Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Reptus Discussion

Recommended Posts

Uru and his band of moldy brothers are a good distraction no matter where you play. :ph34r:

 

Not much of a distraction here. An iceshard immediately followed up by an average of two arrow shots drops the glass jaw trolls. Not worth taking them any more unless I am prepared to: bring a cleric with Cure (expensive and 80% chance of success, 90% with LME) risk a tough check & bring a cleric with Bandage (only 24% chance of success, 27% chance with LME) or keep the trolls away from any mages at all cost. They're great until your opponent figures out their weakness, however.

 

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, considering the average mage out there is CP 7, against Uru they need a 7 or better (40% chance of success), and a 5 or better against regular River Trolls (60% chance of success). I wouldn't call these brilliant odds, and if they are focusing their mage's attention there (rather than say, casting a Fireball or something similar - that would likely have a 70-80% chance of success - at my grunts), then that qualifies as an excellent distraction in my book. While they are doing that, the rest of my army is tearing its way across the battlefield. They may have taken down *a* troll, but now I'm in B2B, I probably have at least one more troll (depending on the points value), and I have numbers on my side.

 

I believe the phrase is "damned if you do, damned if you don't" ::P:

 

~v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree, if a Mage and archers are attacking a Troll it is often worth losing the Troll simply because he is absorbing firepower, when you bring along a low cost Solo they are often only there as a distraction.

 

If you want the Trolls to be really effective in terms of them having a real impact on combat, I think you would have to hit the field with at least 3 of them in a 1000 point game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you want the Trolls to be really effective in terms of them having a real impact on combat, I think you would have to hit the field with at least 3 of them in a 1000 point game.

I love the look of 3 trolls on the field, it actually makes Uru feel like a chief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, considering the average mage out there is CP 7, against Uru they need a 7 or better (40% chance of success), and a 5 or better against regular River Trolls (60% chance of success). I wouldn't call these brilliant odds, and if they are focusing their mage's attention there (rather than say, casting a Fireball or something similar - that would likely have a 70-80% chance of success - at my grunts), then that qualifies as an excellent distraction in my book. While they are doing that, the rest of my army is tearing its way across the battlefield. They may have taken down *a* troll, but now I'm in B2B, I probably have at least one more troll (depending on the points value), and I have numbers on my side.

 

My point is that my enemies are no longer scared of the trolls, so they are not much of a distraction. First, Uru is MD 12 and the mundanes are MD 11, so they much easier to shard than your numbers suggest (you used DV). Second, since my opponent knows what works, they are not in a panic; try the ice shard and if it doesn't work, shoot other soft targets with the archers that turn then try the ice shard again next turn. They were much more of a distraction when my opponents wasted all of their archery trying to knock the first wound off of Uru. Now they know that they just have to use a magic attack to get to Dmg 1 and then the trolls are cream puffs.

 

In our usual lower point games, a mage will only have one fireball/firestorm which only requires one turn to use up. Since my opponents feel confident that they can now take out trolls eventually, an enemy mage is in no way distracted from using that one AoE spell effectively in between taking out trolls. Trolls are not a distraction for archers since the archers now just ignore the trolls until they are at Dmg 1 at which point it only requires two shots on average to finish it off (one marksman archer or two dancing archers for a single turn.)

 

My personal opinion is that trolls would be much better if they only had one damage track instead of two. They are extremely easy to drop while on their last damage track, and a tough check/bandage after being brought down only brings them back up to that crippled state as opposed to a one track Model that comes back at full strength. It's ironic that having two damage tracks makes them weaker than if they just had one.

 

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thats why i think its cool that Uru is not BEAST. Cause I like to put a moderate magic prtn upgrade on him for a nominal fee and he still more than pays for it in his kills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to bring t'kay as a bandage machine. And since those trolls are so tall, it isn't hard to see them. When one gets hit the first time, just bandage it.

 

trolls are with out a doubt one of the most effective units we have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I like to bring t'kay as a bandage machine. And since those trolls are so tall, it isn't hard to see them. When one gets hit the first time, just bandage it.

 

trolls are with out a doubt one of the most effective units we have.

This is exactly what I do also.

 

Also, remember that if a mage is trying to move into range to hit your troll with a spell, then he could be bringing himself out in the open for some of your archers. This is what I mean by a distraction, the mage fires at the troll because that's what your enemy is worried about. They sometimes forget about your Nai-Khannon or your archers about to take a hill.

 

And if you can't heal the troll, go suicidal. The enemy will usually ignore him for the rest of the round thinking he is a given death, this leaves you with the perfect opportunity to charge someone and get your two attacks off, and even wounded; trolls still have an awesome MAV.

 

Don't play with them if your group counters them constantly, but Trolls have literally won me games. Solos are harder to use in general effeciantly in general.

 

I'm praying that in the Reptus book, Uru can act as a sargent for trolls... It would be beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My personal opinion is that trolls would be much better if they only had one damage track instead of two. They are extremely easy to drop while on their last damage track, and a tough check/bandage after being brought down only brings them back up to that crippled state as opposed to a one track Model that comes back at full strength. It's ironic that having two damage tracks makes them weaker than if they just had one.

 

Rich

 

Heal your Trolls when they take their first point of damage, if you are able to. I agree they come back fairly wimpy on their last damage track, and if I didn't have the healing abilities to get them back on their feet at their best track within a couple of turns I'd just leave it up to the Tough rolls. Whether you can be convinced of it or not, for a mere 52 points Trolls are a steal. Think of the points your opponent needs to invest in a Mage and Archers just to pull of the above tactic to kill a measley 52 point model. I'm guessing you're playing against Elves or Reven, as not many other forces can put decent ranged archers and high CP Mages onto the field without sinking a tonne of points (Necropolis for example). How do your Trolls go against other opponents and armies?

 

Not everything and every unit is best suited to fight every faction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I stand corrected about the MDs on the trolls; I wasn't looking at the stats when I wrote that, and guessed at values. By the point still stands about being a distraction; yes, given enough time and spells, your opponent can pick apart your trolls. But he'll be doing it at the expense of ignoring the rest of your army. The Reptus are relatively quick, and can cross most battlefields in 2 rounds. If you've got 2 or 3 cheap solos out there, you make them commit to trying to take them down, or getting out of the numerical hole you should have them in (cheap solos mean you should have more grunts than they do, unless you've spent too much on spells or other expensive models). Wanna take down my trolls? Go right ahead, but while your doing it, I'm gonna be swarming your grunts and making them pay.

 

And I agree; fielding 2 or more (3 to 4 in the 1000-1500pt range) is the way to go.

 

~v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think my dwarves were too distracted by the trolls last time they played against lizards, and if I remember there were at least four if not five of them. My dwarves up against trolls are just like chopping down trees except they make squealing noises while you’re chopping them. You know what they say, the bigger they are... ::P:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Heal your Trolls when they take their first point of damage, if you are able to.

 

I am not able to. The mage and the archers are in the same troop, so it is a 1-2 punch; the second

punch (archers) doesn't happen unless the first punch (mage) lands successfully.

 

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't think my dwarves were too distracted by the trolls last time they played against lizards, and if I remember there were at least four if not five of them. My dwarves up against trolls are just like chopping down trees except they make squealing noises while you’re chopping them. You know what they say, the bigger they are... tongue.gif

 

 

but if i remember correctly, your crossbows spent 3 or 4 turns worrying about Uru, and not taking the 6 or 7 inches of movement that would have put the khonger in range. That 70 point distraction tied up something like nine crossbowmen.

 

 

O well, I still lost <_<

 

 

::P:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't think my dwarves were too distracted by the trolls last time they played against lizards, and if I remember there were at least four if not five of them. My dwarves up against trolls are just like chopping down trees except they make squealing noises while you’re chopping them. You know what they say, the bigger they are... tongue.gif

 

 

but if i remember correctly, your crossbows spent 3 or 4 turns worrying about Uru, and not taking the 6 or 7 inches of movement that would have put the khonger in range. That 70 point distraction tied up something like nine crossbowmen.

 

 

O well, I still lost <_<

 

 

::P:

 

I don't know if it was 3 or 4 (seemed more like 2 or 3) but yeah, Uru is a worry. But I don't know if I ever was able to fire all of my xbows at any single target except for maybe on one turn. However as you saw all I needed was the bear, a couple of stray xbows, and my cleric (ok,ok and some dice luck) to take out your warlord. Yep my dwarves got some nice lizard hide boots, belts, plus purses for the Shieldmaidens that day.

 

So you ready for Thursday night? I'm thinkin some lizard skin cloaks would be nice for my dwarves :poke:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×