Sign in to follow this  
Emmel Eitch

Sokar is Near (1.2)

Obviously, both have their good points. Sokar's Avatar gives another initiative card, has that uber MAV that will rarely miss, and pretty darn good speed to get across the board quickly. It also has an extra damage track compared to Ib.

On the other hand, Ib can be part of a troop so as to have supporting models. You could have the moderte weapon as well as a divine favor to match that extra damage track of the Avatar. Ib has just as good of movement, and that extra swing along with said troop support might balance out the lesser mav.

Either way, they will probably be arrow magnets.

Yep, I initially was gonna say the Avatar no brainer, but I have to admit that I would lean toward Ib (with the uprgades) of those two choices.

Ive been playing with the Khamsin sub-list for a bit. I have trouble justifying Firststrike as it seems too expensive to me, especially compared to assassin. As I understand it Firststrike can only be used once per model per enemy unit and you have to charge immeadietly before you strike, in addition you have to make the kill for it to have any affect at all. Assissin on the otherhand(which seems to be a cheaper SA) would allow a mounted character, to consistantly flank his opponent, get a +2 MAV on his swing, and would not be hit in return even if he missed, whats more if he is alive and not surrounded in the next turn, he can break, reflank and get all the bonuses again. Although giving calvary assassin SA is probably a horriable idea, I believe I am missing the point of firststrike and why it is so great. Anyone care to rectify this?

I got a few quesions about Nefsokar.

1) The book states that the Frog swarms are adepts. Does this mean that only one troop can cast them. Ex. I have 2 clerics in 2 different groups and can both clerics cast it or just one cast?

2) Has anybody used the frogs succefully or are the just a waste of points? If so how?

3)Also what is the best way to use Khathan? Whenever I use her i keep her back and take shats from a far.

4)I have been working on an Army list I have room for upgrades or men still.

1500 Desert Wind army

Troop 1

Misher-65

4 dervishes-132

2 herdsman-46

Troop 2

Tariq-56

2 bandages 30

Fatima-76

2-call of lightnings 120

2 bandages 20

Desert Hordes-25

2 dervishes-66

1 herdsman-23

1 ranger-41

Troop 3

Anwar-82

3 mounted Archers-141

Troop 4

Khathan-145

Troop 5

Scorpian-144

Troop 6

Dust Devil-116

Questions answered

1) Ignore the adept status, use them as written. The spell is not unique.

2)Haven't ever wanted to try them in a game, I have enough expensive 2 attack soldiers

3)I always give Khathan Cloak of the Dunewalker,shoot across the field next to impassable terrrain, sush as a building, and charge through the building to the enemy's rear when they close.

4) my biggest issue with the Khamsin sublist(assuming thats what you are playing seeing as you have dervishes in multiple troops and no undead) is its lack of high DV infantry. Calvery is nice but expensive and thus easily swarmed, infantry models are cheaper, you get more of them, but have fairly low DV's (8's and 9's) I've had great luck with Sokar's Avatar w/ Sokar's Presence. You are going to have a smaller force no matter what, The big guy gives you a cheap totem, the "o crap, kill the big thing" benifit saving hits on your low DV guys while your clerics keep him up, and can do nice damage with his 8 MAV + swingthrough.

Here is the 1500 list I used last time I played. It did decently.

Anwar

Mounted Archers x 5

Lancers x 2

Tariq - bandage x 3

Fatima - divine favor, hold x 2, bandage x 4, cure

Heardsmen x 3

Dervish x 5

Sokar's Avatar - Sokar's Presence

Khathan - cloak of dunewalker, greater magic armor, greater magic weapon

Total 1493

I probably should trade Khathan's weapon for something else, but it did give her an 8 Mav when attacking in the rear near the Avatar

Khathan - cloak of dunewalker, greater magic armor, greater magic weapon

Total 1493

I probably should trade Khathan's weapon for something else, but it did give her an 8 Mav when attacking in the rear near the Avatar

A solo may not have a greater magic weapon. Only leaders and elites can have it.

Rich

:blink:

I have been 'looking' at the Desert Winds list. Trying to come up with 1501pt list.

Has anyone spent the $$$$$ and time to try this?

Also, the list ability Mobility and Delayment, are these as powerful as they sound?

2 unit kept off the table on turn 1 (if the map is greater than 2ft - turn 2). You can keep tacticains, spys, Mages, Cleric off table during the beginning of the game.

Adding the Ability to move EVERYTHING after deployment.

I am pretty new, but am I overstating this armies power?

Just looking for someone with some experience to chime in.

Lonely Monk :wacko:

It's a bit of hit or miss. I played against it during playtesting quite a bit.

Since the majority of your models are going to be Cavalry, which on average cost twice that of a Grunt, you need that kind of initial advantage for the army to be viable, since you will be at a large model disadvantage. Don't fall into the trap of racing in, attacking stuff, and then hanging around. Mobility is your greatest asset. You will not stand up in a prolonged toe to toe slug fest. Run in, kill what you can, run out. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Do not hang around in your opponent's deployment zone when Delayment is about to expire or you will likely be swarmed and slaughtered.

If you pick the right troops to Delay, it can be utterly devastating for your opponent. Troops with a Tactician cannot be effected by Delayment, so a smart opponent is going to try and spread those out into several troops if they know they will be facing The Desert Wind.

My win/loss ratio with my Desert Wind list is 0/3. However every game has been a blast to play.

It's not an easy list to play (or a cheap one for that matter), but it is a fun list to experiment with. You really have to pick your moment to strike and use each model to their fullest. Having attack spells with your clerics helps a lot also because Desert Wind has no mages.

Having attack spells with your clerics helps a lot also because Desert Wind has no mages.

Isn't the Sphinx on the list? It is a Mage, not the best, but an option....

Lonely Monk

Yeah, the Sphinx is a Mage, or rather, has SA: Mage. Not the most potent caster, but it can still catch you off guard, and since it's flying, it can drop a fireball in the middle of a mass of troops for that perfect full circle blast, as opposed to the usual hit the 3 guys in front. Then your Fireball can actually be like a mini Firestorm, which is likely to be more cost effective. He's only a CP 4, so you have to roll well, but a well placed Fireball from a Flyer can get almost as many targets as a Firestorm, and saves 25 points a spell slot.

Regarding the finances of a Desert Wind...the good news is that you're going to be based in large part on Cavalry, which means your models will cost a lot of points, so you won't have to field as many, which means less assembly, painting, etc. Desert Wind does employ a few footsoldiers too. The bad news, you will be fielding a lot of Cavalry, which means lots of metal, which means cost.

Standard cost for a base Foot Soldier is about $4.50 per figure.

Standard cost for Cavalry Soldier is about $11.50 per figure.

Just to give you an idea.