Axe and Hammer Tavern (1.2)

I am not sure on this, but I don't think that Improved Protection can be combined with Cavalry (in the bear rider's case) to give him an effective DV 15 against shooting. I think you will have to drop it to Lesser Magic Armor on both counts. That gives an extra 10 points that you can use to upgrade Herryk to Greater Magic Armor. ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure on this, but I don't think that Improved Protection can be combined with Cavalry (in the bear rider's case) to give him an effective DV 15 against shooting. I think you will have to drop it to Lesser Magic Armor on both counts. That gives an extra 10 points that you can use to upgrade Herryk to Greater Magic Armor. ::):

I fotgot that the bears get the Cavalry bous :blush:

While your idea has merit , the effect of the "Speed" spell is immediate and therefore the Griffon must either use its additonal non-combat action immediately or it is lost , it doesn't stay around indefinately . I forget the original post but over a year ago there was a question about "Speed" and it effects are immediate . Nice try though .

Edit : Here it is and here is another .

I am not sure on this, but I don't think that Improved Protection can be combined with Cavalry (in the bear rider's case) to give him an effective DV 15 against shooting.

Deflect SA, Flying, and Cavalry SA are all separate Ranged Combat Situational Modifiers.

Rich

I suppose you'd end up with an army that looked something like this to fight them.

1501 Pts - Dwarves Company - Unnamed

<snip>

I would use the following, assuming a fight to the death:

Herryk Aesir, High Cleric Warlord + IP + DF + Bless = 236

10xShieldmaidens (1 w/ Musician) = 275

Gargram Heavyhand = 34

9xWarriors (1 w/ Musician) = 231

Gargram Heavyhand = 34

8xWarriors (1 w/ Musician) = 207

Gargram Heavyhand = 34

Gargram Heavyhand = 34

Total = 1499, 48 models

Rich

While your idea has merit , the effect of the "Speed" spell is immediate and therefore the Griffon must either use its additonal non-combat action immediately or it is lost , it doesn't stay around indefinately . I forget the original post but over a year ago there was a question about "Speed" and it effects are immediate . Nice try though .

Edit : Here it is and here is another .

I think it would still work, you just need try and hold those last three until last and when you do the speed move to maek sure the Griffon is with 12" of Herryk so he can teleport.

I suppose you'd end up with an army that looked something like this to fight them.

1501 Pts - Dwarves Company - Unnamed

<snip>

I would use the following, assuming a fight to the death:

<SNIP>

Total = 1499, 48 models

Rich

I don't have that many warriors, only 10, so that's what I limited myself to.

I don't have that many warriors, only 10, so that's what I limited myself to.

That's a shame. Dwarven Warriors are one of the best bargains in the game and certainly the best pure "Grunt". I suppose swapping out Warriors for Thorvalds would only marginally reduce effectiveness (but watch out for Lysette with cheap Ice Shards!) Other than that, list effectiveness goes way down with other substitutions, at least against the Elves.

Rich

Better teleport strategy:

*rest of your army, lalala...*

Herryk 2/Teleport

Durgam Deepmug with GMW, +2 DV and DF if you really want to give him a shot at surviving this - but GMW is a very good choice.

That way the teleporting and the killing happens all at once. Durgam can pump 3 attacks at MAV 5 into the archer warlord, which won't kill him outright but will pretty near do the trick. If you're lucky the warlord won't be able to break away and the elf player will be stupid and attack durgam in melee, allowing him to land the killing blow on the warlord in his defensive strike (which ought to be pretty near an auto hit).

I am not sure on this, but I don't think that Improved Protection can be combined with Cavalry (in the bear rider's case) to give him an effective DV 15 against shooting.

Deflect SA, Flying, and Cavalry SA are all separate Ranged Combat Situational Modifiers.

Rich

D'oh! You're right! :wacko:

Hmmm...that would be a tough call then. But, I did like the 48 model army. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet... :devil:

Herryk 2/Teleport

Durgam Deepmug with GMW, +2 DV and DF if you really want to give him a shot at surviving this - but GMW is a very good choice.

That way the teleporting and the killing happens all at once. Durgam can pump 3 attacks at MAV 5 into the archer warlord, which won't kill him outright but will pretty near do the trick. If you're lucky the warlord won't be able to break away and the elf player will be stupid and attack durgam in melee, allowing him to land the killing blow on the warlord in his defensive strike (which ought to be pretty near an auto hit).

Eawod is DV10, DV12 with upgrades. 3xMAV5 vs DV12 = 1.2 damage on average. After DF, that leaves 0.2 points of damage on average. If the Elves brought Lysette, expect an Ice Shard - no Defensive Strikes. Then the Elves can then make RAV4 point blank shots using Marksman with all of their archers - no Defensive Strikes. If all else fails, they can mob Durgam and suffer the single Defensive Strike. Result = dead Durgam (223 points) + used Teleport (50 points) vs 0-2 points of damage on Eawod.

GMW is a huge waste without Warmaster.

Rich

Herryk 2/Teleport

Eawod is DV10, DV12 with upgrades. 3xMAV5 vs DV12 = 1.2 damage on average. After DF, that leaves 0.2 points of damage on average. If the Elves brought Lysette, expect an Ice Shard - no Defensive Strikes. Then the Elves can then make RAV4 point blank shots using Marksman with all of their archers - no Defensive Strikes. If all else fails, they can mob Durgam and suffer the single Defensive Strike. Result = dead Durgam (223 points) + used Teleport (50 points) vs 0-2 points of damage on Eawod.

Rich

What if you use Freya :wub: with GMW+GMA+DF? Yeah she is now 232 in points and to me a little risky but it might work with her MAV 6 and DV 13.

But, I did like the 48 model army. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet... :devil:

I don't have the models to do it either. I would have to do something like:

Herryk Aesir, High Cleric Warlord + IP + DF + 3xBandage = 261

9xShieldmaidens (1 w/ Musician) = 249

Gargram Heavyhand = 34

7xWarriors (1 w/ Musician) = 183

Gargram Heavyhand = 34

7xWarriors (1 w/ Musician) = 183

Gargram Heavyhand = 34

6xWarriors (1 w/ Musician) = 159

Thorvald Clawhelm + IP = 101

Total = 1500, 36 models

IP on the bears means that they would still be DV13 vs shooting if they have 1 Dmg. Herryk also has one bandage for each bear (or himself). I think this is probably still an auto-win vs the Elves, but not as obvious as the 48 model version. In both cases s-p-r-e-a-d o-u-t to avoid AOE effects! The difference in melee abilities vs the Elves is so huge that you can ignore any of your own models that get mobbed individually and just keep everyone else running to the archers.

Rich

The difference in melee abilities vs the Elves is so huge that you can ignore any of your own models that get mobbed individually and just keep everyone else running to the archers.

Don't forget that the bears are Horrid. That means if they want to mob those guys, they better be rolling really good! Plus, with the bear having Warmaster, it's by no means guaranteed you'll hit twice on Defensive Strikes, the odds are in your favor. :devil:

I have this 2,500 point Dwarf list that I made in an attempt to counter a 2,500 point Elf list that I saw. The Elf list had something like 26 models that could shoot an arrow. My goal with the following army was to have it move as fast as possible. Hence, the use of lots of models with Runner. :upside:

Logan + GMA + DF

Ivar + LME + 4 Bandage + 1 Cure

10 Berserkers

Musician

Standard Bearer

Griffon

Fulumbar

10 Berserkers

Musician

Standard Bearer

Thorvald

Gargram

9 Swiftaxes

Musician

Standard Bearer

Totals: 2,495 Points, 35 Models, 5 Troops, 5 Init Cards

I know that the inclusion of the standards may seem odd. However, the army I was facing had two Mossbeards. Outside of the leaders and solos, the DIS for these guys isn't all that great. I figured I would need all the help I could get!! Both the Berserkers and Swiftaxes can move 16" a turn utilizing Runner. My goal would be to have one turn tops where they are shooting the crap out of me before I'm on them.

I know I know I know. Their DV collectively sucks, but I'm hoping for some terrain help and some misses. Ivar is there essentially for the Griffon, Thorvald, and Logan. The Griffon will bust its butt to get across the field and take out as many archers as possible. Ivar will attempt to keep him alive. ::):

Rich

I have no illusions about Durgam surviving that tactic. He'd be killed outright no matter if Eowod lives or dies. You simply cannot trick Durgam out enough to make it a poor exchange for Eowod's life.

GMW is definately better with Warmaster, but there's two reasons I'd always use it with Durgam in this tactic. One, Dwarves have no Warmaster elites that I could put it on, and two, the extra attack gives me a much better chance of laying serious pain on Eowod. Even if I can put one hit on him his RAV goes down by 1/3, which helps my whole army survive the volleys he might use.

Eowod's player will see a tricked out hero sitting amongst his shooty types as a threat, and will definately devote great attention to it. He'll spend actions shooting at him - my guess is he'll spend extra attacks, just to make sure Durgam dies - these are all attacks that are not being fired at the rest of my army, which is what I care about. I see this as a win-win situation. In one situation I win, in another I REALLY win!

Hmm, perhaps taking Ivar in that troop and using Bless to further boost Durgam's MAV would be good. 5 points is nothing if it gets me that closer to mauling a 400 point model in round 1!