Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Anyone notice tolzar a tad bit short??

What do the Old glory pirates measure, foot to eyes? I always thought they were called 28mm. I know their 15mm are closer to 19mm.

What do the Old glory pirates measure, foot to eyes? I always thought they were called 28mm.

They seem to be 28mm, assuming the pirate I think is OG is in fact OG. Feet to eyes on him is exactly 28mm, as are the couple of Eureka and Foundry guys I just measured. The Reapers from the Dragonspine Sea boxed set tend to be 30-32mm.

I was able to snap a picture of a very few of my pirates together - from left to right they are a Eureka pirate on a Warhammer base, an old Ral Patha pirate mounted on carboard for painting purposes, a Reaper pirate on its integral base, and a Foundry pirate mounted on top of a Warhammer base.

The Foundry guy is shorter than the Reaper guy, even on a Warhammer base. The Eureka guy measures well against the Foundry guy.

pirates.jpg

The next shot is some more pirates - a Reaper, a Foundry pirate still waiting mini prep and so unmounted, another Reaper, and a Eureka mounted on a Eureka base (about half as high as a Warhammer Slotta Base).

pirates2.jpg

Both are Geocities, so do the space deal or just highlight the URL and hit "Enter" again to see it. Or look here:

Pirates

They look ok togeather to me.  And my own Pirates of the Dragonspine look great with my own Foundry pirates.  Looks like normal human variation.

Do you rules lawyer this much in the games you play? :p

They look ok togeather to me.  And my own Pirates of the Dragonspine look great with my own Foundry pirates.  Looks like normal human variation.

Do you rules lawyer this much in the games you play? :p

Maybe, but the fact is that the Reapers do not even have any felt or carboard on the base yet, which will add a little more height (2-3mm for the felt, which is my current way of basing integral based minis). I have said before (in this thread and in earlier discussions) that the Reaper pirates are close enough, but they are still the tallest minis in my pirates collection. That is acceptable, but it is also enough to make me think twice about any Reaper character figure....if 30-32mm is an "average height" Reaper, and they scale as "tall" to my non-Reapers, what are "tall" Reapers going to look like? I cannot platform shoe...er..mount on a GW base...more than once per mini. Not and have them stand up.

And rules lawyering? I GM.

As any historical gamer will tell you, this is not just a "fantasy" problem. In American Civil War, for example, Old Glory 15s are about 19mm tall; Freikorps are 15mm exactly' minifigs were 18mm;Heritage were 16mm,etc. As long as a unit was all by one manufacturer, you were OK. But trying to mix companies to get some variation in poses could be real hit and miss. And even if the people were "different Heights", a Napoleon field gun was the same size no matter what height the crew were. Old Glory's gun was twice the size of Alliance or Freikorps(and BTW, closer to scale).

Again folks, remember the scale height does not include the base thickness.

So it seems Reaper is 28mm, measured from foot to eyes.

But as I have said, it varies from company as to whether it's foot to eye, or foot to top of head. To eye height is favored by most manufacturers, as it negates the problem of measuring a figure's height to head when he's wearing a hat! :)

-Daniel

Again folks, remember the scale height does not include the base thickness.

So it seems Reaper is 28mm, measured from foot to eyes.

When I measured the Dragonspine Sea guys, it was foot to eyes 30mm to 32mm, not base to eyes. Just want to be sure that was clear.

Editing Later: Actually, he are the full set of measurements for one of the pirates (the one with his sword held high, 3rd from the left top row front of the box, in blue):

Bottom of feet to eyes: 30mm

Bottom of base to top of head: 35mm

Bottom of feet to top of head: 32mm

Overall height (bottom of base to tip of sword): 57mm

Base thickness: 3mm

Enjoy. I'm going to go prime this guy now.

Interesting point on base thickness. That can really skewer the perception of a group of minis proportions.

"The Courier", a historical mini magazine, established a system for comparing the size of similarly labeled minis. It rated them on height and girth. It was called the Barrett scale, and I believe it was copyrighted or patented.

Just as an example, and I'm not really measuring anything, hypothetical Reaper Orc "A", might be a 28mmMedium, while Warlord Orc "B" would be a 33mmHeavy.

Something like this might be useful to some folks. I don't really worry about it. I still use my "antique" goblins with my newer Reaper and GW models. Let's call it "celebrating diversity". :D

Interesting point on base thickness. That can really skewer the perception of a group of minis proportions.

That is the reason I vary my basing - the shorter minis get Warhammer bases, the medium height ones often get a medium thickness carboard or wood base, and the tall guys just get thin cardboard bases or just a layer of felt. It works out to make the scale differences a little less obvious in play, at the cost of making basing more complicated.

Ok, I got out my dial calipers and measured over a dozen minis. Then converted the measurements to mm. All are from foot to top of head.

Reaper Minis:

Model Height (in) Heigth (mm)

2663 1.301  33.0

2681 1.24  31.5

2014 1.235  31.4

2648 1.246  31.6

2186 1.246  31.6

This gives a 5 mini average of 31.8mm

Contrast thsi to some Ral Partha Minis:

RP Skel w/ bow 1.057 26.8

RP Paladin 1.09 27.7

RP Ranger 1.048 26.6

RP Leiginare 1.088 27.6

for an average of 27.2mm. The Leiginare (set of 6) dates from 1977. and they were already 6.5 feet tall if 25mm=6ft

Dwarfs are an even bigger problem:

6 Garrity dwarves averaged 23.3mm in height, while 4 Bob Olley dwarves measured 26.8mm. Making some of Bob's dwarfs talller than some of my humans. Needless to say I won't be buying any more super alien space dwarves sculpted by Bob Olley any more.

6 Garrity dwarves averaged 23.3mm in height, while 4 Bob Olley dwarves measured 26.8mm. Making some of Bob's dwarfs talller than some of my humans. Needless to say I won't be buying any more super alien space dwarves sculpted by Bob Olley any more.

Granted that we all have a personal preference in miniatures, it can still be argued that dwarves come in different heights and builds, and when comparing Garrity's and Olley dwarves, it boils down to a matter of art style and the artists' interpretation.  Dwarves have been rendered in a variety of fashions from Snow White, to Lord of the Rings, to Dungeons & Dragons, and to GW's Chaos Dwarves.  It don't think one style is necessarily good or bad.

IMHO I think everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill on the scale issue.  No one is going to make a mini to a scale that everyone will agree on.  I buy what I like for the variety of the figures and the enjoyment they provide.  If you are roleplaying or wargaming or just collecting, you know the height you decide for the character that it represents not the figure itself.  Enjoy the hobby!

rm

IMHO I think everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill on the scale issue.  No one is going to make a mini to a scale that everyone will agree on.  I buy what I like for the variety of the figures and the enjoyment they provide.  If you are roleplaying or wargaming or just collecting, you know the height you decide for the character that it represents not the figure itself.  Enjoy the hobby!

rm

Amen to that..... :cool:

rm

you stole the words out of my mouth.

in D&D, which is what most people would by reapers for in my mind, the tallest an avaerage dwarf can be is 4'5". the shortest an avarage human can be is 4'7". now, that isn't much diffarence and there are always variations from the norm.

They are:First Row:Four Heritage Goblins(1975-6)

Second row: Heritage Dunlander,Dwarf, Goblin,

Dead Man of Dunharrow

Wow. I've got a handfull of those goblins that I picked up at PointCon way back in '86 or '87, and have never known what they were or where they came from. Thanks for posting the picture!