Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Reptus Discussion

I know some of the new Nagendra are coming out but The pics i've seen so far pale in comparison to the snakemen in theDHL line.

I like the idea of a less rounded fig. that keeps with the Reptus' "pointy" look

I would like to use this fig. for a new nagendra leader or solo, but for now is my proxy for Ssathuss.

I am pretty clear on the guidelines for proxys, but where do the rules stand on creating entirely new characters and data cards to go with them?

I love the reptus minis. That said, I like the DHL lizards even more. I must confess I have been using lizardmen w/ spears for spearmen. Once my order gets in I will use lizardmen w/ two-handed clubs for breakers. When you paint them they match the other reptus perfectly fine. Not only that but they are a buck or two cheaper per mini, and in many cases are better sculpts.

I like to think of the high armor of the grunts to be a security blanket.

A warriors 11DV + Deflect acts as a wall of anti arrows.

Solos have 12, 13 and 14 DV.

None of our grunts have a DV lower than 9.

And don't forget speed can be very useful for closing the gap. The upcoming reven book might help us with new spells also.

I think in the future I see the reptus with a better cleric, the fluff seems to make them somewhat ritualistic and even mentions a high priest of some sort. That and their faction spell is a cleric spell, and their only mages appear to be Nagendra.

I also see our faction ability getting a boost, since half of it is only good in a single type of game and the other requires a bit of sacrifice to use. But that time will come, for now we deal with what we've got.

As for troop compisitions:

I love to include Uru. His high DV can keep a troop of enemies busy for a few rounds, and a single bandage can bring him up to full power after he gets smacked. So just when your opponet thinks the hard part is over, he's back up and running.

I have recently been playing with two T'kays and finding that it works very well. Placing 3 or 4 bandages on each is like having 8 more warriors or breakers on the field and that still allows you to take a Grade 2 spell if you want. Then when you're out of spells, T'kay can rush in and crush some skulls and feed the young.

We also have nice archers. Don't shun the short range, marksmen + RAV 2 is a scary scary thing, add in our 9 DV and you have quite the ranged force. Take a hill, keep some warriors around to protect them, and enjoy pelting some enemies with the scales of payanak.

Hexx,

I know you didnt win the thing at GenCon, but you mind posting up your thoughts here...

What was your force list for it? How did you use them?

Well, this was my warband for the setup, 750pts, no Warlords, 2 troop max.

Troop 1

Chai-Uut (Khong-to proxy)

T'Kay (4 bandages)

3 Warriors

5 Breakers

Troop 2

Chai-Uut (Breaker standard bearer proxy)

T'Kay (4 bandages)

3 Warriors

3 Breakers

2 Archers

In the final there were 2 ranged armies. I completely destroyed the one I faced off against in the beginning. Warriors up front as a missile screen (11 DV + deflect = bulletproof), Breakers behind, leaders and clerics behind them, archers spread out in back taking pot shots.

The warriors are fast at a 6" for being heavily armored and can really move across the field. They don't hit well, but with the longstrikers coming out they can have some nice support bonuses from units with the same speed. Breakers should be protected while they come up and then team up on solos and elites. My breakers took down the Lupine lord in one round once.

With both the Warriors and Breakers being tough, it makes it pretty easy to heal them with T-Kay. She only needs a 3 w/ no equipment to get someone up. Preferably Breakers if you are forced into a choice. With a lesser mag. emp. you can only miss on a 1 and you can pick up 2 downed grunts per round.

Reptus archers are excellent. Nothing too fancy, just marksman, which makes them worth their weight in gold. A 2 RAV is nothing to sneeze at. In the tourney both mine took out Skeeters and then killed on defensive shots which is totally worth it still. They also have a higher DV than most archers.

Khong To is totally worth taking Gtr. Magic Weapon. With First Strike he can take down an uninjured Warlord or put a nasty solo down to his last track with no chance of being hit back if you're lucky. You could even take down that 5 track solo if you've cast Crimson Embrace on him.

All the solos are high DV, high MAV. Uru is not a Beast, so give him some armor and a weapon and he'll never get hit. It's worth putting your Divine Favor on him to negate that lucky "10" someone will roll.

The heroes have Warmaster. Ra'am is only 53 pts. 'Nuff said.

Basically, Reptus are very well rounded with exceptional defense but very respectable melee. They seem weak in ranged, but are better off than Nefsokar, Crusaders, Dwarves, Necropolis, and the Overlords in that area.

How's that?

Khong To is totally worth taking Gtr. Magic Weapon. With First Strike he can take down an uninjured Warlord or put a nasty solo down to his last track with no chance of being hit back if you're lucky.
I'm pretty sure that First Strike only worked with your first attack, meaning the only time a model does not get a defensive strike is if they are on their last DT or only have 1 DT.

All the solos are high DV, high MAV. Uru is not a Beast, so give him some armor and a weapon and he'll never get hit. It's worth putting your Divine Favor on him to negate that lucky "10" someone will roll.
Solos can't take Divine Favor, it's Leaders and Elites only, at least I think so.

Question: Do you guys think the Reptus Long Strikers are worth the points? They cost a bit more than normal because of their 360, and have a lower MAV than most Reach units. Thought?

First strike works against one target. Not one attack. If you focus all your attacks on one target, they don't get any strikes. If he split them between many targets, only one wouldn't get defensive strikes.

You're right about Divine Favor.

Longstrikers will be useful only in use with Warriors IMO.

You had a lot of good points Hexxen ::D:. Only thing I wanted to add was some First Strike clarifications: 1) If you eliminate a model with your first strike attacks they don't get defensive strikes; if you don't, they can attack back, and 2) the multiple targets thing basically means you can only use First Strike against one target per turn; you could say allocate one attack each on three grunts but only gain the First Strike bonus on one of them. Taken from p. 69, under first strike, first sentence for 1), eigth and ninth for 2).

I love capitalizing on speed. Give a group of wariors movement upgrade and put in a musician as well as T'Kay equiped with a speed spell and *poof* Mov 9.

If you have some archers to lay down supressive fire, you can really close a gap quickly (even more so on Reptus home turf - god bless marshwalking).

Quick retraction; I braindumped during lunch today, Reptus started with 16 models instead of the 12 I had said before. I don't see how core Reptus fair poorly to other armies in options DChihorn ::D:.

well, thats kinda just it, i havent figured out what their play style is yet...

From what I can tell so far, they are a decent melee group. Weak on range stuff.

Thats about all I can tell so far.

They dont have the cross the river stuff to help them get into melee better. They dont have anything that weakens their enemy by default (bane, sokar, necros fear,etc..). They dont ave a cleric that can teleport anyone to melee. They dont have flyers or burrowers to be able to mess with the other teams elites while you are trying to get your troops across the field. Only have archers for ranged combat and even then their archers dont have much range compared to other factions. They only have one mage and one cleric so cant really evaluate that area too well yet.

Basically, so far from what I can see they are a straight forward run up and try and smack you group. No fluff but no security blanket either.

But, they also have some of the coolest minis in my opinion.

As far as I can tell, the Reptus are very hard to beat on their home turf given their marshwalker ability and most swampy terrain offers too much cover for archers to be at their peak. Unfortunately, I have only played my reptus once in such a setting and they mopped the floor (or swamp) with crusader snacks (the armor gives them that extra crunch). In open field battles, they have few discernable advantages. The best thing I can say there is that their warriors are a hard lot to hit but no more so than most of the enemy adepts.

The bottom line: Reptus are fun to play because you are the underdog and when you win, you get to eat the dead.(not to mention do the Kong-To victory dance) If you lose, you can come here and expound as to why. Dispite all their apparent shortcomings, Reptus rock! They aren't weak, but you definately have to earn your victories.

Thanks for the clairification on First Strike guys. I can see the benifit of Greater Mag. Weapon more clearly now. Although pushing 400 points on a single unit still doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. What point games do you guys play when you invest in Khong-To like that?

1500 minimum probably. Remember that (so far) it's easy for the Reptus to fight the desire to load up on expensive spells being a fairly magic poor faction. Those points can be spent guilt free in other areas like Gtr Mag Weapon and expensive archers.

Basically, Reptus are very well rounded with exceptional defense but very respectable melee. They seem weak in ranged, but are better off than Nefsokar, Crusaders, Dwarves, Necropolis, and the Overlords in that area.

How's that?

Overlord crossbowmen have short range, but once they close, no archers in the game can trade shots with them. RAV 3 and DV 10 is brutal.

Now back to Reptus. The longstrikers should be able to do the double support trick with the 360. If both longstrikers engage and are side by side, they can declare their "rear side" to each other, grant each other 1 point support for being in base to base and a second point of support for granting each other Reach.

I think the Reptus require more grunt mixing than other factions. Crusaders can simply stack knights, Reven can go with Bull Orc fighters, etc. Reptus really need to get a good mix of warriors, breakers and longstrikers (with rangers optional) to be effective. I haven't played them yet, but that's my sense of things.

PS

Is that double support thing legal?!?!? It smells of cheese, but what a great trick! I take back anything bad I said about longstrikers!

And yeah, grunt mixing will be a must I think. 3 Warriors, 3 longstrikers, and 3 breakers per full troop will be nasty.