Sign in to follow this  
Crusoe the Painter

"Bump Key" or "Super Key" renders most tumbler locks useless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv45y6vkcQ...arch=bump%20key

Basically, you can modify a key, that with a simple tap, will open nearly all locks that accept it. Insurance won't pay you for burglarly because there would be no evidence that someone had forced the door.

I gotta check my door lock now... :/

Offhand, they need to have a key prepared for that specific manufacturer's shape. Wikipedia has at least a vague article on lock picking which includes many ways of accomplishing the deed.

All said and done, bump keys look like something a news program might focus on during a slow news day.

Have dremel - can file. That, and go to a locksmith and get a few copies of your key and you've got a few more blanks to make your bump key... right?

Am I going to have to start barricading my door?

I'm not too worried about anybody breaking in while I'm gone, actually. First, I'm getting ready to have 4 kids under the age of 5 -- I never go out. Second, I don't really have anything of real-world value, unless there's a black market in fencing other people's scrapbooks. We have scrapbooks.

kit

I saw this. We have lockers and draws with a simular fitting keys. With a screw driver I tried to duplicate this but I was not successful. I will try again latter to see.

Am I going to have to start barricading my door?

I'm not too worried about anybody breaking in while I'm gone, actually. First, I'm getting ready to have 4 kids under the age of 5 -- I never go out. Second, I don't really have anything of real-world value, unless there's a black market in fencing other people's scrapbooks. We have scrapbooks.

kit

Scary bit is what scraps can be grabbed from a break in for identity theft and a whole host of other headaches. One always thinks "Gosh, I don't have much of value" until their world gets turned upside down. It's enough to make someone really paranoid.

Scary bit is what scraps can be grabbed from a break in for identity theft and a whole host of other headaches. One always thinks "Gosh, I don't have much of value" until their world gets turned upside down. It's enough to make someone really paranoid.

Actually we've already been through all that. We have a very cool bank regarding identity theft.

So, not too worried about it. We've already been down that road of liability. But that's just me. And yes, it can be a headache.

kit

I wouldn't worry too much about the identity theft angle on this. It's easier to go through your garbage or find your info on the internet, and you don't risk the felony burglary charge doing it that way. Basically any lock just keeps honest people honest. I can kick your door in faster than I can pick the lock. With most people working during the days It's easy to do and not get caught. This is from a law enforcement perspective of course.

Like Grimjack kinda said, a bump key? I have one of those. I like to call it a sledgehammer.

You know, don't you, that the tiles on your roof can be lifted and the ceiling busted through, all in about 30 seconds with no tools? Deadlocks are a deterrent because they make it harder to get out. Including if the house is on fire.

As I interpreted it, part of the issue with bump keying is that it leaves no trace. Sure you can have your stuff taken easily enough, and let's face it, it's just stuff, but if you're a conscientious person, insurance will cover you if you have a busted door frame. This method looks like nothing happened, and there's the real paranoia-inducing problem.

That, and news programs get their ratings by manufacturing problems for us mortals. There's a discussion all by itself.

kit

Or someone could climb in through an unlocked window. Most break ins I've seen aren't done with near that level of finesse. Sure its bad if you get hit the rare professional who might use one of these but there are more likely ways your home your business could get broken into.

Related story...my mom and dad locked themselves out of their house awhile back and being where they live there is no theft, dad went to the garage (non-attached and unlocked) and got a hammer to break a pane of glass to get in. Tempered glass doesn't break easily...the hammer didn't even scratch it...rock hammer didn't work either. Eventually he gave up, hacksawed the door handle off, shoved the lock mechanism through and pulled the bolt. Granted a kick would have been even easier as it's only a wooden frame, a lock is easy to replace, door frames...not so easy.

As for my house...breaking in would be similar to picking my pocket...all they'd get would be practice. :B):