Sign in to follow this  
Gus Landt

Thoughts on Musicians & Standards

Before a mod moves this to the Rules section, please know that I am setting this up for a Tactics discussion. :B):

Question:

Can you give the same model both the Musician upgrade and the Standard upgrade? Has anyone every done this?

Hmmm...interesting question. I would have figured that would have been posted in the rulebook or errata by now. Normally, I have enough grunts in my army that I just automatically picked two different guys to do their duty. That's how it was playing Warhammer, so that way of thinking just stuck with me. ^_^

Tactically, however, I feel it would be unwise to put both the Standard and the Musician on the same model. Now your enemy only has one model to kill instead of two! :blink:

Besides, it's not like I ever take a standard anyways... :lol:

Wild Bill :blues:

Besides, it's not like I ever take a standard anyways... :lol:

I've never seen anyone take a standard. The only real reason I can think of would be if spells like scare and fear were being thrown about, has anyone used those spells and how effective are they? :huh:

OK, here is where I am going with this. You have your troop of big bad guys. You know your opponent is going to be gunning for your Musician &/or Standard Bearer first.

So my thought:

Add in 1 weenie guy to the troop. The cheapest model your faction allows. Give him either/both of those upgrades, then hide his butt in the far corner of your side of the board. :devil:

As far as I can tell, your musician/standard doesn't need to be in cohesion with his troop to provide the bonus. :B):

Cheesy, absolutely within the rules as written but very cheesy. The whole point of having those things are to spur on the members of the troop. If the Standard Bearer/Muscian is off hiding in a far off corner he really isn't inspiring the members of his troop.

hehe.. Gus, I did pretty much what you're saying not too long ago though the standard was only added because I had 10pts available in my build and I wasn't willing to trade anything else out. Now I didn't put my merc spearman with musician/standard in a corner but I did hang him back behind the rest of his troop with my leader model to avoid being torn apart so the concept is pretty much the same. The rules do mention you can add multiple pieces of equipment to a model and since both a standard and musician can be given to a grunt I don't see why you couldn't do that.

OK, here is where I am going with this. You have your troop of big bad guys. You know your opponent is going to be gunning for your Musician &/or Standard Bearer first.

So my thought:

Add in 1 weenie guy to the troop. The cheapest model your faction allows. Give him either/both of those upgrades, then hide his butt in the far corner of your side of the board. :devil:

As far as I can tell, your musician/standard doesn't need to be in cohesion with his troop to provide the bonus. :B):

Yes, you are correct. The musician and/or standard bearer model(s) DO NOT need to be in cohesion with the rest of the unit for their upgrade to come into effect. And yes, I have seen something similar done before. I have done something similar with my musician. However, I inevitably need the extra close combat support so I toss logic out the window charge his butt across the field!! :lol:

So my thought:

Sounds like the perfect target for a cheap flyer (harpy) or other fast model and please do put them all in the same corner. ::D:

no such thing as a cheap flyer...

Here is another question... with the upcoming release of several faction miniatures for musicians and standard bearers. I cant remember, do they have to be carried by grunts or can they be heaved by adepts? I only ask, because most of the sculpts are of the once grunt now adept status...

Here is another question... with the upcoming release of several faction miniatures for musicians and standard bearers. I cant remember, do they have to be carried by grunts or can they be heaved by adepts? I only ask, because most of the sculpts are of the once grunt now adept status...

I haven’t seen in the rule book that you can't give adepts musical instruments and banners. Why I'd much rather see them come out with a musical instruments and banner pole pack for each race. Yeah I know about the generic musical instruments pack but that's the problem with it, it's too generic.

Oh, and a harpy is cheap compared to the Griffon, I could buy three harpies for one Griffon.

do they have to be carried by grunts or can they be heaved by adepts?

Soldier models can carry standards/be musicians. That includes grunts and adepts. I think that often people refer to soldiers in general as grunts, so in that sense grunt would have two definitians: soldier (Including grunt and adept), and common soldier (including only grunt, not adept). Makes it a little confusing since the term has a technical and a non-technical use and it's not always easy to know when to use which definition because there's so much overlap of meaning.

Sorry, word-dork <.<

::D:

Aha!

Interesting of you to point that out!

What you don't see in the photo - because it looks too confusing to show - is that EVERY SINGLE musician/Standard Bearer pack has 2 instruments and 2 standards.

instrument 1 being carried/played by a model. Instrument 2 - an exact replica of instrument 1, but on a sprue and not on a model.

Standard 1 being carried by a model, standard 2 on a sprue.

You can then, with only 1 purchase, have a simple model holding the banner/instrument if you don't like to do conversion work, or you can add the banner/instrument to WHATEVER MODEL IN YOUR ARMY YOU WANT TO HAVE IT. Allcaps for emphasis.

Don't a lesser orc with a drum? put the sprued drum on your beastman, goblin, bull orc, ogre, harpy, etc. Give the flag to any soldier in your army - heck, you don't even have to convert it - just paint it and sick it on the base.

We had considered the very question you asked, and determined that while we wanted, for simplicity and ease of play, to include a model already carrying the item, we also wanted to make it easy to customize your army by including the item without model attached!

I hope that clears it up! ::):

Aha!

Interesting of you to point that out!

What you don't see in the photo - because it looks too confusing to show - is that EVERY SINGLE musician/Standard Bearer pack has 2 instruments and 2 standards.

intrument 1 being carried/played by a model. Inctrument 2 - and exact replica of instrument 1, but on a sprue and not on a model.

Standard 1 being carried by a model, standard 2 on a sprue.

You can then, with only 1 purchase, have a simple model holding the banner/instrument if you don;t like to do conversion work, or you can add the banner/instrument to WHATEVER MODEL IN YOUR ARMY YOU WANT TO HAVE IT. Allcaps for emphasis.

Don't a lesser ord with a drum? put the prued drum on your beastman, goblin, bull orc, ogre, harpy, etc. Give the flag to any soldier in your army - heck, you don't even have to convert it - just paint it and sick it on the base.

We had considered the very question you asked, and determined that while we wanted, for simplicity and ease of play, to include a model already carrying the item, we also wanted to make it easy to customize your army by including the item wihtout model attached!

I hope that clears it up! ::):

CHEERS!! :bday:

That's very good Bryan. That allows for a standard/musician token approach instead of converting. Put the banner and instrument on small bases, and simply place these next to models that are carrying them. Kinda like familiars.

That's very good Bryan. That allows for a standard/musician token approach instead of converting. Put the banner and instrument on small bases, and simply place these next to models that are carrying them. Kinda like familiars.

Particularly useful if your army is already painted. ::D: