Question about Floquil Primer

Jubilee

I found a note amongst my class notes from GenCon with "Floquil Primer" - and not much else. It's right next to "Tamiya Fine Surface Primer" - and I'm pretty sure I wrote it down to try it. However, I went to my LGS yesterday, and they didn't have the Tamiya, and the only Floquil Primer I found was an "All purpose" spray and the can said it was an enamel.

I seem to recall being told or reading somewhere that mixing enamels and acrylics was a Bad Idea. Is there some other floquil primer I need to look for, or is it okay to have an enamel base for acrylics?

thanks,

/ali

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Floquil Base Figure Primer is an enamel. There is no adverse effect from using it to prime figures which are to be painted with acrylics. It does take longer to thoroughly dry than other primers and the smell will linger. Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer which is laquer based and dries very quickly, also works well as a base for acrylic paints and is my prefered choice.

I found a note amongst my class notes from GenCon with "Floquil Primer" - and not much else. It's right next to "Tamiya Fine Surface Primer" - and I'm pretty sure I wrote it down to try it. However, I went to my LGS yesterday, and they didn't have the Tamiya, and the only Floquil Primer I found was an "All purpose" spray and the can said it was an enamel.

I seem to recall being told or reading somewhere that mixing enamels and acrylics was a Bad Idea. Is there some other floquil primer I need to look for, or is it okay to have an enamel base for acrylics?

thanks,

/ali

• Reaper User

Heh, may have been from my class notes, I used to use the Floquil but switched to the Tamiya because so far it's been a more consistant mix (and I love the finish). Hobbytown stores are licensed Tamiya dealers, and you can also get the primer online (I'm in the process of ordering from a couple of sites, so once I have a reliable one I'll post it). ::):

--Anne

just started using Tamiya primer (heck use their lacq line all the time) & I love it!!

I've been using Dupicolor primer for my mini needs & I'll switch between the two now.

really like the grey primer over the white, but each has a purpose in my hobby now.

RM

Tamiya is very popular among the model R/C, and military modeling crowds. I also found Tamiya paints at my local train hobby shop.

I consider my Tamiya primer an essential "best" tool, right up there with W&N series 7 brushes, and my 900 grit diamond file. Anything less compromises quality, and I just cannot allow that. Some of us less skilled painters need all the help we can get! :lol:

I've tried Floquil, and it tends to be more "runny" than most other primers. This is something you just have to get used to if you continue to use Floquil. The fact that it smells more, and takes about 24 or more hours to dry are also negatives that helped me choose Tamiya over Floquil.

There's a Hobbytown USA nearby, so I popped over there yesterday and they did, in fact, have Tamiya FSP, so now I've got that to experiment with.. ;)

Based on this thread, I don't think Floquil is something I want to use. I don't want a primer I have to re-learn how to use properly. :P

Thanks all,

/ali

one thing I was really surprised with the white Tamy is it's white, not a ghost grey kinda white

The 2 minis I've sprayed with it are Werner's first Freebooter dwarf (with the mug) & the eye beast from Reaper.

The dwarf being a simple mini came out great but the one that I was really impressed with is the eye beast, I tacked the thing together with poster putty as I wanted to get inside the mouth first before I glued it together, was just gonna brush MSP primer in there & on parts (like inbetween the eye stalks on top) that are hidden or hard to get with spray.

Funny thing is, the primer got most of that for me + it came out a nice solid white as well (really the only part that I'll go in with the brush on is the far back of the mouth around the tongue & behind the stalks where the primer had no chance of gettin to), something I've never gotten completely with Dupicolor white.

Not sayin Dupi is a bad primer but glad I took a chance with the Tamiya primers (7 vs 5, not the big of difference other then size of the cans, but yuo do get the quality for the price)

RM

I have used Floquil primer for 20 years now and I have never noticed that it is more "runny" than any other primers. I have gone back and forth between Armory, GW and Floquil without ever have to "relearn" how to use it.

Drying time is subject to your local climate. I can typical begin painting a figure within an hour of applying the primer. Nothing like a dry high altitude climate to make paint dry fast. I don't think the Floquil takes any longer to dry than any other primer that I have tried.

I would recommend you try it and see how you like it.

Until I ran out of it earlier this year, I used Armory exclusively and with fairly good (for tabletop) results. Other folks seemed to hate it and talk about 'The Fuzzies', pooling and hiding detail, etc., so I tried Floquil and got much better (to my untrained eye) results. However, I primed a few minis this weekend in higher heat & humidity and well, let's just say I found several 'learning opportunities'. Six out of ten minis primed are now soaking their cares away in a Simple Green spa.

So far in my limited experience, Floquil is not a 'magic bullet'. I seriously doubt there is a primer I cannot screw up given heat, humidity and lack of patience. It seems to me that the primer itself is less a factor than the environment & technique. Experiment to see what works best for you in your part of the world.

I've used Tamiya primer in the past, and the surface was so smooth that if I used really thin paint, it would sort of shimmey around and make beads on the surface of the mini. The stuff had no "tooth". Anyone else experience this? How did you overcome it?

Other than that, I love the stuff. Very smooth, nice finish, fills in nicely without obsuring detail.