Axe and Hammer Tavern (1.2)

Sure I do! I just don't usually in 1,000 point games or less. I have never gotten Ivar or Margara to pay for themselves in less than 1,000 points...ever! Kara Foehunter is just plain useless in my opinion. I am sure there are 50 players out there with hundreds of examples of how cool she is, but I haven't gotten to do anything useful. ::(:

Durgam, however, is starting to get on my happy side. :lol: I have found that he is actually worth his points since the v1.2 changes. Before, he was less than worthless. Now... :B):

In the 2,000 point army I posted on the other forum, I had 2 elites in there: Durgram and Ivar. And I had Herryk with spells as well (sorta like having 3).

If I play Razig, I take elites all the time. If I play Freelance, right now I don't normally take any elites, but again, I'm not usually playing that big of army either. ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure I do! I just don't usually in 1,000 point games or less. I have never gotten Ivar or Margara to pay for themselves in less than 1,000 points...ever! Kara Foehunter is just plain useless in my opinion. I am sure there are 50 players out there with hundreds of examples of how cool she is, but I haven't gotten to do anything useful. ::(:

Durgam, however, is starting to get on my happy side. :lol: I have found that he is actually worth his points since the v1.2 changes. Before, he was less than worthless. Now... :B):

In the 2,000 point army I posted on the other forum, I had 2 elites in there: Durgram and Ivar. And I had Herryk with spells as well (sorta like having 3).

If I play Razig, I take elites all the time. If I play Freelance, right now I don't normally take any elites, but again, I'm not usually playing that big of army either. ^_^

Its funny how something in the hands of one person it works and for another it doesn't . I've had great success with both Ivar and Margara but I must agree Kara leads alot to be desired even if she's a cute model .

I'm not sure but I think the mini your referring to is actually a dwarf berserker. Or not. But the data card is up for an adept called "dwarf berserker" now. He's fairly expensive (very expensive in my eyes) but comes with lots of neato special rules and a nifty stat line. I'm still too inexperienced to say if he's worth taking and if so how many should find their way into my force.

The sculpt looks super awesome though, so I'm for sure going to purchase the guy when he comes out whether I use him or not. Wiebe nailed the berserker look right on the head with out making it resemble GW's slayer models. Kudos to him. *beer stein in air*

I've had the fortune to get a few games under my belt and am learning a lot. I'm still getting out tactic'd, but I'm getting the flow of the game and understanding the mechanics better at this juncture. Hopefully I can start to win once I get some more games under my belt and become more familiar with different armies and what different models can do and what to watch out for and what not.

I do know one thing for certain. I hate, hate, hate elves with bows. I learned that lesson very early on and I keep learning that lesson (the hard way) every time I face some. Do yall have any novel ways to deal with those pesky long ears?

What I've been doing is running my griffon up asap to draw fire, then sprint up with the rest of my force while my eyes are closed hoping too many don't get mowed down by bow fire. I've had mixed results with this method.

Do yall have any novel ways to deal with those pesky long ears?

Of course, depending on the points size of the games you are playing, these suggestions may or may not be helpful. ::):

I don't typically have too many problems with the Elves. I don't know if my Elf players are that bad, or you are just having horrible luck. :unsure:

Anyways, I tend to take a lot of Bear Riders. They have a DV 14 against shooting. They can shoot at me all day. They need a natural 10 to hit. I typically play with two bears, sometimes three.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take musicians if you aren't doing so! That will get you across the field just that much faster.

I know Piercers have what feels like half the range of the Elf archers, but they also have half the cost!! Plop some of those bad boys on the table. If the Elf archers spend time wasting your piercers, who cares! The rest of your army is zooming across the field ready to kick some Elf booty.

Make sure there is LOTS & LOTS & LOTS & LOTS of terrain. That way you might be able to force the Elf player to have to move his archers every turn, thus limiting them to only one shot. Not so deadly then!

Good luck! ::):

Thanks for the response Bill. I always take at least one bear rider. I will consider taking two, but that means I'd have to drop my griffon. Against shooting the griffon is just as hard to kill and he moves almost double what Thorvald does. Ranger helps too. Oh, yeah the griffon looks durn cool to boot. Sigh, choices, choices.

And that's a check on musicians and piercers. I take 'em both. I'm super speedy and my cross bows have served me well thus far.

Generally speaking theres anywhere from 4-6 pieces of terrain on the boards I play at. I try to take advantage of cover as best I can, but those pesky elves seem to find all the right places to flee and shoot from. How many pieces do you guys tend to use in your games? I'm loath to take "LOTSx4" terrain as I don't want to sway anything in my favor at the expense of my opponent. Maybe "LOTSx2" terrain is a happy medium. Like I said I'm still kind of unexperienced and not sure what constitutes the right amount of terrain.

Thanks for the pointers Bill, I'll keep them in mind next time I point up a list.

We usually use lots of terrain. This isn't warhammer, so units don't need to have big areas to walkthrough. As long as you leave lanes for the elves to shoot through, you can keep the board balanced.

By terrain piece do you mean something small like a rock, low hill, or cottage, or something large like a forrest, big hill, large rocky area, or big set of ruins? How far apart are you placing it?

The best method that I've found works against the Elves is to get tot he archers as fast as you can. Use whatver cover you can get, but focus on reaching the archers. You will take some losses on the way, but once you reach them it's all fun & games. Anything else in the way is just a speed bump.

Castlebuilder

The fastest troops the Dwarves currently have are the Swiftaxes. MOV 5. Runner/2. Give them a musician, and it's MOV 7! That means, first turn you MOV 7 on your first activation, then declare a charge if you think you are within range. If so, that is a total of 11 more inches. Most likely though, you'll just use the runner ability and move 9 inches. The downside to Swiftaxes is their crappy DV 8. Easy pickings for archers of almost any faction! ::(:

Therer is a new Dwarf Beserker that just came out with that same move abilities as the Swiftaxe, but with a DV 9. A little better, but these guys are 66 points each!! :blink: Sheesh. They haven't reached my FLGS yet, so I don't own any. Oh, I'm sure I'll buy two or three, but no more than that!

Don't forget Shieldmaidens. DV 11 + Deflect = tough against shooting. The problem? With only a MOV 4 (6 with Musician) they aren't the fastest things on the board. The Swiftaxes can charge across in a hurry, and so can the Griffon (which you know).

What I have found to work for me is to provide your enemy with lots of juicy targets and then bust your butt across the field. ::):

I played last night against the Reptus. 1,000 points. She was fielding Ssudai (the mage) with all kinds of upgrades and spells as well as T'kay (the cleric) with stuff!! :blink: Yeah, that was tough. The initiative did not go my way, and she managed to wipe out my entire shieldmaiden unit with a Firestorm. Yes, I shouldn't have bunched them up like that, but how was I to know she was going to get three activations in a row during the first 3 turns of the game? :angry:

However, with all of the other targets on the board, I still managed to hold on and do enough damage that I squeaked out a victory in the end. It was a bloody mess though! I only had 2 warriors and 3 Swiftaxes remaining. She rolled absolutely horrible, while I just rolled horrible. :lol:

Yeah, I've found that being overly cautious on the way in versus a ranged army usually means more mourning dwarf widows. Light woods are excellent because by and large they block LOS but they don't slow you down. Hedges or low stone walls are next best because they barely slow you down as you hop over them, but provide a great rally point to rush to and hide behind between your activations.

I've never actually used Mountain God's Breath, the dwarf spell found in the core rulebook under the dwarf army SA section. But I have a sneaky feeling that I'm overlooking something useful in my non-use of that spell. Might want to check it out!

I've never actually used Mountain God's Breath, the dwarf spell found in the core rulebook under the dwarf army SA section. But I have a sneaky feeling that I'm overlooking something useful in my non-use of that spell. Might want to check it out!

Hmmm...I remember seeing the spell printed there...but I don't have a clue as to what it does, how much it costs, etc. You're right...I might have to reread just to see if it is any good now that I am "experienced". :lol:

Light woods are excellent because by and large they block LOS but they don't slow you down. Hedges or low stone walls are next best because they barely slow you down as you hop over them, but provide a great rally point to rush to and hide behind between your activations.

Remember, elves do not take any penalties for cover, unless it completely blocks line of site. All they need is to see a sliver of your base, or the top of your head and they have a clean shot with no penalty.

To ue terrain, make sure you use terrain that blocks LOS, not just muddles with it, cause al lthat does is slow you down and not hinder them firing at you at all.

Hmmm...I remember seeing the spell printed there...but I don't have a clue as to what it does, how much it costs, etc. You're right...I might have to reread just to see if it is any good now that I am "experienced". :lol:

Mountain gods breath costs 5 pts

has an aoe from the caster and everyone in the aoe gets an extra 2 inches of movement on thier activation. So a swiftaxe with MGB gets 10 inch move with a musican. Fast little buggers. :upside:

Cleric spell: and I use it alot.

Mountain gods breath costs 5 pts

has an aoe from the caster and everyone in the aoe gets an extra 2 inches of movement on thier activation. So a swiftaxe with MGB gets 10 inch move with a musican. Fast little buggers. :upside:

Cleric spell: and I use it alot.

:devil: With Herryk being a cleric, and Logrim being a cleric, and Ivar being a cleric... :devil:

I can't believe I never paid attention to that before! Of course, now that I have more cleric choices... :devil:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I do use both swiftaxes and shield maidens. I love the darling gals to death, they seem about the only ones that can actually weather the arrow storm on a somewhat consistent basis.

To answer mooseyjoe theres usually a mix of stuff that hinders ranged attacking (forests, buildings, ect) as well as stuff that helps it out (hills and such). All the pieces are fairly large. At least not so small as a single rock or anything.

Thanks for reminder about elves ignoring cover bonus Stubdog, I may have tried to make use of cover in a future game to no effect.

Mountain God's breath sounds pretty tempting now that the dwarves have some cleric models that can risk getting into close range with the enemy. I may try it out in a future game.

Oh, one more question. Forgive me if this is a noobish and obvious query, but is there a place I can view (and print) a comprehensive list of all the spells and all their effects. I find that magic is the area of the game I'm least up to speed on. I've searched high and low on the message boards and the reaper sight and Havnt found anything. I may just be blind though. Or dumb. Yep, its probably the dumb thing.