Reptus Discussion

I have not had great success with a single troll. But, when able to field a pair of them, has met with great success. same reasons as given, they tend to survive for a couple of turns against normal foes or atleast draw enough fire from archers and such to allow other army members an easier march.

Biggest problem I have had with the trolls is simply trying to figure out how to best use the solos as part of the larger group in terms of actual melee combat. Sounds simple enough, but has been rather difficult at times to actually fit them together. Warriors by nature have a great defense just like trolls. They dont have the MAV of a troll, but they have the ability to get support thru numbers and movement.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the troll to smack down on that leader model. Sergeants and captains cost as much or more than a troll but aren't that much tougher (this is probably because you are paying points for the leadership ability).

Any word yet on the stats for lesser reptus w/ spears?

Trolls in with troops is great ibn that they march across the field with a troop of grunts in tow, and he is like a 700lb. meat shield of fury. He can shatter enemy lines and give archers fits. Mages have to send out their 75 pointers to stop the troop. The best part is, the beastly charge when the troll gets within 10 inches.

Another good strat is where a bunch of trolls (3-4) hang out with the Krungy Bear and march into the heart of the battle. When they get there, everyone scotters and its really fun to watch 5 models contain the battlefield. Send in the warriors and breakers to clean up with Khong-to and the enemy spends the afterlife wondering what the heck happened.

I love the above strat if Ssudai is on the field because you can fireball right into the swarms around your trolls and kill all the baddies while they actually protect the troll from the effect. Trolls are a great way to draw clusters together for extermination. Uru isn't as good at this due to cost. Make Uru Khongs bodyguard and watch them wade into the enemy for a bloodbath. Reptus have some really cool basic strats that are overlooked by the complexity of many of the other factions.

Love Thy Lizard :wub:

How are you squeezing in 3-5 solos in an army with Ssaudia? How many points are you playing?

The only problem I see with the strategy above is that you have to spend 5 turns trying to move those models all at the same time, other wise they are going to get seperated and picked off.

I use my trolls and solos like assassins. They take cover behind terrain, or other troops(it might sound goofy for a troll, but it keeps them from being seperated). Once they are within charging range, I unleash them. Not expecting them to live very long but they should take down at least 1 or 2 models with them.

You will also notice your enemy now has odd gaps in his formation because he had to deal with the trolls. Uru works perfectly for this, he will require quite a few models to take him down, making the primary force weaker... Divide and conquer.

Also, never be afraid to bandage a troll. One damage track means alot for these guys, I don't recommend bringing them back from a stun, but if they are hit once patch em up and continue the terror.

Some things I try not to do with them include:

Don't let them charge a troop on their own, they will get slaughtered. Keep them close to something at all times.

Engage the enemy, do not let them attack you first. You only get ONE defensive strike. You should take your TWO normal attacks.

I would recomend bringing 'em back from a stun. Even a hurt troll is more valuable than your average grunt.

on a side note, I picked up 2 packs of ranger-snakes at a con this weekend for halfprice. These (as with the other snakes) look much better in person than on their card. I didn't have much luck with them when I proxied them out before, but maybe having six in a group will make the difference. What do you think is the best use of these guys? Put them up against mean troops (crimson knights, breakers, etc.) and their lower defenses will possibly lead to a waste of points. Put them up against weak things ( goblins, skeletons, etc) and their two attack may not be used to full potential, thus leading to a waste of points.

OK, ideas for using the Nagendra Rangers with regards to low cost mob type models (like Goblins):

DV 9 isn't that shabby, especially against something like Goblins, I don't think your two attacks would be wasted in the least against a troop of goblins, as goblins are forced to use mob tactics to try and bring models down. Meaning there will almost certainly be opportunity to base and kill multiple goblins with your two attacks, and even if you arn't able to base multiple low DV defenders, two attacks gives you a heck of a chance to kill such a model in one turn without requiring you to use mob tactics.

In opportunities where you are able to use 'Aura of the Jade Thorn', you become a nightmare for low cost models to try and take out. DV 11 vs. defensive attacks means you don't have to worry too terribly about using your multiple attacks against different models, and each model getting to defensive strike you back.

In addition, 360 gives to a level of protection against mob tactics used by models like the Goblins, since they are unable to gain the vital +1 rear attack bonus against you.

I'd have to say a unit of Ssathuss + 6-9 Rangers is quite capable of inflicting alot of damage on any sort of low DV unit. And with Ranger + 6 move (maybe bolstered by a 'Part' spell cast early in the game) they can cross the field in short order, if there is cover available, they might make excellent archer hunters.

Reptus Rangers vs. 'mean troops'

I don't think using them in this role is out of the real of possibility, but I don't believe they would be capable of taking down your opponents heavy hitters without the help of either numbers (and at their high points cost they are unlikely to have this advantage), or as part of a combined action (this I see a a pretty viable tactic). Use a small group of Warriors to lock the opposing 'mean troops' into melee (preventing them from moving easily), and follow up with the Rangers coming in on your next card, using their high movement to gain excellent position,; their two attacks + MAV 2 + support from the Warriors + hopefully a rear attack bonus should make for a good chance of inflicting alot of damage.

One thing you havn't mentioned, which I think the Rangers might be exceptional at, is character killing, and solitaire hunting (I think any 2 attack gruntwith ok MAV is good at this when they have decent numbers onthe field). Even if they arn't able to immediately and directly able to get to such models, they certainly would be able to force the flow of play, as your opponent wouldn't be able to ignore them; he'd either have to try and deal with them, or have to try and avoid them.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

So I'm a new player, I haven't even SEEN a copy of the rulebook yet, there aren't many flgs in Salt Lake ('tis a silly place) I am still starting the game (joy!) Also, seeing as I have a very limited budget (the joys of being a poor college student) what would you recommend as a small, well rounded force for a beginning player?

The next paycheck goes towards the book, so I should hope to have some idea what everything means shortly.

--Nate

So I'm a new player, I haven't even SEEN a copy of the rulebook yet, there aren't many flgs in Salt Lake ('tis a silly place) I am still starting the game (joy!) Also, seeing as I have a very limited budget (the joys of being a poor college student) what would you recommend as a small, well rounded force for a beginning player?

The next paycheck goes towards the book, so I should hope to have some idea what everything means shortly.

--Nate

I assume you are already decided on Reptus for your faction (as this is the scaly folk forum). I strongly reccomend the Reptus starter army box set as seen here.

I would also reccomend maybe a river troll (or Uru) and if you are after a strong second troop go for Audt and a couple blisters of Skullbreakers. (or Ssathus and some Nagendra Rangers).

This will give you a pretty regular 750 - 1000 point force and keep your cost under $100 for start-up. (Two good troops a solo and the rulebook. Prices may vary but feel free to PM me if you would like a recommendation for an online store (since you said you don't really have an FLGS)

I apologize for any poor sentence structure, grammar, or spelling. It is late.

Just got back from a game using the rangers. They got raped. But not raped by any old opponent, they got raped by PANZIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They double moved into contact with the elven warriors, and 2 turns later there was 1 dead elf archer, 2 dead elf warriors, and a wounded sarge, AND 5 DEAD NAGENDRA PLUS SSATHUSS WHO HAD ALREADY BEEN COUPED!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still had fun though. My necro ally and myself lost to the panzies and tincans (elves and crusaders) but it was one of the most enjoyable games of warlord I have ever participated in.

It was good to use my newly painted unit, but I will probably just take more breakers and warriors in the future.

Still have hopes for that anti-ent squad.

As for our newest reptus recruit...

WELCOME MADCOBAIA. Get the box set and some breakers. I would also recomend Uru (the troll king. As others have said before me, his presence alone can win battles) and Ssudai. Ssudai is an (sorry if you knew this already) inexpensive mage with 7cp (this means he is pretty good at casting spells) and he is also level three (so he can cast the really mean ones.)

You should also make a totem of battle (you'll learn all about these when you read the rulebook) because we reptus seem to benefit extra much from their advantages.

Welcome Madcobaia! I'm one of those two people who are within 100 miles of you. I assume that you are going to the U for school? There is a hobby store in midvale that has the rulebook(first edition) in stock and regularly gets in reaper product. They are Hastur Hobbies at 6831 S. State St. For somewhere in Salt Lake you could probably have the Hammond Toys in the Crossroads Mall order stuff in for you.

I go to Weber State and don't have a lot of time to battle, but give me a PM any time you are available and I'll try to work it into my schedule.

@ Moosey, That sucks about the rangers. Off the top of my head I think a good tactic would be to base with a few warriors then let the rangers slip in to the rear so they don't get attacked on the defensive strikes. Maybe that might help them live longer? Good that you had fun anyways.

Welcome Madcobaia! I'm one of those two people who are within 100 miles of you. I assume that you are going to the U for school? For somewhere in Salt Lake you could probably have the Hammond Toys in the Crossroads Mall order stuff in for you.

I'm actually at the LDSBC, close enough to the U for all intents and purposes. I did run down to Hammond once, then the next time I went I discovered that it had completly disappeared, as had almost all of the stores in Crossroads... I guess I'll be extending my monthly Barnes & Noble run to include a quick trip to Midvale, ah the sacrifices!

I go to Weber State and don't have a lot of time to battle, but give me a PM any time you are available and I'll try to work it into my schedule.

At the rate things are going, I suspect I may be battle ready by jan, but I will most assuredly go take you up on that offer! Greatly appreciated!

drj - thanks for the advice, 'Tis greatly appreciated! I have indeed made the mighty Reptus my first, so I figured that this would probably be the best place to figure out the opening ceremonies. Ah, the joy! The excitement!

-Madcobaia

I almost went to LDSBC, but wanted to get all my schooling at one school. Hammonds is gone huh? Last time I was there(spring?) they had just moved down a level. Since my Reptus aren't even primed yet I would be willing to let you borrow them. I could also bring my Dwarves to proxy more models.