Port Gangrel (1.2)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Rythian, I want the Lupines.

I am just a tad frustrated is all. I love the game and am just now getting ready to do my first official Army, but now It will be freelance. I love mercs in all formats (and am probably Bobby Jackson’s # 1 fan). The idea of having humans and werewolves together is just plain cool. It seems that freelance companies have a stigma for being potentially unbalanced (read: all adept archers).

That and it really doesn’t make sense to separate the two. Unless they do a separate Lupine army book. Like I said, there are only 4 lupine models with only 3 stat cards. How can you even do a 1500 pt Lupine army?

But overall I am rather pleased with the changes and the fact that Reaper actually listens to us. That goes a VERY long way in my book. And it IS legal to just go freelance. How cool is that? Can’t combine army lists in other games I play.

Well Stubby, having seen all other lines increase the number of models as books come out, I'm pretty positive there will be more models for the Lupine line (probably wolves will be added as well). And as far as certain mercs not playing well with other Mercs. Or different Merc companies, I can see that without batting an eye. The cost of the Lupines, especially if they start adding things like Sgts, cpts, other elites and solo's, means that force will be small regardless, so you won't have quitel the variety, but you'll have tough models. I'd almost like to see this, in bigger games, that you can start combining Merc groups as small Merc compainies gather into a larger force, while retaining the faction ability.

Oh, and just so ya know, I just don't care about freelance companies, you want to do it, cool. Most of the folks in our neck of the woods I don't think would bring the all archer army you speak of. Guess we just have good guys.

Stubby, remember also if you ever use Orba and his faction you have the "change of heart" faction SA that allows you to convert a single data card to his faction and alignment without losing your scoundrel's luck ability. So, you could change the lupine rager over and use them with Orba.

In looking at the datacards at this moment the mercs are very limited but that's changing pretty quick so we all gotta practice a little patience and give them time to release the new mercs. And remember too that until the book comes out there's nothing to prevent you from playing your current merc army as is.

Also, as a side note, some of us were talking to EE last weekend during the Asylum tourney and asked about possibly allowing mercs to hire other mercs and stuff so there is hope there. Or there's always the freelance option where you can use them together anyway, no biggie. We Mercs are flexible not nothing else. *smile*

I can also feel your frustration Stubby only it's much worse for me. I've been playing mercs for a couple years now and have quite a collection of models and all the combos I currently use will become pretty much useless once our faction book comes out. It'll just mean I'll have to be more creative and expand my way of thinking and my army a bit more. It's all good though. It just means I have more than a one trick pony and will keep people guessing what I'll bring to the table night in and night out.

During the tournament today I was playing against a Lupine player. He thought he could use scoundrel's luck since that is one of the Merc SA's but it turned out that that one too is tied to Orba. With the segregation of the Mercs what SA's do they get? Does anyone who isn't Orba's crew get hosed? Right now it seems as if you aren't taking Orba you might as well just go freelance. I know this sounds harsh but what is a players incentive to play one of the sub groups (such as Lupines) other than they look cool? Any thoughts or official response?

I would hazard a guess to say... wait for the Mercenary book. ^_^

Or at least wait until it gets into serious playtesting and Michael gives some sneak peak of what the subfactions of Mercenaries might be, like we have when the other Factions have had a big chunk of their models out but the book wasn't ready.

During the tournament today I was playing against a Lupine player. He thought he could use scoundrel's luck since that is one of the Merc SA's but it turned out that that one too is tied to Orba. With the segregation of the Mercs what SA's do they get? Does anyone who isn't Orba's crew get hosed? Right now it seems as if you aren't taking Orba you might as well just go freelance. I know this sounds harsh but what is a players incentive to play one of the sub groups (such as Lupines) other than they look cool? Any thoughts or official response?

I would honestly say that the Mercenary faction is dead for at least the next 6 months (absolute minimum). When the Merc faction book comes out, then they'll be good to go again.

Until then, I would just stick to freelance instead of Merc.

First new model's Data Card has been posted up on Warlord HQ - Arik Tellazar.

His white is shown in the Mercenary section

His stats:

Sinhan, Unique Hero, 3 tracks, 175 points

#MA 3, Mov 6, Dis 9, Mav 4, DV 11, MD 13

SA: 360, Fearless, First Strike, Ronin, Tough/3, Warmaster

Bloody vegomatic this one.

Haven't seen the stats for the other new members of the crew so far. I am guessing Boris Mingla and the Pirates will be associated with the Hanged Men.

I'll probably start up a pirate crew once more of those minis come out, but they'll have to get in line after my Elven core, expanded Overlords, Rezolution C.S.O. Peacekeepers, and Skinny Guard and Venerables.

Either way, the Mercs are fast becoming one of the best factions in my opinion. The sheer amount of variety alone makes me rub my hands together with glee...

Sinhan, Unique Hero, 3 tracks, 175 points

#MA 3, Mov 6, Dis 9, Mav 4, DV 11, MD 13

SA: 360, Fearless, First Strike, Ronin, Tough/3, Warmaster

Can't say I care for the model, but the statistics look nice. I'm a Big fan of Sir Dauron, and this guy is very much in his mold; just slightly different enough that I can't cry cookie cutter though thankfully (Give me +1 DV and Horrid any day over +1 Mov, +1 MD and 360 though).

Sorry for the late post on this Outkast. This is what I know. I spoke with EE about a couple months ago. Basically he said the rule in the main book still applies until the Merc faction book comes out (i.e. you must still field Orba to receive the Merc Faction SAs). He did say not to worry as each subfaction of the Mercs will get their own SAs when the book comes out (the Lupine SAs are gonna be too cool). But until then we Mercs are stuck with the current rule.... :down:

And EE, if you're reading this... I still want that Bladesister Cavalry or Solo unit riding some exotic animal like a tiger. ::D: