Why cant we be friends? (1.2)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there isn't a Freelance Faction topic, I guess I'll post away in this one. :upside:

I worked on a 1,000 point Freelance army, which was partly inspired by Gus at the Dallas tourney a month ago. :wub:

However, I decided I wanted to go Evil/Neutral. :devil:

Here's the list:

Mister Blood + 6 Bone Marines + Musician

Uru

Vysa + 3 Isiri Warriors

Minotaur

Sir Athak + 6 Skeletal Archers + Musician

Gurm, Hunter

Artemis + 6 Mercenary Crossbowmen + Musician

I figured the 18 archers would shoot up stuff as it moved across the board, and the other 10 models could deal with h2h nasties that actually made it across. The Bone Marines can also get into a little close close combat action if necessary.

What does everyone think?

Wild Bill :blues:

Here's the list I posted in the Mercenary section, as there was no freelance at the time! ^_^

Stubbdog had made a suggestion to drop one of my lower costing sgts and putting Grim Pete (from the Razig list) in there instead. I am going to have to disagree with that because the appearance of a pistol shot every other turn does not warrant an increase of 10+ points to put Pete in. Sorry Stubb. ::):

And, while having a River Troll is probably a better idea than the Minotaur, my point with this build was to showcase troops and models that don't get played with very often in my neck of the woods. ::D:

Wild Bill, I can't say I'm a big fan of that list. Here are my general thoughts:

The best archers in the Evil Freelance are the Isiri archers, and one of the worst grunts is the Isiri Warriors. You got it backwards on your list. :;):

The VERY best soldier for this type of army are the Tomb Guards. DV11 + Deflect means they stay alive to screen incoming models. DIS 9 means you can shoot into melee and your Tom b Guard won't get shaken. Plus they can break away from combat for free (love DIS 9) to get moved where needed. :wub:

I also see you are forcing faction specific troops. I would drop Athak and use nothing but Artemis/Vysa for sergeants, as they are SO cheap.

You don't have the range you need to pull this off all the time. 18"-24" won't cut it when you fight Elves, or anything that can charge across the field fast. You need to start hitting right from the first turn!

Uru is a powerhouse that NEEDS to be in every freelance army. Definately keep him.

River Troll VS Minotaur is a coin toss. Stick with what you like on that one. ^_^

I know you said "my point with this build was to showcase troops and models that don't get played with very often in my neck of the woods". But if that is the case, there's no reason to post the list here, because no one can help you with that kind of build! ::P:

Even though my plan was to showcase how cool certain models are that don't normally get played, that doesn't mean my army has to suck!! :lol:

So, after spending some time at work tweaking my army :devil: here goes the latest version:

Mister Blood + 5 Bone Marines

Uru

Artemis + 5 Isiri Archers

Minotaur

Artemis + 4 Tomb Guard

Gurm

Artemis + 6 Merc Crossbowmen

I had to dump all of my musicians and change all of my sgts to Artemis in order to make the changes that Gus suggested. Yes, I could have probably gotten cheaper solos, but too bad!! ::P:

Mister Blood + 5 Bone Marines

Uru

Artemis + 5 Isiri Archers

Minotaur

Artemis + 4 Tomb Guard

Gurm

Artemis + 6 Merc Crossbowmen

I had to dump all of my musicians and change all of my sgts to Artemis in order to make the changes that Gus suggested.

:wub: Now THAT'S a Freelance list!! ::D:

I like your solitaires. Their higher DIS than other choices (Troll & Braug) is good because you'll probably be shooting into melee to support them. :;):

As far as musicians, they are worthless in this type of Freelance. The whole idea is you sit back and shoot at things running towards you, then step in with your Tomb Guard at the last minute. A musician is wasted points, because you shouldn't be moving! ::):

Is this EXACTLY 1500? Cause if it just 1499, you can take a Vysa instead of an Artemis just for variety.

Thank you Gus!! ::):::):::):

Actually, it's exactly 1,000 points!! I did have a Vysa in there for the Darkspawn archers, but I was one point over. :angry: So, I had to change her for Artemis. Oh well. At least I had the option to do so and gain that one point back! -_-

My general plan was to use my solos and leaders and warriors as the main hand-to-hand guys. Granted, the Bone Marines having DIS 9 and MAV 1 is sa-weet! :devil: They could always wade in there and have the rest of the archers continue to fire away with no issues. That's another reason I went with them as well. ^_^

Here's my Reptus-based Neutral Good freelance idea that I've been kicking around at 1000 points. It is based on packing DV 11 warriors in each of the 3 soldier troops, and using models that are already painted and available. There's obviously room for a number of tweaks here, but I won't go in to all that...

Troop 1

Chai-Uut w/Divine Favor

Ssudai w/Firestorm, Ice Shard

Reptus Warriors x6

Clutchlings x2

Troop 2

Audt

Templar Knights x6

Clutchlings x2

Troop 3

Audt

Shieldmaidens x6

Clutchlings x2

Troop 4

River Troll

Troop 5

Uru

5 Troops, 5 Cards, 30 models, 999 points.

~v

Well, played in the reaper tourney today with what i thought would have been a decent freelance force, but the tourney proved otherwise.

Admitteldy a little light on the numbers, I thought it should have proved worthy... Game results to follow after the list:

Troop 1:

Razig Cptn Black Knife Tom 63

Nefsokar Hero Thoth (lesser weapon up) 115

3x Overlord Warriors 63

3x Overlord Crossbows 90

2x Reptus clutchlings (1 musician) 57

----------------------------

10 models 1 tactician 388 points

Troop 2:

Necropolis cptn lord Kentar 108

Reptus hero Raam (imprvd prtn, mod weapon) 109

Overlord hero Rogran 77

4x Reptus warriors 92

2x Reptus breakers 48

2x Reptus clutchlings (1 musician) 57

------------------------------------

10 models 1 tactician 491 points

Troop 3:

Reptus solo Uru 66

-------------------------------

1 model 66 pnts

Troop 4:

Reptus monster river troll 52

-----------------------

1 model 52 pnts

Total:

---------------------------

23 models 997 points 6 cards

The idea was that if playing against nefsokar wind people (since I knew that there were 3-4 people playing Nefsokar) that I would not have anyone that could be delayed.

I also figured that the power theory that Storm talked about recently could be used with the 3 warmasters.

And finally, I tried to keep a bit of balance with the crossbows and Tom to use as shooters.

Overall, besides the breakers and clutchlings, everyone had a good DV, and except for the warriors, everyone had a decent to high MAV. And the xbows could use their ranked to stya alive and yet get into point blanked range...

Ok, here were the problems with those theories.....

We playe d 2 on 2 games that were fun, but still for the most part were 1 on 1 games in half the width cause for the most part people still just fought the people across from them. Something that if we played this style tourney again we could change a little with possible staggered deployment spots.

But back to the results:

game1: my direct opponent was none other than the Master Elf Darren and is full compliment of shooters. And as I have bitterly become familiar with with elves... is sure shot.. the ability to forget allabout any kind of cover whether it be tree, fence, ruins, or even the person standing in front of you (related to ranked xbows), as long as they see a sliver of your base, they take zero penalties for shooting at them. I had no choice but to try and charge.. I had 23 go in. I made it into base to base with his road blocks, no problem with my musicians... But that is as far as I got. I killed like 4 of his 6 pawns... and then proceeded to get drilled. I had 8 fall the turn i got into b2b with the pawns and then the elves won init the next round and I had another 9 go down. Then when was just about to try and get what little i had left into attack his shooters, time was called.....

Game two:

This time my main opponent was Nefsokar (regular Nefsokar). This game was a fairly even matched game, and to be honest I gave probably as much as i got. But, it was equally as frustrating as the elven massacre cause my dice decided to disapear right as the meat of the fighting started. I took out one of his two walking avatars, and then I couldnt hit diddly after that. I surrounded an upgraded Ammat with Thoth, Rogran, and Kentar. That would be 4 swings at mav 6 and 2 at mav 5. All 6 swings wiffed. These whiffs would repeat for the next two turns as Ammat slowly whittled them down on return strikes. In the end, both sides only killed a few from each other, so it was fairly even but it was the way it was happening that was so frustrating. But, if it had gone another turn I would have been whipped pretty badly, as both trolls were already plinked and rogran was finally hit too. So, that next turn would have been bad, good thing time ran out...

Game 3: I finally had a game where my build shined. My main opponent was crusaders fielding a justice army of almost all knights. After my dice had gone soo cold in game 2, they finally woke up in game 3. I wont go into details but will just say that by the time that the game was called, I had killed about 15-18 of his and he had killed 4-5 of mine. The warmasters finally saw some joy on the field of battle.

(note: my cold dice were transferred to my partner's opponent who was fielding the wind people nefsokar and missed with like 8 rolls in a row with the big sokars avatar and also rolled five 1's in a row needing 3s and 5s.)

I still think my list is not a bad one. Just obvious that it joins one of the many lists that are not meant to face off with the elves..

By popular request (well, one guy mentioned it anyway) heres a topic devoted to freelance armies.

Gotta say I'm glad to see a Freelance Army topic (and no - I'm not the guy that made the suggestion). Most of what I field in actual games so far have been Freelance. The vast majority of my models are Mercenaries but I also have a few Crusaders that I've used. As soon as I've finished painting them I'll have a Dwarf, a Centaur, and that Tariq fellow to work with as well.

- Dave

Well other than a bit of speed difference its a solid reptus warrior force with different models and a bit higher MAV :lol:

But where's the archers ::P:

Well, actually, I thought of that, and kinda like the idea of the different speeds on the 3 units. I see using the Reptus on one flank, the Templars on the other, and the shieldmaidens "up the gut". This is intended to be a wholesale melee army, so no shooty-types allowed. :p

~v

While it seems like almost everyone's focus for Freelance has been to go shooty heavy (including myself! ::): ), I think we ought to take a different approach!

Let's work on melee oriented armies. I don't care if it's good/neutral or evil/neutral etc etc. You are not allowed any ranged soldiers at all. You may have no leaders or solos with a ranged attack. The only exception to this is the allowance of a wizard or cleric (should one so choose! ^_^ ).

I propose making both a 1,000 point AND a 1,500 point list. That seems to be common now. If someone wants to toss in a 750 point list as well, feel free. :poke:

I have not yet researched what models are available etc (thank you Gus! :wub: ) so I haven't developed an army list yet. But, I figured that would be a good project for those of us bored at work on a Friday. :lol:

While it seems like almost everyone's focus for Freelance has been to go shooty heavy (including myself! ::): ), I think we ought to take a different approach!

Let's work on melee oriented armies. I don't care if it's good/neutral or evil/neutral etc etc. You are not allowed any ranged soldiers at all. You may have no leaders or solos with a ranged attack. The only exception to this is the allowance of a wizard or cleric (should one so choose! ^_^ ).

For my part before I do that I'd like to review how the various factions view eachother. In addition the the Good/Neutral and Evil/Neutral issues I'd like to develop some additional guidelines on who would likely be willing to work for who. This will help reduce the number of cases where Dwarves and Orcs end up in the same party for instance.

- Fozzy

Well, there is the section in the Core Rulebook on how each Faction views the others in a thumbnail sketch. But with Freelance, you don't have to worry so much about the Fluff. Only Alignment. With Fluff, you can create anything.

The troops in a Freelance army may not be the same troops from a Faction. Fluff-wise, maybe your Orcs were pushed aside and displaced by a large tribe or Orcs, and in vengence, have decided to work with the Dwarves to take down their enemy and regain their tribal land. Dwarves, ever pragmatic, decided the enemy of my enemy is my friends, and lets the Orcs attack the offending tribe, thus ridding the world of more Orcs (irregardless of who wins), and reducing the loss of Dwarven life by sending less boys into the field.

Or maybe the Freelance Dwarves are a greedy evil troop of scum who only care for the loot. They were cast out of Aizen Krahl for illicit behavior and formed up a small mercenary company. Orcs are bloodthirsty savage, let them charge into battle, kill the enemy and die in the process, it means more loot for us for less work.

You can make up a million reasons why supposed enemies might work together.

Again, there are some alignment restrictions, so but heck, you can come up with reasons for that too. Maybe Goblins are just too chaotic and vile for Dwarves to even stomach their presence, no matter how wretched the Dwarf is. Goblins just cannot keep their racial enimity in check sufficiently to work with Dwarves, even if it would help Neek gani control of his own Reven, etc.