Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Anyone notice tolzar a tad bit short??

Cool mini, but you line him next to say Selmarina & he short.

thou he's doesn't suffer from Pitor height problem :p

Just curious

Randy M

Check out Krupp the Heretic. He's frail next to some of the Halfling girls.

I think a lot of the older figures were like that. It's not just Reaper. 1988 GW humans look like 2003 Halflings- a full head shorter than today's figures.

Sometime today I'll scan a few of the old Heritage

"Fantastiques" from 1976.  You will see how much progress there has been in the hobby.

:upside: Its the OTHER figs that have the height problems. the sculpters keep bloating the minis to get more detail in  and the companies go along with it in hopes of gentlly encourging people to use only the newer larger minis.

Reapers "25mm" LIE compounds this sin as well.

:upside: Its the OTHER figs that have the height problems. the sculpters keep bloating the minis to get more detail in  and the companies go along with it in hopes of gentlly encourging people to use only the newer larger minis.

Reapers "25mm" LIE compounds this sin as well.

Heh, Reaper 25mm figures are usually bigger than the 28mm minis I have....and are as big as my 30mm figures. It is getting to be a problem for me, so I am tending to move away from Reaper character figures and sticking with Reaper monster/critter/giant figures, which I want huge anyway.

I have no problem with the current size of the Reaper minis, I actually like the newer size over the old 80's true size, yah they're not true 25 or whatever mm. As I 95% use Reaper in my games or paint, it doesn't bother me until one does come up a tad bit shorter. Thou I do like a variation (not everyone in the world is 6'3" like myself). I just pictured Tolzar tall & stocky for some reason when I saw the green. Thou I will say once I stuck him on a GW plastic base(as I base all my minis on plastic bases) his height isn't that bad compared to others (like the new wilderness ranger guy, Hans).

Randy M

I have no problem with the current size of the Reaper minis, I actually like the newer size over the old 80's true size, yah they're not true 25 or whatever mm. As I 95% use Reaper in my games or paint, it doesn't bother me until one does come up a tad bit shorter.

That's the problem - not that minis are bigger now (which annoys me, but I can live with) but that Reapers tend to be on the large side even of the new standard 28mm figures. I know the whole line about them varying in height, but even the "short" minis tend to be wopping heavy chunks of metal.

I do not use mostly Reapers, and I have no interest in replacing my large minis collection or centering it entirely around one company no matter how good that company is.

That makes Reaper the odd company out. I still buy figures, and I buy a lot of them, but I tend to avoid human (and demi-human) character figures because of their size. Orcs, fine, orcs are usually 6'+ in my game world and Reaper makes my favorite orcs. But when I bought a thief figure and a necromancer figure and they were as large as the oversized Ral Partha orc hero we use for a half-ogre it became a problem.

But I have to say I am with frankthedm on this...just stop telling me they are 25mm, okay? They are obviously bigger....so just say so.

Sometime today I'll scan a few of the old Heritage

"Fantastiques" from 1976.  You will see how much progress there has been in the hobby.

Oh, please do.  That would be neat to see.  :upside:

As I started sculpting my own miniatures I've spent some time measuring some of the Reaper figs I have. The only one I have that is 25mm is Felix Einen, by Sandra Garrity. Werner Klockes human sized figures generally clock in at 32mm, with Lord Ironraven Justicar coming in at 35mm. I mean, I'm all for the Heroic Scale size variations, but 35mm? You're 10mm away from the standard! That's seems to be getting a bit excessive to me. I'm glad Reaper commissions miniatures in a variety of sizes, but I wish some of those miniatures could still be the 25mm that they say they are. Although, at this point, if a 25mm figure did come out it would look uncomfortably small next to the current group of figures.  :down:

Here's a link to the old minis I mentioned:

They are:First Row:Four Heritage Goblins(1975-6)

Second row: Heritage Dunlander,Dwarf, Goblin,

Dead Man of Dunharrow

Third Row:Minifigs "Cleric",Heritage Dunlander,

Heritage "Gondor Ally"

Forth Row: Monique de Noir(for size Comparison),

Two Heritage Ringwraithes.

The Minifigs "Cleric" is a good example of early "fantasy' models

the figure was marketed by "The Dungeon" as a cleric. The figure is actually a Renaisance Foot Cossack from there old historical line. Most of the early humans were historical retreads. Most of these have never been repainted. The Cleric has been, as I used him as my character for years. Hope you enjoy them.oldminis

yikes, no offense, those old ones suck. it makes me glad I joined the hobby when I did.

well, I don't think they "suck" per se...but, I'm so glad that minis are actually a bit larger.  Heroic scale is a beautiful thing!  Now there can be more detail and personality to a mini! :cool:

It's ben pointed iout that those Ringwraithes are what you would have gotten had Sam and Frodo decided to just keep the Ring...."Quick Sam, get the Fell-Ponies."

Selection was terrible in those days. the only shop in Atlanta that carried ANYTHING was Combat Hobbies(long gone). They would get in a spinner rack of Heritage stuff(also long gone), and NEVER be able to get the new stuff or even refills. Minifigs used to come ONLY from Britain, before setting up in New York as well, and going bankrupt. The "Golden Age" was definately "brass plated".

If Reaper makes as much progress in thirty years as the industry in general has, we may be playing with talking holograms by then :laugh:

Well, over the years, even "25mm" has varied.

It depends if you measure from the top of the head to the feet, or from the eyes to the feet.

Given WK's work is 32 mm, makes me suspect he uses the 'eye' method.

And as ReaperIvy has stated, the Reaper line is NOT made up of "everyone is 6" tall clones". You'll have tall women, and short clerics... ;)

-Daniel

And you also have the trend that the dwarves are taller than the early shorter women.  I've got three or four dwarves on my shelf that are taller than Michelle Dancing Blades or Sidrith Sister.

If Reaper makes as much progress in thirty years as the industry in general has, we may be playing with talking holograms by then :laugh:

Probably. The early minis were not that great. However, enourmous strides were made in the first few years - the better minis I have from 1979-1980 are pretty good even by today's high standards. IOW, Ral Partha and Grenadier. Smaller, for sure, but still very good. You had plenty of companies turning out middle-grade minis, but a few noteworthy companies turning out very high quality stuff. So it was not a purely linear track of improvement. Sadly, it does seem to be a purely linear track of height. Thirty years from now I'll have to use T'Raukzul and Gauth as "baby dragons", based on the Grenadier Dragon of the Month Red Dragon I have that barely counts as a small wyvern compared to those guys.