Sokar is Near (1.2)

And even the cleric warlord has his place, just don't expect to load him up with the Nefsokar offensive cleric magic.

Tombguard is a must. End of story. No appeals. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

If you have the points to spare, Lancers make a good shock troop.

Prophets make good Bandage holders, or a good stop gap if you're hurting for a cleric.

Atifa makes a good offensive cleric, her speed will help keep her out of trouble and being cavalry is a built in shield against arrow assassination.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any opinions on Sokar's Presence? I normally find a way to work it into my army. I think 50 points for a +1 MAV is a worth it and it's not that hard to stay within 12 inches of the model equipped with it.

That has to be on a "golem" model right? The obvious one is give it to Ammat. She's already your troop leader, so she's most likely to have friendly models within 12"

At 50 points though, I'd rather just give Ammat a mix of weapon and armor upgrades than hope that I can keep models close to her so they can also gain the benefit.

That has to be on a "golem" model right? The obvious one is give it to Ammat. She's already your troop leader, so she's most likely to have friendly models within 12"

At 50 points though, I'd rather just give Ammat a mix of weapon and armor upgrades than hope that I can keep models close to her so they can also gain the benefit.

I like Sokars Prescence on Ammat with a full compliment of Tomb Guard aroung her.

Elements Warden, I'd be interested to know why you don't like the cleric warlord. Is it the low DV? I usually boost his CP by one, give him 4 or 5 bandages, and a Burning Hail... maybe +2 DV and DF if I've got the points. He does well enough. Horrid helps keep bad guys off of him.

re: Sokar's Presence: You get a better benefit (mostly) than a Battle Totem, at a fixed price. Any game over 500 points and you're netting a pretty good bargain! At 750 you can take an extra Anubis Guard.

Drawbacks to Sokar's Presence:

It's easy to focus fire and kill the bearer - though with cavalry now in the game it's also pretty easy to neutralize a totem.

12 inch radius, as opposed to "any model on the field." As people have said, *usually* this isn't a big deal. That's a 24 inch circle, it's hard to not be in that, considering that most of the battle will take place within a foot or so.

Benefits:

As I said, usually it's more economical than a Totem

It stacks!!! You can equip Sokar's Presence, then kit out your models with + MAV gear, and they get the benefit of both! This is a massive advantage, and I don't need to go any further with it.

Elements Warden, I'd be interested to know why you don't like the cleric warlord. Is it the low DV? I usually boost his CP by one, give him 4 or 5 bandages, and a Burning Hail... maybe +2 DV and DF if I've got the points. He does well enough. Horrid helps keep bad guys off of him.

The horrid is great but he is a second rate caster with a 6 cp and his cost does not make up for it. I would rather have Fatima (and a 7 cp) and a prophet for 25 points less. Twice the healing power for less cost and Fatima's offensive spell are better than the warlords.

I work with a heavy Avatar-Tomb Guard Punch and need healers to keep it rolling. I ussually have at least 2-3 clerics in my armies. If I need a warlord I use Khufu... he is awesome. It seems to work well for me. ::):

E.W. check out Neb'nesew Ne'pet now! I think he might be the best cleric in the game now - haven't looked thoroughly, but he's better than Fatima and Balthon, better than Herryk, better than Overlord's Marquis Zora. Combine that with the sweet awesome Nefsokar cleric spells (the ones that survived at any rate) and you've got a real awesome warlord.

Khufu, likewise, is completely amazing. Different roles, though Khufu's not a bad stand-in cleric by any means at all.

Even though a part of me is a little miffed that many of the Nefsokar specific spells are gone now, I can't help but be pleased by the added utility of the ones that survived (Felling, Parting Death's River, and Sandstorm). I've already built entire armies around PDR, and Felling's utility went up a hundred-fold. Being able to choose your targets is incredible, and the lower cost means we can use it without dropping our numbers too far.

I'm also liking the proliferation of Fearsome in the Nefsokar ranks. Fearsome is a sweet ability for heroes here and there to have, but it just is absolutely incredible for adepts and multiple leaders and so forth to have. Much of the time Nefsokar models will either be based and not attacked (due to players Rallying their troopers) or based, attacked, and getting the chance to swing back (and with luck activate and attack again) while the enemy is shaken. This alone makes the Nefsokar a fierce army!

I take back everything bad I ever said about Thoth.

Tomb Guard are now frakking ROCK HARD.

The Reborn is now worth taking, too.

My biggest disappointment is Mi-Sher, but sergeants definitely seem to be getting the short end of the stick - the trend seems to be to make them souped-up grunts, rather than heroes. Which is not terribly a bad thing.

Each faction is suppose to have strengths and weaknesses.

I have to admit, I am still trying to figure out what the new weaknesses are for the Nef. I cant really find any.

I guess if you pinned me down, its that you lack flying grunts.

I was never a nef person, but these changes might have forced me to reconsider.

Well, taking a look at spells...

Felling of the Firstborn: Hmmm, fun. 1 damage to any 5 models, anywhere in the field... but only once.

Part Death's River: Has become godly. And cheaper. I'm in love.

Leader models: I find it interesting that Tariq and Mi-Sher are set with 2 wounds each, while the Chosen of Sokar gets 4. It used to be the cheapoid of the bunch, now it's the uber-sarge.

Khadath and Ammat continue to rock the house.

Heroes: Thoth and the Reborn I've commented on. Netikerti is a respectable caster, and with a ranged attack and Defensive Shot no longer needs to spend points on basic attack spells, you can save her slots for the big flashy blow-stuff-up casting.

Soldiers: And here is the meat. Heavy Lancers are going to be very interesting, with First Strike and Shock, and are going to see a lot more action. Mounted Archers continue to be Gods. Tomb Guard are excellent as always.

Comparing Awakened and Dervishes, at the same point value: Awakened have Tough, Undead, a point higher MD, and an extra wound track; Dervishes have 2 higher Dis, 360, Fearless, Improved Charge, Raider, and Warmaster. Do I think this is an even trade? Probably. Would I have liked the Dervishes to be tougher, even if they cost 10 points more? Yes. :)

The general trend seems to be that living models will have fewer wounds than comparable undead models, but more versatility and special fu.

Felling of the Firstborn: Hmmm, fun. 1 damage to any 5 models, anywhere in the field... but only once.

That would be once per time it is cast...

The general trend seems to be that living models will have fewer wounds than comparable undead models, but more versatility and special fu.

But, I dont consider that to be a weakness. Especially when those less versatile models you are referring to have fearsome and DV13 deflect/2

Can you actually list a general weakness with Nefsokar?

That would be once per time it is cast...

It's a Unique Spell, you can only cast it once, I believe.

But, I dont consider that to be a weakness. Especially when those less versatile models you are referring to have fearsome and DV13 deflect/2

Hmmm... no. :)

Everything's expensive.

PS

Yeah, that's true Storm... I was going to go with something more like "You can't fit all of the faction's nastiness into the same list, so you've always got a hard choice about precisely how you'll kick butt. But maybe that doesn't count as a weakness.