Herryk and Logrim on their feet. But that's just me. And not having the Searing Pain ability, I have no clue what it is, so maybe if I knew what it was I'd take Searing Pain :D

I think that army looks great! And I have all the models so I just might try it. Don't have the rule for Searing Pain but I'll figure something else out for those points I guess.

I'd put Durgam in with Fulumbar and the Warriors, and I'd put the Piercers with Herryk and the Maidens with Logrim. I'd probably use the Searing Pain points on Bandages to keep the Griffon, Bear, Herryk and Logrim on their feet. But that's just me. And not having the Searing Pain ability, I have no clue what it is, so maybe if I knew what it was I'd take Searing Pain :D

My first thought was "stop buying those Searing Pains!"

You have few models, but a lot of them are serious butt-kickers. Get Bandages, and heal those boys up!

If I were to mix up the troops, I'd say put the mage with the Piercers, and split the clerics up. That way you have the deadly Magic/Archery combo, and healing in two activations.

Then bump the game to 1501 to force the Warlord, and you're golden!

PS

My first thought was "stop buying those Searing Pains!"

You have few models, but a lot of them are serious butt-kickers. Get Bandages, and heal those boys up!

If I were to mix up the troops, I'd say put the mage with the Piercers, and split the clerics up. That way you have the deadly Magic/Archery combo, and healing in two activations.

Then bump the game to 1501 to force the Warlord, and you're golden!

PS

My army was supposed to be 1,501 points, but I couldn't figure out how to get one extra point in there. ^_^

Searing Pain is a new Overlord generic cleric spell that has a 12" range and does 1 point of damage. I guess I could just substitute for 3 Bandages instead. :devil:

That's cool about mixing up the units. I was just trying to get a little bit of everything out there, and wasn't too concerned with the troop composition. Those are some interesting ideas from both you guys (Stormy and Jim!). ::):

My army was supposed to be 1,501 points, but I couldn't figure out how to get one extra point in there. ^_^

Just because your army is 1500, does not mean you cannot state the game is a 1501 limit and require warlords. I've played 1499 armies in the past because I couldn't tweak out the extra two points, or didn't want to chance a model out for another.

The point limit is the MAXIMUM.

Hell, you could be a total fool and field only 1000 points for a 1501 game. You'd get pounded unless you opponent 1) never played before, 2) suffered a major stroke seconds before the game, 3) has been cursed by the Dice Gods. Iit's still legal, just not smart.

The point limit is the MAXIMUM.

Hell, you could be a total fool and field only 1000 points for a 1501 game. You'd get pounded unless you opponent 1) never played before, 2) suffered a major stroke seconds before the game, 3) has been cursed by the Dice Gods. Iit's still legal, just not smart.

This happened at ReaperCon. Someone put one of their troops into the paint contest, so when the next round came about, 500 points of painted models didn't make the table. :lol:

PS

More cinematic, which is the purpose of the auto-hit as well.

I always thought that the auto hit was there so that you could kill otherwise unkillable models. Take Uru, he has an uber high defense. Without the possibility of hitting him with a ten, it could easily take a 4 or 5 model pile up for it to even be possible, much less likely, to hurt him.