I don't want Cher having that good an idea of what I might do. I'd rather she be surprised :lol: Besides, I was only really fishing for something that might give me an edge and thats wrong.

It's not wrong Chris, it's just silly to do it at a place where she's a Moderator and is going to read through most of the threads :lol:

I don't want Cher having that good an idea of what I might do. I'd rather she be surprised :lol: Besides, I was only really fishing for something that might give me an edge and thats wrong.

It's not wrong Chris, it's just silly to do it at a place where she's a Moderator and is going to read through most of the threads :lol:

Well it's not like I was trying to keep it a secret. I didn't call Pete or anything. :lol: But I got to thinking that you or Pete or someone who's played her might tell me something I would really have no way of knowing otherwise and thats just not fair and actually pretty petty and I was embarassed.

So... A discussion of Olords vs. Dwarves, sure. But lets keep it kinda general. ::): Evil, but with good sportsmanship. :lol:

My suggestion for beating Cher would be to field a troop of Skeeters on a level 5 hill with Ombur dropping Blesses and shoot the buggers to pieces. So I'm not going to be of much help :lol:

Ok, so each faction is suppose to have its strengths and weaknesses.

I have to admit, that as I was just starting to get more involved with Overlords before the changes.. If you had to pin me down to which faction I dislike the new version of the most, it would have to be the Overlords.

Now, I will be the first one to say that most of this is knee jerk reaction. But, that is why I am posting here to let other more experienced OL players slap me around a little.

In the 1.2 cards, the strengths were:

Lots of cool elites with high DVs, warmaster, and overall some of the best stats in the game (Ymirilix, Rogran, Soriel, etc..) but also a good mix of other above average elites to give lots of choices.

They also had the best cavalry units in the game prior to the changes in the Onyx Chevies.

And some of the toughest warriors yet still cheap, with their DV11 and MAV2.

And the newly introduced phalanx were a little slow, but packed a big punch to them.

Now, after the changes...

First let me say none of the changes are bad, they are all good, they just all seem to be a step below someone else. And before anyone says it, yes I get hung up on comparing specific models to specific models. Cause that is what I know from the first game.

All the elites still have warmaster and such, but now they all just seem to be a step behind their counterparts in terms of things like DV.

Balthon who was a CP 7 before is now only a CP 6. (and why cant evil clerics use Resurect?)

Both selthak and Lola, the best assassins in the game in the prior versions both now take back seats to the dwarven versions of the same with half the range and RAV (Kara critical shot to 7, Snorri critical shot to 8)

The Chevies are still good with their shock abilities, but take a back seat to the lion lancers and almost Nef lancers too

the warriors again are not bad, but just dont seem to have the same ooomph to them that they had in the prior version.. or atleast compared to the models that they used to dominate.

I can say I do like the speed change in the Xailor and the Golem.

Unlike the Crusader dogs that have a mov8 and only cost 25 points, I currentyl cant get behind the whip girls. I am sure they do a fantastic job of disabling if they can get into b2b, but witha DV9 with no deflect, it takes too much effort and support to get them across the board to use their talents.

Ok, so as I stated above, I REALLY DO want to think more of my overlords considering how much I hav bought and how much succes I was having with them in the 1.2 datacards. I am needing someone to slap me a round a little and start showing the strengths that I am not seeing or maybe just not valuing enough.

Thanks.

What I've found in this latest edition is that the Onyx Legion now lacks bite . Virtually every list one puts on the table should try to have a cleric . The Onyx Legion lacks these and with the ability of other leaders to take a "Book of Tactics" , the "Hunter's Edge" is not quite as effective as it once was .

Generally , I don't mind the changes and I find myself try to put in as many elites as I can because that is the Factions strength .

:devil:

What I've found in this latest edition is that the Onyx Legion now lacks bite . Virtually every list one puts on the table should try to have a cleric . The Onyx Legion lacks these and with the ability of other leaders to take a "Book of Tactics" , the "Hunter'd Edge" is not quite as effective as it once was .

Generally , I don't mind the changes and I find myself try to put in as many elites as I can because that is the Factions strength .

:devil:

Hmm. I've been thinking that clerics aren't nearly as important as they were...

@stubb: Overlords used to be so good they were almost embarrassing to play. The OL warriors were so outstanding that there was no point in taking any other model, except Xbows.

I think they're going to take more getting used to than a lot of other factions, but they aren't that bad. Sure Chevies are less than Lion's Lancers, but they're cheaper too. There's going to be a lot of that. Humans in general are less than other races, and pointed lower because of it.

PS

Although I've been around a while, I've only recently decided to play Warlord. What do you guys think of the changes to the Onyx Phalanx? They are now more expensive than the X-bows (51 pts vs. 48), and almost double the cost of Warriors (51 vs. 28).

I'v toyed with a 1000 pt build of 2 Onyx Golems, and as many x-bows as I can take. The plan would be to scatter them out and shoot at models that are in B2B with the Golems since Golems auto-succeed DIS rolls until way down on their wounds.

OR

Equal numbers of Phlanx and X-bows, and run them around in 2 or 4 man teams(or more for Lock Shields if the other army has shooters). The x-bow would stick to the phlanx's back to take advantage of Ranked. They would try and use Crit Shot as much as possible. This tactic would lose the reach bonuses.

OR

try the tactic as above except with Phalanx and Spearmen for cheap Reach bonus suppliers.

What do you guys think? I wish I had more chances to play, but being in law school and married with 3 kids really limits my play time.

I have played a mostly Phalanx army against Wildbill. The writing was on the wall after the first two turns, though they didn't go down easily. One big tactical error cost me Bile, after that he was able to grind me down. He did say later he was surprised at how tough the Phalanx were. Any thoughts?

I have played a mostly Phalanx army against Wildbill. The writing was on the wall after the first two turns, though they didn't go down easily. One big tactical error cost me Bile, after that he was able to grind me down. He did say later he was surprised at how tough the Phalanx were. Any thoughts?

Phalanxes are broken! BROKEN I say! :lol:

They are tough boogers to crack, let me tell you what. That particular game I had 10 bear riders running around, and got lucky Glen misjudged the charging distance of my bears. That enabled me to swarm and kil Bile in one turn. And, while the game was looking like it was starting to swing in my favor, he still had plenty of warriors and phalanxes left to ruin my day. We had to quit before playing to the man, so I think I was ahead at that point in time. Another turn or two? I don't know. I think it would have still been pretty close. <_<

Personally, I would take as many of the phalanxes that you can. Maybe throw in a couple of xbows just to keep your opponent honest. And one or two models that move really fast. That way you can run down that pesky cleric/mage that is behind their lines. ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

Wildbill and I played another game last night. 1000 points. My Onyx Legion vs. his Freelance army

I fielded 4 troops:

1) Andras, Arik Gix (Counterspell, Stun x 2), and 6 Onyx Phalanx (w/ musician)

2) Corvus, Onyx Phalanx x4

3) Onyx Golem

4) Onyx Golem

Wildbill fielded two troops:

1)Rauthuros (ack!) (1 bolt spell, which the %@##$ used to wound Arik on a defensive spell!), Balthon (Cure3 x 5), and Gargoyles x 3

2) Grave Horror

I actually won (my first victory ever), probably due more to Wildbill's horrific rolling than any superiority of troops, or brilliant strategy on my part. That being said, I don't think I made any big mistakes. The game ended with only 4 Phalanx and Arik (neither Stun affected any models) left.

Wildbill called his army a 'gimmick' army, but the gimmick was his rolling, not his army. The only Cure3 spell that was successfully cast was Balthon healing himself.

I am liking the Onyx Phalanx more and more. Wildbill suggested taking a couple of X-bows to keep people honest. I'll try and squeeze in an offensive spell for the mage also.