The Sci-Fi Good Reads Thread

Erion

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Hunting for Mirrorshades ^_^

There are several copies available on Amazon from various sellers.

Ron

I tend to be very leery of buying used books online. I like being able to look at them to make sure they are in good condition. One person's Good is different from another's. When your recourse is a bad rating, I hate the thought of eating the cost for a book in rougher shape than anticipated. I'm very particular about the condition of my books though (okay, freakishly obsessive to be honest).

That notwithstanding, I have had some great luck on the few times I have gotten used books from Powell's, out of Portland, OR. Granted I had been to their store there and got to check out in person the differences between their very good, good and fair books, so I know what condition something is going to come in. Also, I have dealt with their customer service department several times with wonderful success.

Also be very cautious about dealing with Amazon's Marketplace sellers. My husband's email account got virtually zero spam...until we bought a book from one of the Marketplace sellers. Then, blammo... fortunately, the email provider has very good spam filters.

Stand on Zanzibar is a classic by John Brunner.

Powell's in Portland is Wonderful, but even they don't have a copy of A Night in Lonesome October. We found one at the used bookstore here, but it had chapters 1-like 3 printed twice...

I have read a little Heinlein. I very much enjoyed Time Enough For Love.

Mick is piping in that Neuromancer is the pinacle. Something about re-defining the genre.

I first found Powell's visiting a friend in Portland about 8 years ago. He made me go. I walked into their SF/Fantasy section and almost passed out. 4 aisles, both sides plus the ends, each about 40 feet long and a good 8 feet tall. All crammed with SF/Fantasy. I almost needed to buy another suitcase after I was done shopping. And then the lovely girl at the register, when I mentioned I was from out of town, told me about their internet site. :wub:

Sorry to blow your secret Nanite. Their sale section online is just a blast to cruise through.

I've had good luck ordering from the Amazon Marketplace sellers. I do only order from people with a large number (100's, if not 1000's) of good ratings. But, I haven't been disappointed yet with the quality of the books nor have I seen an increase in spam.

Ron

I ordered from Amazon Marketplace recently. The book was listed as being in "good" condition. When I got it I would rank as "near mint" except for a slight cover crease on the back (SC book). So far, I've been satisfied.

I've also gotten a few good books of Ebay in good condition (including completing my McCullough Rome series).

Damon.

Eric Flint is another author to watch for. I love his 1632 series, I haven't read anything by him that I haven't liked. I'm a huge David Weber fan and it is certainly interesting to watch the progression in his writing through the Honor Harrington series. Of course he doesn't write them fast enough to feed my habit.

Actually my two favorite Weber books are the Excaliber Alternative and the Apocalypse Troll, both are excellent and I would recommend them if you are interested in reading something by him without getting involved in a series.

The Starfist series by David Sherman is pretty good too, there is one book that is just bad but the other eight have held up pretty well. He's a good "B" Sci Fi writer.

If you are interested in the Golden Age of Sci Fi then try E.E. "Doc" Smith and his Lensman series. You do have to remember when these books were written though but this is a series that I still pull out once a year and read.

If you are interested in the Golden Age of Sci Fi then try E.E. "Doc" Smith and his Lensman series. You do have to remember when these books were written though but this is a series that I still pull out once a year and read.

I've actually been considering buying these. I love that era of SF. My local Borders has the annoying habit of only ever having half the volumes, and never sequential. It's usually something like 1,4,6,8 or something.

I've actually been considering buying these. I love that era of SF. My local Borders has the annoying habit of only ever having half the volumes, and never sequential. It's usually something like 1,4,6,8 or something.

I usually buy mine at used book stores, they can usually be had pretty cheaply and very often they have the whole series. Remember that Triplanetary is the first book, it does not actually say anything about the lensmen on it, at least mine don't. I read the beat up ones and have gradually been accumulating nice copies along the way.

While I'm thinking about it everyone should go to the Baen Books website and check out the free library. A lot of their titles can be downloaded for FREE. It is their free online library.

While I'm thinking about it everyone should go to the Baen Books website and check out the free library. A lot of their titles can be downloaded for FREE. It is their free online library.

You are an evil, evil man, and my wife will now curse you for giving me another excuse to spend more time on my computer :lol:

You are an evil, evil man, and my wife will now curse you for giving me another excuse to spend more time on my computer :lol:

:B): You could always print them out instead ::D:::P:

That is actually a wonderful resource. I am always hesitant to spend the money on new authors so getting a chance to read some books without the financial hit, and making a decision on whether I like the style is great.

Thank you for the great reference!