sad news

Stubbdog

Well I have some sad news.

Exodus Road Hobbies, of which I am a part of, might be a webstore front for selling minis and gaming supplies, but that does not mean that we dont care about the local gmaing stores in our areas.

Heck, I have a couple that I play at on a regular basis even.

Well, one of those announced that this Saturday will be their last day. And not cause they werent doing well. Simply cause their landlord cut them off at their knees at the lease reneg time. That and they are surprisingly enough having a difficult time finding another store space that will lease to them in the nearby area for whatever reason.

So, I just wanted to give the moment of gratitude to Jasco Games of Flower Mound, TX.

Hopefully they will get a new location found and start again.

But also for people to keep them in their prayers as this was a sudden happening, it was not an expected thing or a gradual preperation, it was a yank.

Mark is such a good guy. Whie he is sitting there having to figure out what he wants to do with his life and family, not to mention a store full of merchandise. he is still trying to figure out how to make things work for the kid gamers in his store at the time. He will be packing up his store on Sunday afternoon if anyone area folks want to drop by and help. Meanwhile he is still holding a warhammer tounrey on Saturday.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I feel like I've been punched in the gut. :down:

I only recently moved here, so I've only been to Jascos a couple of times (it's a 45 minute drive). But the store was great, and Mark was a fantastic owner. Very friendly and knowledable.

Once GenCon was over, I was hoping to start making it to Jascos more regularly for Warlord night. I hope things work out for them, and I will definately add Mark and his family to my prayers. :down:

We'll keep them in our prayers here too. Unfortunately it is not the only case of this I've heard of. A few years ago the same thing happened to a hobby store not too far north of me. I went in one friday to game and here he was in the middle of mounds of boxes packing up. It seems that landlords think they can do so much better with the space than having a gaming store there. So here's to praying that Mark is back in biz soon and that it all works out to the better in the end.

Fortunately, the other tenants with my FLGS are a Karate school (lots of little kid foot traffic) and a Subway shop. They all tend to fuel each other's clientele.

We had another not so flgs kicked out of its mall space, though they were able to find other quarters down the road a bit. Of course that puts them less than 500 yards from yet another shop which hasn't been doing well in the last year or two. I can't see how that area will sustain two competing shops.

Fortunately, the other tenants with my FLGS are a Karate school (lots of little kid foot traffic) and a Subway shop. They all tend to fuel each other's clientele.

Oddly enough Jasco's next door neighbor is also a karate joint.

Its so questionable when you say a karate place is ok, but a gaming place is not.

sad news to hear when a game store goes under, espically when it's not a sale related issue like this one. Landlord must still be stuck in the 80s regarding the "evil influences of D&D" kinda BS.

wish my local store was still in buisness, it was a 30 min drive away, but like many he had to call it quits as well, thou not for $$ issues just other issues in his life at the time.

sad to hear about the store & hopefully he regains his footing again & can reopen his shop somewhere else. The landlord's loss is all I can see at the this point.

RM

Happened to one of my favorite restraunts here. Guy did good his first year, so the landlord nearly doubled the rent. Now, it sets empty and the landlord gets nothing.

:wacko:

That's what happened to a few nice eatting places out here.

There is a place down the road that was doing great, they were a combo night club/party house/eatting place. They were doing great and had a fire in their kitchen. Kitchen got fixed, new people hired, place started doing well again, then the landlord decided, "Oh you're a risk." Raised the rent and now the place has sat vacant for over two years now and the landlord finally decided last week he must have had enough of no renters for the place as he put it up for sale.

That stinks - I feel little compassion when a gaming store goes under because of it's own incompetence (stinky employees who berate customers, etc), but when a store has to fold (even temporarily) because of something like this, it's just sad.

Hopfully he'll find a new spot to hang his pegboard.

Well, you can add another to the list. I just got a message from the store owner that plays in my campaign (and where we often play WL); he's closing his store for good tomorrow. Talk about shocked... :down:

Yep, very sad: today was my last Warlord game at All the Fun Stuff. AFTS had been very supportive of Warlord and is why we now have a 8+ Warlord players in the Houston area. I was definitely shocked when I arrived today to play: there was no hint of the closure last weekend.

I can understand why though. From what Shakandara said, AFTS was being squeezed by a local comic-magic-Warhammer store chain, and I can imagine that having a Games Workshop store about 10 minutes away didn't help (though the former probably hurt more).

<sigh>

Ron