Sign in to follow this  
Emmel Eitch

Craclaw (1.2)

The crossbowman never had a chance to take out the demon?

1st activation: demon flew forward and let loose a lightning bolt taking down 3 phalanx and 2 crossbowmen.

2nd: tough checks (1 phalanx stands) phalanx and crossbows move forward to get into range and shoot at dv 14 flying demon (need 10's to hit) and all three miss.

the rest of the activations are all maneuver.

round 2: crossbows shoot and move (all miss and try to spread out).

demon takes out most of the phalanx with his next lightning bolt. i think i had a damage merak and 1 phalanx left.

the chevy misses with first strike on a warrior and the count only takes out one warrior, the rest of the zephyrs manage to take down one more warrior, but all the warriors stand back up because of pain tokens.

the darkspawn then swarmed the cavalry and that was game, pretty much. we played a little more, but it was a blood bath.

Ouch! :wacko:

What did you learn from this? What would you have done differently?

Ouch! :wacko:

What did you learn from this? What would you have done differently?

First, drop the Cavalry sure they can get places fast but points are better spent protecting your phalanx.

Second, bring a mage with dispels. In a 1000 pt game you can bring andras, a bunch of phalanx, arik with dispels and a couple of LTs and two corvus' with warriors and crossbowmen to fill in the rest of the points.

You might be able to squeeze in a chevy with horseshoes of the nightmare (or whatever they are called) just in case you want to charge in an tie up the flying beastie.

Here's a hypothetical:

Let's say you had 7,000 points to play with and were going to play Dwarves. What would you field and why?

Old or new cards?

Right off the top of my head:

I would take either Ashkrypt or Zora and hordes of bondslaves. Tough is negated against Dwarves, so there's little reason to take models with it. Overlord Warriors become the bodyguard of the warlord. Two full units of Overlord Crossbows and as much magic as possible: Arik, Kevis (probably multiple), Balthon, and probably envn Ranthe and Stratch. Swarm them with slaves and pound them with magic.

The Iron Gate style sometimes works with numerous high-DV units in close formation, but once the Dwarves break it, you're done.

Here's a hypothetical:

Let's say you had 7,000 points to play with and were going to play Dwarves. What would you field and why?

Make your own list ::P:

:lol:

Here's a hypothetical:

I'm watching this. ::):

(for those of you watching from the sidelines, Spartan & I have a game planned for ReaperCon, I play Dwarves. See the humor in my post now? I'm not wearing a MOD hat, I'm being a regular folk ::): )

Here's a hypothetical:

I'm watching this. ::):

(for those of you watching from the sidelines, Spartan & I have a game planned for ReaperCon, I play Dwarves. See the humor in my post now? I'm not wearing a MOD hat, I'm being a regular folk ::): )

Don't worry Lady Storm! I have your back at ReaperCon vs the evil Overlords! :devil:

:lol:

Wild Bill :blues:

Well, obviously opinions will change with the new card set, but at least with the current cardset, I would say go with lots of crossbows ranked behind a Phalanx line. head to head, the overlord crossbows are better than dwarf crossbows due to higher DV and deflect. And with 7000 you can take multiple ranks of such groupings. By and large dwarves are currently also more susceptible to magic and overlords have lots of magic capable characters. Whether it be from teleporting someone behind the lines to attack enemy characters, or letting the dwarves charge your phalanx line and then hitting them with a lightning bolt down the line.

Then, as Cristo pointed out use bonslaves and slave survivors to even out the numbers. Using them more as yor own version of the elven speedbumps.

No doubt you will have to face a multitude of bears with such numbers. That is just where you will have to remember that they are solos and can only act one at a time, so try not to let them stay in formation too long. You could use a solo or two of your own or one of your heros with warmaster and moderate weapon increases, or just eh slaves with a battle totem to give them a spark.

You'll need to make sure you keep tabs on the Griffon trying to take out your caster too fast. But, with the power of "do your duty" you should be able to get around that. Actually come to think of it, make sure to not forget to use "do your duty". It can be very helpful in long drawn out battles.

I have had decent success with horses when it comes to objective and scenario based games, but head to head games, they just have not proven their worth as much, other than for the quick charge to try and tackle an enemy caster or two.

Bile would be a question mark for me in a game like that. With that many points worth of stuff on the table, you could easily hide Bile in there. and take advantage of his poison strikes, but I imagine he would also get mowed down pretty fast from swarms when he ever did land. The hope is that you would be able to hit and poison enough models to make him worth his points. Heck, you could always just use him to take out the griffon. They would be fairly even.

Here's a hypothetical:

At 7000 points?

Everything I own. :lol:

PS

Here's a hypothetical:

At 7000 points?

Everything I own. :lol:

PS

Thanks Pete, that's a HUGE help. :lol:

Let me be more specific. Lets say you had the models and could field 7,000+ of the Onyx Legion list. Your mages are Arik and Strach. You don't have Balthon or Ashkrypt. Can Onyx Legionaires and Overlord grunts and crossbowman and spearman and cavalry and monsters beat an equivalent points of Dwarves? ( new cards )

And yes, I'm looking for pointers to whip Cheryl at RCon. :lol:

well i would do what stubbdog said. . .lots of phalanx with crossbowmen lined up behind them and just let the little guys come to you. with lock shield they can't touch you phalanx with their crossbows and they'll take a -2RAV when shooting at your crossbows with indirect fire. . .not to mention being only 12" away. oh wait, 7000 pts probably isn't going to be as many models as it used to be :blush: . either way a couple troops like this with some cavalry for support. throw in bile to handle any flying beasties. casters. . .you could field multiples of kevis just for their defensive magic capabilities behind each troop of phalanx and crossbows. healing is where you fall short. as the battle lines close you're not going to be able to heal like the dwarves can.

Gentlemen and ladies..

I withdraw the question. ::):

I don't want Cher having that good an idea of what I might do. I'd rather she be surprised :lol: Besides, I was only really fishing for something that might give me an edge and thats wrong.