Heroes of Vigil City

Vinny

Allright!! Someone who knows what's up!!

Eddie listens to the Phanom, even though he has no idea who this person is, because he (the Phantom) is the only one who has made any sense in the past few minutes. He powers down his fists, to protect potential innocents, but keeps at the door, because he can't go through it directly. His punches still do massive damage, though, and do not phase him. He can keep this up for hours, if need be. Just another training exercise.

"I will not be made a slave again!" he shouts.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Clearly, there is a lack of trust all around." Templar says, his voice clearly, however, betraying his annoyance. He does not seem bothered by Eddie's reaction and destruction. The door dents heavily (Eddie realizes its probably the same material used on the crypt doors, and will take considerable effort. No idea what's it made out off, maybe a titanium alloy. Maybe alien? Very strange). Expansive machineries are shattered but evidently, it does not seem like Templar care for the cost of damage.

"Friends..." Templar resumes, unphased. "This is a leap of faith. It is not I, however, who must choose to take it, for I have made that decision long ago. This leap, right now, is yours alone to take..."

With this he pulls his hood back over his head and turns his back to all of you, standing with hands behind his back, cloaked his long flowing scarlet cape. He stands there for a long time, in thoughts, and, the priest, either from the awkwardness of the situation or, perhaps, from a mental command, shuffles his feat and leaves the room.

Templar turns to face you now. His face, even without the face mask and half hidden under the shadow of his hood, makes him look more sombre rather than heroic.

"I agree that this is a tense situation, but I see undoubtedly that you, or most of you, fail to understand the need for my actions. I will offer you this, and this is truly your last chance. I offer you..." he says, then pauses, as if thinking.

"A tour of this facility." he finaly says. "I shall give you a tour of this facility, as a sign of my trust, perhaps, and in doing so, perhaps I might enlighten you on our purpose. I must warn you ahead, however, that our history is neither flawness nor saintly, but it is history nonetheless. Then, afterwards, as you seem to desire it, I shall allow you to go and consider my offer. either as a group or individually, it will be up to you to choose."

"To let you know ahead, and hopefully calm down some of the... tensions, I will let you go with your minds intact, either now as you wish or after the tour. But do realize that it isn't too difficult for me to find out if you do betray my confidence in letting you go. But to let you know ahead, should something like that ever happen, and I truly wish it will not, you must understand what I have to do..." he says.

"But please, I do not wish to be hostile. I ask only for your consideration."

Despite his words, the underlying tone hints a threat. Truly, as Phantom had come to realize, there was an "Or Else" somewhere. It just was never spoken.

[ooc- You know, a little off topic, but now that I think of it, what WOULD happen if Doctor Xavier was evil... :blink: Watch your backs, heroes! :poke: ]

Eddie stops pounding on the door when he realizes that he can't bring it down without possibly injuring one of his allies, and turns to address his captor. "Ya don't wish ta be hostile, huh?" Eddie is amused by Templar's last statement. "Then what was that fight about in tha corridor?"

"Look, hoss, we ain't your friends, your buddies, or you pals. We're your total strangers, an' ya haven't exactly been hospitable so far. Ya keep sayin' that ys don't want trouble, an' ya ask us ta join ya, but ya still threaten us. "For example, when ya say things like

I will offer you this, and this is truly your last chance....
they don't exactly inspire confidence. Forcin' people to work for ya under threat of what will happen if they don't makes ya no better than the ones ya would fight against."

"But, enough of that. Right now, I don't trust ya, and really want ta pummel ya into a gooey pulp, but I'm willin' ta give ya another chance, 'cause it sounds like ya don't know any better. I'll hold judgement 'till tha end of tha tour of whatever, unless there's any more funny stuff, in which case, I'll let loose. I apologize in advance ta any one who may be hurt in such a scenario, but I will not be made a slave again."

Templar looks at Eddie for a bit and, after a tense pause, he nods. He looks around at everyone, and, for a second, the air seems to feel less tense and violent. His voice is calmer.

"Well then, not a moment to lose. Let us begin with the room you all are in right now."

Templar gestures toward the entire room, holding his arms wide.

"As I have said, this very room is the nerve center of our operation in this continent. We've been working in the shadows for nearly 600 years now, and only recently have we established headquarters in the New World."

He walks down the stepts and sits himself at the console of the huge supercomputer, typing something into a panel. Suddenly, the huge screen vanishes and displays a gridded map of the world. You all notice there are 8 red markers around the world, one of them on top of Vigil City, but most of them in Europe.

"As you can see, we have outposts in all 4 corners of the world, tracking everything, everywhere." he taps a key.

The entire screen changes, now relaying data on activities. Blue dots blink on and off around the world. You notice routes tracing themselves, both slowly and quickly, across the map. The computer starts to beep incoherently. In a low volume, you hear indistinct conversation: phone tapping running through the computer as one jumbled sound unit, scanned and rescanned, their locations tracked.

"We know of almost every activities, or try to know at least, that occurs, from small arms deal to drug trafficking to weapons research. Our Order has contacts in almost every level of politics, every level of businesses, from corporations to law firms, everything. Now, you wonder, why would we go to such an extent?"

He turns in his chair to face you.

"Well, tell me something... How would you define evil?" he asks to anyone in general.

Pulse leans back in a chair taking a deep breath as he ponders not only the question but the whole situation. There needs to be a force fighting for the good of humanity but if they end up nothing more than slaves then have they saved anyone? " Evil has a thousand faces and just as may names," Pulse begin slowly rolling around this difficult question in his brain. "Mostly I'd say that evil is something that tries to destroy or control things for its own ends and not for the good of others." Pulse looks at Templar to gague his reaction to his answer.

Templar turns to face you for a second, and nods.

"Indeed, that is your interpretation of evil, and they are all true. Evil, I tell you, exists in many forms and in many places."

He taps something into the keyboard and after a bit, the screen changes. Across the globe, there suddenly pops hundreds, thousands of red blinking lights. There is the sound of police radio, newscast, screams, gunshots, destruction, all around. The man taps some more keys and the sounds dies out. A list appears on the screen, tracing down different profiles, from criminals to politicians with lists of their crime, speeding by.

Some pop out at you:

The Korinskies.

Triani, Marcus

Madison, Peter "Blind"

Grady, Bert

Aprillo, Lucillia "Scream"

Scorch, Jimmy "Broil"

The list goes on and on, as if endless.

Templar turns in his seat to look at all of you.

"This is our task. Our creed since the foundation of our Order. We are here to track criminals, to hunt them down, and to bring justice to them. We are not murderers, however. I will not lie and say we've never killed any evil-doers. We have, in rare cases when utterly necessary. But generally, we are dedicated to bringing these people to justice. We are unmerciful in this task, I have to say, for it is our belief that there is such a thing as a universal evil, and, no matter its motivation, all forms of it must be brought to vigilantly to justice for our world to benefit from it."

With this he stands and walks towards the door back into the hallway, waving for you to follow. He leads you back down the hall, turning first at the living quarters.

The room itself is rather cozy compared to the steel hallways outside. This part of the base is carpetted in red and there are plant pots here. There are about a dozen rooms divided into three corridors intersecting a recreation facility where a couch, a tv set and a small bar is set up. There is a fridge, a small kitchen, and a bookcase with about three dozen miscelaneous books (new and old), a computer terminal to the side, and even a pinball machine next to the bookcase.

Templar takes you to one of the room and these, while still cozy, are fairly spartan, with a desk, a bunk bed with two levels, two steel lockers per room, and a bathroom unit with a chemical toilet and a shower.

"In the past," Templar says. "We've had many bretherens, all of them devoted to our cause, and all of them skilled and gifted. We recruited amongst the best, some with supernatural gifts, some without."

He steps out from one of the room and looks around, as if remembering something from the past.

"In those days, I spent my time here with them. Even when my father was the head of this chapter, I still was required to serve amongst the Iniates. That recreation room there used to be a training gym, before we installed the simulator in the armory. We would wake up early in the morning and train, everyday, for nearly five hours, from martial arts to gymnastics, in that cramped little room."

He stands there, looking around the room. You have a feeling that, even for the long years he spent down here, this is one of the few times he actually went into this part of the base.

Assumin' I agree to this madness, I don't think I'll fit on one o' those little bunks, Eddie thinks as Templar guides them through the tour. At the mention of a training simulator, his ears perk up. "Simulator? Think we could see that, maybe try it out?"

"Follow me." Templar says.

Upon reaching the armory, the doors open to reveal an impenetrable darkness. As soon as Templar walks in, fluorescent lights start to blink dimly then lights, casting a light across the room. It's evidently quite dusty and messy, with machineries and parts lying around everywhere.

Against the north wall are four large pod-looking machines. Two of them are empty, while the other two are holding the same security robots the heroes encountered earlier. Unit 001 is offline at the first pod, while, in the back, Unit 004 is also offline but is also lacking a head and a gun arm (both lying on a table a few distance off). The other two pods are understandably empty for obvious reasons.

Along the south wall are about five sets of shelves, most of them filled with all sorts of junk, but some are racked with weaponries, from guns to missiles, big and small.

Along the far end of the room is a large blast door with the sign "Simulator Unit" next to it. Another door is next to this larger gateway, probably to the control room that runs the entire machine.

"This," Templar begins, "is the armory. We have collected here technologies from all across the world. There are things here that even the US Army has not even seen, and yet we have first crack at the stuff, thanks to your connections. Again, this is one of the reasons we must stay secret. There are things here that the public never even knew could exist."

"Such as the simulator..." Templar says, leading you to the control room. Its a small, cramped little room overlooking the simulator itself. There is a desktop running diagnostics on the current status of the simulation unit, a bunch of mumbo jumbo you probably won't make sense out of at first glance. The simulator itself is a spherical room with what looks like mirrors lining the wall. A large projector-looking apparatus hangs from the ceiling and is spinning steadily.

"You seem eager to test it..." Templar says to Eddie. "Perhaps one or two of you step in there, we might be able to give a demonstration of this wonderful machine."

"The simulator is designed for practice from one person to four." Templar responds and sits himself at the console. He taps a few button and, from your vantage point, you see the side of the simulator room open. From the looks of it, it seems those two large blast doors have been opened for access to the simulator unit. The lights inside the simulator turn from white to a fluorescent red.

"I wouldn't worry about a trap. If anything, I wouldn't want to damage my simulator unit..." he says.

Despite his emotionless tone, you have a feeling its a joke.