Axe and Hammer Tavern (1.2)

My favorite part of the spell is to use it twice. First Ivar casts it on some swift axes who "clear the road" because they are breakers. Then Logrim casts it on some shield maidens who break through the line and cause a ruckus on the other side of thier line useing the hole created by the breakers. Can we say "they move how fast?"

Yes folks step right up and see the dwarven sprinting team in action!

:devil:

also dont forget with runner 2 swiftaxes get a total of 12 inches on charge.

move 5 runner 2 muscian 2 MGB 1 charge 2 = 12 inch charge.

kill someone step left= open path to the second ranks of troops.

Oh my bad I looked up MGB it is only 1 extra inch of movement for 5 pts with 2inch AOE.

jimbo with rulebook in hand

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I was pretty sure it was only a one inch boost. So if your cleric has nothing else to do it's worth it. I'd figure mostly for the first activation of a troop, when you're not really having to heal anything, light off the spell and get that much closer. Situational, like everything else. It's dirt cheap too!

I like to use it twice, early to get closer, and then again late in the game to slam into the faster than they think. Or when elves try to run away. also it seems when I build a list I always seem to have 5-10 points left over for an unused spell slot. bang MGB

We are planning on having a 1,250 point tournament here in Tulsa sometime in February (Details to follow later! :lol: ). This is an army I was contemplating on using:

Fulumbar + LMA

Ivar + 4 Bandage + 1 Cure

5 Warriors

Musician

Griffon

Brag Ironballs (Fulumbar's twin) + LMA

Grimm the Cleric (Ivar's twin) + 4 Bandage + 1 Cure

6 Halberdiers

Musician

Thorvald

Freya

5 Shieldmaidens

Musician

Totals: 1,249 Points, 23 Models, 5 Troops, 5 Initiative Cards

Notice a lack of piercers in the list. This is designed to smash its way across the board and engage as fast as possible. If they have a flyer, my Griffon will go after it. If they have shooty types, my Griffon and/or Bear and/or Shieldmaidens will take off after them. Mage? Griffon. Yes, the Griffon could potentially have lots of things to do. Hence, multiple clerics in multiple units for maximum healage opportunity. :bday:

Wild Bill :blues:

Any particular reason why the halberds are all alone? Besides your solos every model in this army has trencher - and all the reachers are stuck in one troop! I'd drop a cure from one Ivar to add more soldiers, and I'd spread out the Halberdiers.

I'd also consider dropping Freya down to Gargram and replacing one Fulumbar with Logrim.. and switching the maidens from the Gargram troop to the Logrim troop, for the Healer SA since this army relies on healing alot. But at this point my suggestions start stripping away the "feel" of the army you're trying for so you probably won't want to do that.

Any particular reason why the halberds are all alone? Besides your solos every model in this army has trencher - and all the reachers are stuck in one troop! I'd drop a cure from one Ivar to add more soldiers, and I'd spread out the Halberdiers.

I'd also consider dropping Freya down to Gargram and replacing one Fulumbar with Logrim.. and switching the maidens from the Gargram troop to the Logrim troop, for the Healer SA since this army relies on healing alot. But at this point my suggestions start stripping away the "feel" of the army you're trying for so you probably won't want to do that.

If I fielded Logrim, chances are I wouldn't be using the Heal ability all that much. He is THE tank in the Dwarf army, solos not withstanding. Base DV 12, MAV 4, # MA 2, Warmaster. Sweetness all around. However, spreading out the Halberdiers may not be a bad idea. I guess I could reduce that one unit to only a total of 4 models (minimum required) and take the other 4 halberdiers and put two in each of the other two troops. My original plan with them was to have them essentially run behind the shieldmaiden troop in its entirety. Right now, Freya doesn't have enough grunt slots to take that many models. If I do something like that, it is normally her, 4 maidens, and 5 halberdiers.

Plus, I was just trying to make a totally different style of build (well, for me at least ^_^ ). No guarantees it will work. I plan on trying to play it tomorrow night. You may be totally right and I will be reworking the list on Friday. :lol:

This post is mostly to try out the new bells and whistles on the forum! But I'll include a battle report so there's at least some meaningful content! :upside:

My army:

LoganDF, +2DV, Margara3 Ice,Durgam 3 Swifties, 5 Piercers, 1 WarriorMusic

Logrim, Ivar3 Bandages, 6 Maidens, 3 HalberdsMusic

Gargram, 6 Warriors, 3 HalberdsMusic

Snorri

Thorvald

1501, 5 cards, 1 spy, something like 34 models... I counted last night and I don't feel like counting again!

Opponent's Army

Moandain2x Firestorm, ?xBolt, Life Transfer, +1CP, Malek2?xBolt, Fireball, 3 Skeletal Archers

Elsabeth Briarkiss, Lord Dauren, 6x Crimson Knights

Azarphan, 8? Skeletal Breakers

Banshee

Totem

I got smashed hard... The AOE magic just slaughtered me - since grunts were auto kill when Moandain fired them off. I lost both my maiden troop and my swiftaxe/piercer troop to AOE spells. My warrior troop engaged the breaker troop and killed it off - with heavy losses, but they did the job - Snorri actually did pretty well, hiding in the back and plinking at Malek when he had a chance, and at various skeletons. I couldn't roll above 5 all game so that contributed to it... but it was definately the magic that got me. I also need to get better at protecting my piercers, I let them be way too exposed and they died before they were too much help. The game ended with Snorri taking a pot shot at Logrim, hitting him with an arrow, and then fleeing the battlefield, haha!

EDIT:

Not sure I liked using subscript for spells/equipment better than the usual way I do it.. ah well! I do like the look of the editor, that's for sure. I like having Bold/Italic/Underline in the quick editor!

Yeah, AOE magic is a big ol' bee-atch for the Dwarves. Heck, magic in general sucks. We have like 4 or 5 models above a MD 11. With Moandain and the Witch Queen, an 11 is still an autohit, assuming they have GME. I have lost games as well to that tactic before starting to spread out my models more. Yeah, they still might hit 4 or so, but that's a lot better than ALL of them. :poke:

The last game I played was against the Reptus, 1000 points. She (yes, it was a female player! :lol: ) had Ssudai with a Firestorm, GME, and something else, T'kay with Bandages, 3 Chai-uuts, Uru, two trolls. Yes, it was a vicious army. We were actually tied for initiative, and I made a gamble by trying to rush a bunch of models through a narrow ravine, hoping for initiative the following turn. Alas, it was not to be and I lost all but two of those models, thanks to Tough. :down:

I still managed to pull out the victory only because she started rolling like total crap from then on out. It's tough to win that way. ::):

so i'm curious if anyone can give me a logical reason why bane applies to ranged and magic attacks instead of simply melee :angry:

If I remember correctly it says dwarves are blood thirsty killers so I would suppose that they would know how best to hit you with a melee weapon so you don't get back up, likewise they either know where to aim with their crossbows or perhaps they have a special poison they coat on the tips of the bolts that make sure you don't get back up. As for spells perhaps the dwarven mages and clerics have found out how to give them that little extra punch to keep you down. Now game wise it's there to balance out the dwarves against the other factions so just come up with any reason you want as to why bane work the way it does, after all the is a Fantasy game, everything doesn't have abide by mundane logic or reasoning.

I noticed a lot of Dwarf players are saying use terrain against elf archers. That may be a legit tactic in 1000 point games but in 1501 warlord games. The new warlord can lead volleys with scrye shot. If he takes 10 archers and nirodel w/ bless that will be 22 shots within a 10" circle the archers having a rav of 4 and they have los to everywhere and can shoot through anything.

You might say that doesn't leave much for melee but 500 points buys a lot of 20 pnt grunts and 34 point sgts.

I think the dwarfs have a better shot than most winning this because of maidens and warriors, the griffen and bear but builds with piercers, halberds, swift axes, berserkers, Margara, Kara, Snorri and Logan will be getting hit on 4 and 5 which means 10 to 12 wounds a volley.

I noticed a lot of Dwarf players are saying use terrain against elf archers. That may be a legit tactic in 1000 point games but in 1501 warlord games. The new warlord can lead volleys with scrye shot. If he takes 10 archers and nirodel w/ bless that will be 22 shots within a 10" circle the archers having a rav of 4 and they have los to everywhere and can shoot through anything.

You might say that doesn't leave much for melee but 500 points buys a lot of 20 pnt grunts and 34 point sgts.

I think the dwarfs have a better shot than most winning this because of maidens and warriors, the griffen and bear but builds with piercers, halberds, swift axes, berserkers, Margara, Kara, Snorri and Logan will be getting hit on 4 and 5 which means 10 to 12 wounds a volley.

To my understanding can't scrye shot only be used by the character with that SA on his final attack, hence not being used with a volley??? :rock:

Correct . :poke:

Incorrect.

If you want your Scrye Shooter to use all his shots in a Volley (to minimally increase the AOE), he can still participate in a normal Volley, or act as Blazer (if having the SA and making an Indirect Volley), but would have to give up the benefits of his Scrye Shot and follow normal LOS rules.

If a Model wants to participate in a Volley and gain the ability to make use of their Scrye Shot, they need to have SA: Blazer and contribute only a single (their first and last shot) to the total AOE calculation. They must sacrifice their other shots.

Emmel clarified the Scrye Shooting and Blazer stuff already